The Student Room Group

Who's sitting the AQA Certificate In Science GCSE exams May/June 2013?

Sorry if this has already been asked but I'd just like to get an idea of who's sitting these exams. For anyone who doesn't know AQA have created a new science qualification called the AQA certificate in Science which is much harder if the specimen papers are anything to go by. Because it's new those of us sitting it in may/june 2013 are the first ones to do it so we have no idea what it's gonna be like. I'm just hoping the grade boundaries are low...if you are sitting these exams please can you write below and if it's not too intrusive tell me what school/centre you go to? Thank you :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
We were going to sit it, but it didn't qualify for government funding so we switched to the triple-science GCSEs. I wouldn't say they're harder compared to separate science, but they're more rigorous in that they don't have pointless things like "How Science Works".
Reply 2
Im sittin in June the dual science award ut hve not revised and zm strugglig..any tips?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm doing the AQA certificates in chem and bio . . . The specimen papers are much harder than the ordinary gcse ones but not too challenging. I don't think many state schools are doing it and generally private schools do better than state schools, so I hope the boundaries aren't too high. And also they can't give like only the top 10% A* cos there will be many candidates who would get A* at gcse, so I imagine around 30% will get A*. Also, it works in our favour cos as u said we're the first year ever so the grade boundaries should be lower.

Good luck!

Btw I go to a good private school in the northeast of England (contrary to popular belief, there are clever people in Newcastle!)
Reply 4
What school? i go to a private in the north west lool
Original post by aliahh7007
What school? i go to a private in the north west lool

The RGS
Reply 6
I'm doing this for dual award and I'm quite worried. It looks hard
Reply 7
im strugglig revising .. have you revised? ive got biology mock monday lol
Reply 8
Original post by aliahh7007
im strugglig revising .. have you revised? ive got biology mock monday lol

You've got the real thing on Tuesday!
Reply 9
ive got real thing next month
Reply 10
I've got Biology tomorrow! Apparently,the specimen papers are far too hard so apparently AQA are making the real exam(s) easier.
Reply 11
Original post by AlecRobertson
I've got Biology tomorrow! Apparently,the specimen papers are far too hard so apparently AQA are making the real exam(s) easier.

The specimens are hard. I just did the bio specimen and then marked it and I did absolutely crap. It's quite worrying considering the exam is tomorrow but where did you hear that they are making the real exams easier? How could you possibly know that?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by samy1014
The specimens are hard. I just did the bio specimen and then marked it and I did absolutely crap. It's quite worrying considering the exam is tomorrow but where did you hear that they are making the real exams easier? How could you possibly know that?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry, I don't 'know' that the papers will be easier, but my school were pretty confident that they would be. There have been lots of complaints apparently about the specimen papers being too hard.
Reply 13
How did everybody find it? I actually thought it was relatively easy - much easier than the specimen papers!
Reply 14
Quite easy to be honest the specimen's were a lot harder! But everyone else found it hard so I'm a little skeptical
Reply 15
It was alright. I did double award and some of the questions were a little ambiguous but it was ok. As I expected it was harder than AQA science exams are usually and I was surprised to see a 5 mark question for question 1

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Original post by Claudia_gx
Quite easy to be honest the specimen's were a lot harder! But everyone else found it hard so I'm a little skeptical

I agree (I did dual by the way)!

The only question that I know I got wrong was the one about the red blood cell and how it shrank. I talked about diffusion; osmosis didn't even come to my mind (I didn't think it was talking about water).

It seemed to me that the first question was the hardest and then it got easier.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 17
It was alright. I did double award and some of the questions were a little ambiguous but it was ok. As I expected it was harder than AQA science exams are usually and I was surprised to see a 5 mark question for question 1

Posted from TSR Mobile

There were so many 5 markers and only 1 6 marker, which really surprised me.
Reply 18

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, the one about the red blood cell was like that and the first question to a certain degree.
Reply 19
Original post by AlecRobertson
Yeah, the one about the red blood cell was like that and the first question to a certain degree.

I didn't like that evolution one. It seemed silly but then again I find the whole topic silly! I just waffled about natural selection. Hopefully I can get marks for that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest