The Student Room Group

AQA Geography Unit 1 May 14th 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bumbakrak
What did people write about on the description of the dam? And what the hell were we supposed to write for socioeconomic and social welfare bit?? Last question, for glaciers what did people write for describing the glacier? Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

for glacier I described basal slippage and internal deformation then I realised the rest were on corries so I thought I could fit them in with a nice corrie description and formation..i also added a nice diagram :smile:
Reply 901
What case studies did people use for 15 marker population? I used china and France.

Posted from TSR Mobile
What did people write about on the description of the dam? And what the hell were we supposed to write for socioeconomic and social welfare bit?? Last question, for glaciers what did people write for describing the glacier? Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

I had no idea on the socioeconomic bit.. Maybe if aqa gave us ABIT MORE TIME I would've had time to read it and figure out what it was asking.. Was in such a rush to finish! But yeah I just waffled on those two questions

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 903
Original post by SoAce
I don't even know what that is :s-smilie:. I ended up drawing wave-cut platforms since i had a total blank:frown:.
Most of my class drew about Fjords though, was this correct since I though fjords were in rivers not coasts:frown:
Human sections were ok though, health 15 marker was relatively easy and most of the population was good as well.

Yeh fjords are right!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I just said how it is hard engineering, controls the discharge levels by sluice gates so in times of high precipitation/when there is a flood risk, less water is released into the river and vice versa to try and regulate the flow and reduce the magnitude-frequency.

For socio-economic characteristics (of the residents :confused: ) and social welfare, I hated that one! I basically rambled on, saying about unemployment rates in the two areas I had, public transport, schools, amenities...then made it up in the social welfare really...quite a bit of rambling went on :biggrin:

Is that for how it had changed position? Didn't really know how to answer it, tried to measure how much it had moved (got something over 1km), said it now faces northwest...blah blah blah. I sucked at that question.
Original post by Melissajwilson
I had no idea on the socioeconomic bit.. Maybe if aqa gave us ABIT MORE TIME I would've had time to read it and figure out what it was asking.. Was in such a rush to finish! But yeah I just waffled on those two questions

Posted from TSR Mobile

plan your time better. read it all first then answer the bits you know instantly, and that also gives you time to think bout bits you're unsure about.
Original post by homefind
What case studies did people use for 15 marker population? I used china and France.

Posted from TSR Mobile

SAME!!! oh and I wrote like the whole page and a half on china only lol then had to get extra paper which wasted my time :frown: ...what did u write about on that?
(edited 10 years ago)
Physical geography was horrific, didn't mind the dam question and the submergent feature, but other than that, what even :frown: Human wasn't bad though, loved the settlement questions even though I was convinced the wouldn't come up and the infectious disease question was great, we'd already answered that in class, just hope I haven't fluffed physical up to much :frown: think I wrote about the wrong thing river question

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by homefind

Posted from TSR Mobile

Me too but struggled to remember enough figures (but still relevant info in it!) so not sure how well I actually did...
omg what on earth did u have to write for the description of the dam? then did everyone talk about china's 3 gorges dam on the next one for advantages and disadvantages?
grade boundaries SHOULD be lower....
what did u have to write about importance of physical and human factors affecting river discharge on the rivers 15 marker?
Original post by hassanakhtaruk

don't know, from what I remember of the paper when I saw it, there were some quite okay questions, few toughies, but otherwise not a hugely bad paper. Have seen worse.

What was the socio-economic population (?) question? As in the actual question. May be able to give you rough idea on what AQA wanted.
what did u have to write about importance of physical and human factors affecting river discharge on the rivers 15 marker?

I talked about precipitation/rapid snow melt (need the water for the discharge), then things like relief, geology, vegetation and then for human factors I talked about urbanisation, afforestation/deforestation (kind of similar to vegetation) and land use ie. contour ploughing.
Reply 914
omg what on earth did u have to write for the description of the dam? then did everyone talk about china's 3 gorges dam on the next one for advantages and disadvantages?

You just had to describe it, i think I put something like:- large structure visibly made out of concrete, has caused environmental impacts as it is clear they have flooded the valley as compared to in front of the damn. Also it looks like it is situated in the lower course as there isn't much of a gradient

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 915

I wrote about....

Physical:
Geogology
vegetation
Slopes
Precipitation
Drainage Basin - Shape & Density

Human:
Urbanisation
Deforestation
Over farming soil due to agriculture

How all these affect river discharge and which is most important overall.
You could of brought in case studies here.

I panicked and used a Bangladesh study, I don't think I should have looking back. I did talk about the physical factors that affected discharge there and then how they were exacerbated by human factors but talking with my friends this seems wrong :frown:

AQA need to sort out their answer pages as well, I had to ask for paper for every single fifteen mark question! Embarrassing and the women took forever, five minutes wasted

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 917
Original post by JLKeating
I talked about precipitation/rapid snow melt (need the water for the discharge), then things like relief, geology, vegetation and then for human factors I talked about urbanisation, afforestation/deforestation (kind of similar to vegetation) and land use ie. contour ploughing.

I said all of the above haha, however I linked into my conclusion the idea about climate change and how it is indeed a natural process, however it is aided by human activity

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 918

I hope they are of I'm going to have to resit:frown:
Grade boundaries for past test?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending