The Student Room Group

Arsey's Edexcel M1 Summer 2013 Model Solutions BOTH PAPERS

Scroll to see replies

Reply 240
Original post by nukethemaly
Since 5d is for 2 marks, they MIGHT ecf, but i'm not sure, either way you'll still lose A1 mark there. and as long as you feel like your method was okay you'll lose maybe a mark or two for 5c. Same thing goes for 7cii.

you will gain method marks here and there, and only lose accuracy marks, hopefully. Let's hope the mark scheme is lenient.

so all together how many marks would i lose best case and worst case scenario?
Reply 241
those who did not like or do the moment question.
All of us struggled and bamboozled till we ask our teacher and he said it was simple to do.
You can take moments anywhere and could take moments from the weight and found out distance first before finding the mass of it.

though to one of my friends, he recons it was harder than the jan 2009 paper 49/75 for an A?? so around the same marks again or will it be around around mids 50's??!!
Reply 242
Original post by Robbie242
Vectors

3 marks for both parts, they are of equal worth

Yeah 1 mark dropped.

Being a bit realistic I'll say 63/75 for an A, though it could turn out like C1 in Jan again. Nearly everyone in the FM class crumbled to this paper

oh wow i thought it would be 2 and 4 :O and have i said you're awesome??
Arsey, what do you reckon a B or C in this exam would be? Surely it would be quite low assuming most people achieving the B/C would've completely messed up the moments question. I was aiming for the A but now I'm just hoping for just a respectable grade so that I can balance it with FP1 and D1 if possible - and then retake in the summer, lol.
Reply 244
Original post by gandanmo
oh wow i thought it would be 2 and 4 :O and have i said you're awesome??

I would think similar but I guess not (may be different for moments Q as that is simultaneous equations). And cheers, please don't take my M1 and A1's as 100% true they are just rough predictions
Reply 245
Original post by mikeabc
those who did not like or do the moment question.
All of us struggled and bamboozled till we ask our teacher and he said it was simple to do.
You can take moments anywhere and could take moments from the weight and found out distance first before finding the mass of it.

though to one of my friends, he recons it was harder than the jan 2009 paper 49/75 for an A?? so around the same marks again or will it be around around mids 50's??!!

I would like to say mid 50's but I'm expecting grade inflation to drag it up to about 61-65 out of 75
Reply 246
I would like to say mid 50's but I'm expecting grade inflation to drag it up to about 61-65 out of 75

what grade inflation and meaning...??
Hello. I was just wondering if someone could help me through this paper. It's fair to say I did really badly. I was just wondering if someone could try and see how many marks I'm looking at? :')
I don't really understand mark schemes at all, hehe.

Thank you in advance everyone! :biggrin:
Reply 248
Original post by mikeabc
what grade inflation and meaning...??

Loads of people get A's pushes up boundaries
Hey u guys can u tel me what u lot think about the grade boundries for this exam
Hey, For the lift one I stupidly put the lift as accelerating with magnitude 2ms^2 on both parts how many marks would i lose and would i get e.c.f if i did all the right working with it accelerating? also on question 7 c ii) I got the wrong answer, how many marks is this worth? and finally for 8 c) i got the wrong bearing but the magnitude correct. How many marks would I lose for each of these? thanks
hello, in 8(b) if I say 11.76m do I still have any marks?
Loads of people get A's pushes up boundaries

Yeah but if its a hard paper, less people will get A's so grades will go down. IMO A will be around 60-61.
Reply 253
Original post by richardbrand0902
Hey, For the lift one I stupidly put the lift as accelerating with magnitude 2ms^2 on both parts how many marks would i lose and would i get e.c.f if i did all the right working with it accelerating? also on question 7 c ii) I got the wrong answer, how many marks is this worth? and finally for 8 c) i got the wrong bearing but the magnitude correct. How many marks would I lose for each of these? thanks

if you use 2ms^-2 instead of -2, then you proably loose one mark possibly 2 depending on how harsh edexcel will be. with regards to ECF i dont know cos in one past paper i did the right working out but made a mistake in another part of the question so i only got the method marks.
if you got the wrong answer, you will only loose the final answer mark.

sorry cant help on 8c) didnt have time for it.
Original post by mikeabc
if you use 2ms^-2 instead of -2, then you proably loose one mark possibly 2 depending on how harsh edexcel will be. with regards to ECF i dont know cos in one past paper i did the right working out but made a mistake in another part of the question so i only got the method marks.
if you got the wrong answer, you will only loose the final answer mark.

sorry cant help on 8c) didnt have time for it.

Thanks, and on the vectors in 7C is each part worth 3 marks or is part ii worth more ? thanks
additionally if i did all the right method for questions 1b) but put the wrong answer would i just lose the answer mark? thans
Reply 255
Original post by richardbrand0902
Thanks, and on the vectors in 7C is each part worth 3 marks or is part ii worth more ? thanks
additionally if i did all the right method for questions 1b) but put the wrong answer would i just lose the answer mark? thans

providing your method is correct, if you have the wrong answer then yes you will loose the final answer mark

for 7c) i would have thought 3 marks each but i not really sure. IMO it will either be 3 marks each or 2 mark for i) or 4 marks for ii)
Reply 256
Original post by hochungyan
hello, in 8(b) if I say 11.76m do I still have any marks?

Yes, 6/5mgN is the same as 11.76mN.
Reply 257
Original post by Mister Cery
Yeah but if its a hard paper, less people will get A's so grades will go down. IMO A will be around 60-61.

True I agree that sounds like a fair mark
Reply 258
Original post by Arsey
yep, it is very rare that candidates do this.

I tell my students never to cross anything out unless they are certain it is wrong. They still cross correct stuff out.

When will the mark scheme be released?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 259
MS are normally released a week or so before the results. Boundaries normally the day before the results.

I have posted solutions to the internation paper if anyone is interested.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending