The Student Room Group

OCR HISTORY A F964/02 - 14th May 2013

Hi everyone,

Couldn't find a thread for the sources paper (F964/02), so thought I could create one.

I personally did the American Civil War, which wasn't the best paper ever, but also not the worst.

How did everyone else do?

M.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I've just done the Democracy and Dictatorship in Germany 1933-63 paper and I'm so glad it wasn't on post-war! I think my 30 marker was a bit of a mess (especially the beginning part) but the 70 marker seemed okay. I'm not too sure about my grouping though
Reply 2
Original post by auralay
I've just done the Democracy and Dictatorship in Germany 1933-63 paper and I'm so glad it wasn't on post-war! I think my 30 marker was a bit of a mess (especially the beginning part) but the 70 marker seemed okay. I'm not too sure about my grouping though

The 30 marker for me went terribly... I just saw the sources, panicked, and started writing without thinking about the question. I think I managed to write something intelligent for it, but the structure was probably terrible.

I managed to pull myself together for the 70 marker and am mainly pleased with that answer. Especially pleased with my provenance, considering that's usually where I lose marks... and found 3 solid groups, so not too bad.

Not one of my best, not one of my worst.

I just wish I could re-sit in January (damn you, Gove)!
Reply 3
I did American Civil War as well, thought the question was quite nice but struggled with the timing a bit
Reply 4
I did the cold war in Asia and it wasn't that bad but the 70 marker was phrased really weirdly
Reply 5
I did the Revolution in France 1877-1795
the section A question was pretty broad, and the sources A and B weren't very similar in many ways at all.
Section B was a great question, the economic factors being the main reason for unrest in MAY 1789... even though it was before any of the really good stuff in the revolution.. But I quite enjoyed the exam, and the time frame was fine I found..
:biggrin:
Reply 6
I did the Cold War in Asia - I was dreading Vietnam and it came up :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by Georgie1903
I did the cold war in Asia and it wasn't that bad but the 70 marker was phrased really weirdly

It wasn't too bad considering I had no knowledge on Vietnam lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
How did everyone else find the democracy and dictatorship question, I thought it was quite hard as we were really restricted on what periods we could give provenance etc.

The part a) really annoyed me, the question was really vague and I spent like 5 mins too long planning. I feel that I rushed and basicly ended up making speculative points which led to part b.

I thought the main points were.

Use of Hindenburg, C) implies manipulation, E) implies that Hindenburg felt Hitler was the right person
Use of propaganda c) Reference to Goebbels,E) Piece of propaganda in itself
Use of reversal policy in order to gain public favour. c) Day Potsdam after intimidation SA, d) Infers Night of Long Knives to remove SA

I concluded C as the most useful as it is a 'liberal family' and would naturally have vested interest but it still shows public supported it etc and E was useful in showing Hitler's attempts to curry favor and as it was in 1942 may be result loss of morale in 1942 meaning Hitler needed to re-affirm postion

b)

I grouped A, C, D as showing Hitler needed public consent but only to a limited amount. I grouped E and b (with inference) to show that Hitler needed governmential support but was able to manipulate it in order to get consent

A, C, D

I said that they were all propaganda, tried to promote Nazi aims in order to win 2/3 majority, fact Hitler would exclude groups who may oppose. I.e Source D SPD report in exile and the fact that women would be demoted to becoming housewives etc (Source C says the mother wept or something) and gave evidence of the 3 ks etc.

I also argued that Hitler would drastically reverse his policy to achieve this, i.e D in the night of long knives in order to make the public in favour of Hitler for ridding of the SA and Source C with the idea that it was 21st Potsdam, Hitler trying to downplay SA.

I grouped E and D

E showed Hitler needed Hindenburg's 'blessing' and Hitler needed the 'munich police support'. However then went on to argue that he manipulated this in order to get consent, i.e Himmler head of the munich Police and D Hitler was able to gain Hindenburg's support an example being the Feb 27 Reichstag fire.

Problem is, I ended there and I don't think I made enough comparisons with my second grouping, so I'm worried now i won't be able to get any more than a level 4 :/
How did everyone else find it? The Part A just completely threw me off and then I didn't have enough time for Part B and didn't plan enough.

Wish we had January exams!
Reply 9
Original post by Michaelfromwales
How did everyone else find the democracy and dictatorship question, I thought it was quite hard as we were really restricted on what periods we could give provenance etc.

The part a) really annoyed me, the question was really vague and I spent like 5 mins too long planning. I feel that I rushed and basicly ended up making speculative points which led to part b.

Use of Hindenburg, C) implies manipulation, E) implies that Hindenburg felt Hitler was the right person
Use of reversal policy in order to gain public favour. c) Day Potsdam after intimidation SA, d) Infers Night of Long Knives to remove SA

I concluded C as the most useful as it is a 'liberal family' and would naturally have vested interest but it still shows public supported it etc and E was useful in showing Hitler's attempts to curry favor and as it was in 1942 may be result loss of morale in 1942 meaning Hitler needed to re-affirm postion

b)

I grouped A, C, D as showing Hitler needed public consent but only to a limited amount. I grouped E and b (with inference) to show that Hitler needed governmential support but was able to manipulate it in order to get consent

A, C, D

I said that they were all propaganda, tried to promote Nazi aims in order to win 2/3 majority, fact Hitler would exclude groups who may oppose. I.e Source D SPD report in exile and the fact that women would be demoted to becoming housewives etc (Source C says the mother wept or something) and gave evidence of the 3 ks etc.

I also argued that Hitler would drastically reverse his policy to achieve this, i.e D in the night of long knives in order to make the public in favour of Hitler for ridding of the SA and Source C with the idea that it was 21st Potsdam, Hitler trying to downplay SA.

I grouped E and D

E showed Hitler needed Hindenburg's 'blessing' and Hitler needed the 'munich police support'. However then went on to argue that he manipulated this in order to get consent, i.e Himmler head of the munich Police and D Hitler was able to gain Hindenburg's support an example being the Feb 27 Reichstag fire.

Problem is, I ended there and I don't think I made enough comparisons with my second grouping, so I'm worried now i won't be able to get any more than a level 4 :/
How did everyone else find it? The Part A just completely threw me off and then I didn't have enough time for Part B and didn't plan enough.

Ah thank goodness - was really worried about my groupings but I grouped them in the exact same way as you!

Yeah, I had the structure of both essays set in my mind before I went in but it all sort of fell apart from that point, haha. I'm fairly optimistic that I included the main things I needed to though - content, provenance, contextual knowledge, cross-referencing etc...

Think we answered question pretty similarly judging by your post, which reassures me as half the time in that exam I didn't feel I had any direction with what I was rambling on about! I mentioned Goebbels, the liberal family and lack of vested interest, Night of the Long Knives etc. for question A as well. Can't even remember which I concluded to be the strongest source now :s-smilie:

My 70 marker didn't really have any structure at all. I started by explaining my groupings briefly, then looked at content & provenance of the first group and then the second group, but then it just wandered off into something completely unstructured.
Reply 10
Original post by Ndella
I did the Cold War in Asia - I was dreading Vietnam and it came up :frown:

Oh my god I was the same - Vietnam had been my most confident area when we were actually being taught it throughout the year whilst I had never been too confident on the other areas so revised the other areas to death whilst only slightly touched on the Vietnam War.

I was so gutted when it came up, although I agree - you could have easily gotten a B (and an A if you were really skilled!) without much of your own knowledge towards the situation of Vietnam, the sources did help you considerably. You just had to really understand that the government of South Vietnam under Diem was corrupt, which practically led my answer for the 70 mark question.
Original post by Michaelfromwales

b)

A, C, D

I grouped E and D

Hello, I did this exam!

Yes, that question was horrible and I was so disappointed with myself and with the exam paper.

Part A I don't think was that bad, being part A and all.

I talked about Hitler gaining power through legal means, propaganda campaign to gain him support, gaining power through the failure and political incompetence of others, manipulating his policies to gain the support of important groups in society - church.

I definitely think this part was ok.

However, part B left me reeling with fury. 30 years of revision, facts, understanding - pointless. RELIED ON CONSENT?

So my groups were

1) supports interpretation that Hitler relied on consent to consolidate power

- support of the church essential at this early stage: most germans christian, 17000 pastors, christian schools, christian conservatives, you get the picture. Concordat - they wouldn't intervene with policies and hitler left church alone and catholic youth group. "morality" of nazi party - lies as propaganda as nazi policies and beliefs of Untermenschen and Herrenvolk contradicted Christian values of equality and "love thy neighbour" (yes, i really wrote that in an exam. I am ashamed.)

- support of Hindenburg "blessing" - approval of Hitler essential as he had presidential powers to elect chancellor, admired and adored by german public, hitler needed to show that Hindenburg supported him. (lies/propaganda/vested interest as Hindenburg didn't like hitler or nazis). Hindenburg electing him (using own knowledge despite his personal dislike and distrust) to show hitler's political skill when all others proved incompetent (political intrigue between von papen and von schleicher - Hindenburg lost faith in the government)
- also if Hindenburg hadn't elected hitler it was unlikely he could ever come to power due to support for nazi party being in decline therefore from then on would be increasingly difficult to achieve majority in Reichstag and hitler knew this

1) HItler did not rely on the consent of others, it was he and he alone who made his decisions

- Night of the long knives - bore responsibility of murder - Got away with legal murder of political opposition - decisiveness - was a brutal event and did not think twice about losing the support of groups in society because of it
- said something to do with army but cannot remember
- declare merciless war - again did not care if people disagreed with nazi values and beliefes, would not stop at any length to get rid of opposition and did not care if this lost him support
- 5000 concentration camp political prisoners - accurate due to the truth

PROVENANCE - some rambling about unreliability, vested interest of nazi writers to glorify competence of nazis, the fact that they had little opposition of would do anything to get rid of it etc etc etc WAS NOT AS GOOD AS IT COULD HAVE BEEN

I had long provenance comments about each, but God help me, I did not have a conclusion.

Someone PLEASE tell me if there are only so many marks you can be awarded without a conclusion????? SCREWED THIS UP. :frown:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by izzyausten
Oh my god I was the same - Vietnam had been my most confident area when we were actually being taught it throughout the year whilst I had never been too confident on the other areas so revised the other areas to death whilst only slightly touched on the Vietnam War.

I was so gutted when it came up, although I agree - you could have easily gotten a B (and an A if you were really skilled!) without much of your own knowledge towards the situation of Vietnam, the sources did help you considerably. You just had to really understand that the government of South Vietnam under Diem was corrupt, which practically led my answer for the 70 mark question.

Vietnam was my worst lol. I was really hoping for containment since it was the easiest topic and Vietnam has come up for like the last 3 years or so. Hopefully we at least get a B since I based ALL my knowledge on the sources :s-smilie:
Reply 13
So am I the only person who grouped Democracy and Dictatorship A B and C, D E?
I concluded that C, D and E agreed with interpretation, but A and B show he needed violence and civil suppression to consolidate power. Really worried! Is there the one correct grouping or could I be correct as well?
Original post by Josh567
I concluded that C, D and E agreed with interpretation, but A and B show he needed violence and civil suppression to consolidate power. Really worried! Is there the one correct grouping or could I be correct as well?

Of course not! Your grouping is fine, any is - they're interpretations - as long as it's backed up by own knowledge and justified with provenance
Original post by Josh567

All the mark schemes I looked at for part B's says that there is no set grouping/answers. As long as your argument is convincing and backed up you'll be fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Young Hot Stalin
Hello, I did this exam!

Yes, that question was horrible and I was so disappointed with myself and with the exam paper.

Part A I don't think was that bad, being part A and all.

I talked about Hitler gaining power through legal means, propaganda campaign to gain him support, gaining power through the failure and political incompetence of others, manipulating his policies to gain the support of important groups in society - church.

I definitely think this part was ok.

However, part B left me reeling with fury. 30 years of revision, facts, understanding - pointless. RELIED ON CONSENT?

So my groups were

1) supports interpretation that Hitler relied on consent to consolidate power

- support of the church essential at this early stage: most germans christian, 17000 pastors, christian schools, christian conservatives, you get the picture. Concordat - they wouldn't intervene with policies and hitler left church alone and catholic youth group. "morality" of nazi party - lies as propaganda as nazi policies and beliefs of Untermenschen and Herrenvolk contradicted Christian values of equality and "love thy neighbour" (yes, i really wrote that in an exam. I am ashamed.)

- support of Hindenburg "blessing" - approval of Hitler essential as he had presidential powers to elect chancellor, admired and adored by german public, hitler needed to show that Hindenburg supported him. (lies/propaganda/vested interest as Hindenburg didn't like hitler or nazis). Hindenburg electing him (using own knowledge despite his personal dislike and distrust) to show hitler's political skill when all others proved incompetent (political intrigue between von papen and von schleicher - Hindenburg lost faith in the government)
- also if Hindenburg hadn't elected hitler it was unlikely he could ever come to power due to support for nazi party being in decline therefore from then on would be increasingly difficult to achieve majority in Reichstag and hitler knew this

1) HItler did not rely on the consent of others, it was he and he alone who made his decisions

- Night of the long knives - bore responsibility of murder - Got away with legal murder of political opposition - decisiveness - was a brutal event and did not think twice about losing the support of groups in society because of it
- said something to do with army but cannot remember
- declare merciless war - again did not care if people disagreed with nazi values and beliefes, would not stop at any length to get rid of opposition and did not care if this lost him support
- 5000 concentration camp political prisoners - accurate due to the truth

PROVENANCE - some rambling about unreliability, vested interest of nazi writers to glorify competence of nazis, the fact that they had little opposition of would do anything to get rid of it etc etc etc WAS NOT AS GOOD AS IT COULD HAVE BEEN

I had long provenance comments about each, but God help me, I did not have a conclusion.

Someone PLEASE tell me if there are only so many marks you can be awarded without a conclusion????? SCREWED THIS UP. :frown:

What you done ie using own knowledge is fine for provenance as it tests whether source is true or not. The grade boundaries for this exam is always rather low. Its varied between 69-72 for an A over the past few years because its such a hard exam

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by MissDW
I did the Revolution in France 1777-1795
the section A question was pretty broad, and the sources A and B weren't very similar in many ways at all.
Section B was a great question, the economic factors being the main reason for unrest in MAY 1789... even though it was before any of the really good stuff in the revolution.. But I quite enjoyed the exam, and the time frame was fine I found..
:biggrin:

I did that one too! The 70 marker was amazing, although I wanted to include way more than I had time to. The first question was fine, I think I just waffled about a couple of small similarities. Still, there was quite a lot to say at least. The only annoying thing was that I learnt so many dates and only got to use one or two!
Reply 18
Original post by Ndella
Vietnam was my worst lol. I was really hoping for containment since it was the easiest topic and Vietnam has come up for like the last 3 years or so. Hopefully we at least get a B since I based ALL my knowledge on the sources :s-smilie:

I can't really remember anything I put anymore haha, my basic conclusion throughout the essay was basically that I believed America did support Vietnam by a fair amount, but the supporting was more for their own cause (to prevent the spread of communism/prevent the domino theory from coming true) and that the aid was going to the wrong places (the corrupt government of Diem) so therefore it appeared as if America was not giving much aid..

Reply 19
Anyone do the paper on German Reformation?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest