The Student Room Group

Talking to cute guy on uni's library

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Mark85
I mean what happened when you were a kid? Did you never go to the park or play out and meet other kids? Do you never go out and end up chatting to people. Do you not chat to people when you are in a queue in the shops or when you are waiting somewhere?

Never done any of that; didn't you have a Megadrive? What's the point in going outside when you have Sonic?
Original post by That Bearded Man
Ask him about Cummingtonite :wink:

Cumingtonite+_f9d8aac4820033eae4dee70827fdd03c.jpg

lol, amazing.

OP are you catching his eye and smiling or breaking away once he realises?
Original post by Mark85
I don't even know if it is a cultural thing but to me, it is kind of engrained that the guy who never lets on is the weird and antisocial one - not the genuine guy who walks around with a smile on his face and takes the time to chat with people around him. I mean, in my block of flats, there is this one woman, about my age and when you see her on the stairs - she barely says hi and if you see her out and about, she barely acknowledges you but within out flats - she is seen as the weird one; not the rest of us who just say hi and like to get along with people. I can just imagine if she were a student she would be on here making threads saying 'OMG some randomers who live in my flats just randomly speak to me as if they know me, lol, what is their problem?!'

Judging from what I read on here and also my experiences from going to uni, there seems to be this thing where people are only friends with those they know from a specific few formal environments where it is acceptable to be friendly i.e. they have their school friends and then they go off to uni and are allowed to be friendly with their flatmates in the student accommodation and then are allowed a one in a lifetime opportunity to make friends with people during freshers week and after that - that is all the people they are allowed to talk to normally unless they join a society where there are designated social events etc.

..I am just glad I didn't grow up with the internet.

I grew up before the internet, but in London. And I also am virtually unable to speak to people I don't know unless there is a really good reason. And the fact that someone is of the opposite gender and attractive is emphatically NOT a 'good reason'. I mean, most women are sick and tired of attempts to chat them up in 'pubs, on the street, wherever...
Reply 63
Original post by aari
Just flash your sweetest smile! Works like a charm :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

"Flash" :wink:
Reply 64
and help you with your shoe laces.
Reply 65
Original post by Voyager_2002
I grew up before the internet, but in London. And I also am virtually unable to speak to people I don't know unless there is a really good reason. And the fact that someone is of the opposite gender and attractive is emphatically NOT a 'good reason'. I mean, most women are sick and tired of attempts to chat them up in 'pubs, on the street, wherever...

In my experience, women don't react badly to mild flirtation, let alone friendly chat unless you are a bit creepy about it or something.

In any case, it is possible to talk to the opposite sex out of pure friendliness rather than just trying to get into their pants. I think from the sounds of people who post on here - guys are being way too earnest about all of this stuff and that is what makes them come across as too serious or even worse - weird. Maybe people should practise chatting and making friends with their own gender first of all so they don't fall into the trap of thinking that every conversation with the opposite sex is to do with getting a shag.

People also need to put rejection into perspective. Rejection is when you develop feelings for someone and they aren't interested or when your mates or your girlfriend give you the elbow. It certainly isn't because you say hi to a stranger and they give you the cold shoulder or chat some bird up and she says 'not a chance sunshine'.
Go for it, he's probably thinking the same as you but is too shy to act on it.
Walk past where he's sitting with a pile of heavy books and purposely pretend to trip and drop your books on the floor. He'll have to get up and help you... Then you can say omg thanks that was embarrassing... And he'll be like ha its fine and gaze into your eyes...then you can say my names bla...then he'll tell you his name then you can say how's revision going... And there you have it :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by bubblyraindrop
Walk past where he's sitting with a pile of heavy books and purposely pretend to trip and drop your books on the floor. He'll have to get up and help you... Then you can say omg thanks that was embarrassing... And he'll be like ha its fine and gaze into your eyes...then you can say my names bla...then he'll tell you his name then you can say how's revision going... And there you have it :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Although I think that guy would probably know that it was done on purpose, still it's an effective way of getting his attention and engaging into a conversation.
Original post by Yawn11
Who the hell says that to a stranger? Outside of wonderland I mean.

Why wouldn't you say that to a stranger? As the OP pointed out, he's revising chemistry and he's shy.

So unless you suggest that OP entertains him with a striptease, I think asking him that is the least riskiest approach.

I mean, at the very least you'll find out how his revision is going, wouldn't you? :P
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by James A
Although I think that guy would probably know that it was done on purpose, still it's an effective way of getting his attention and engaging into a conversation.

If she makes a realistic trip and clumsy fall and puts a little blusher on her cheeks before hand to look embarassed and flustered, it could look legit.
Reply 71
If she makes a realistic trip and clumsy fall and puts a little blusher on her cheeks before hand to look embarassed and flustered, it could look legit.

Speaking from experience, are you? :wink:
Original post by Emre944
Speaking from experience, are you? :wink:

8-) no...... :P
Off topic, but OP, how did you get so many warning points :confused: Am I missing something here?
Original post by Yawn11
Who the hell says that to a stranger? Outside of wonderland I mean.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Original post by cambio wechsel
You: Is it chemistry?
Him: Yes, it is.
You: Yeah, I'm feeling it too.

Brilliant! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sounds like a great idea although sounds like something straight out of a romantic film.
But it should work if done convincingly...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why make life so complicated?

Half way through the morning, either go and quietly say to him, or hand him a note saying, "I shall be going for a coffee break in about 15 minutes: would you care to join me?".
Reply 78
Original post by RHCPfan
and help you with your shoe laces.

Yeah, "laces"
Reply 79
OK guys i'm seeing him next Monday and i've come up with this idea:
I "accidentally" pick a seat next to him and then say "this is not possible, every time I come to the library you're here. How many exams have you got?"

On a scale from 0 to 10, 0 being "stupid" and 10 being "excellent", how would you grade my idea?
:biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending