The Student Room Group

How do you choose?

Just a thought for the day, How do people choose their career, like not just a job to get them income I mean their career they intend to do the rest of their life etc.?

Like I followed my studies and what I was "good" or "best" at and managed to land a pretty decent job for my age but I don’t really like it if I’m honest, and I think I really need to figure out what I actually would like doing for a job.

I'm sure many others are in a similar position and too be honest for some it can be a real big problem, for me I feel quite disheartened going into a job I don’t enjoy, but at the moment I don’t have any real alternatives.

That being said I feel fortunate to have a job at my age (23) and education level (HND) as allot of people don’t have jobs, but still I wonder,

How do people find out what is the RIGHT or BEST job for them?

Has anyone found their passion and made a living from it?

And what steps have others taken to pursue their passions or ideal careers? did you have to start over academically? or did you just volunteer until it lead to work?

I'd really love to hear from some of you on this topic
(edited 10 years ago)
Choose something you're good at and have some aptitude for. Other things like interest,prestige, salary and desire etc. carry different weighting with different people, some people value being interested in their work and others don't. Just like some want to know they are making a difference and others don't care and just want a paycheck.

Personally, I chose mine because I have always had aptitude for maths and numbers, find business interesting and enjoy interacting with new people.
Reply 2
Original post by Tokyoround
Choose something you're good at and have some aptitude for. Other things like interest,prestige, salary and desire etc. carry different weighting with different people, some people value being interested in their work and others don't. Just like some want to know they are making a difference and others don't care and just want a paycheck.

Personally, I chose mine because I have always had aptitude for maths and numbers, find business interesting and enjoy interacting with new people.

Thanks for the reply! I personally have to be interested and enjoy somthing I do, I think thats most important for me, but my current line of work I dont have either :P lol

I am interested in alot of IT related stuf but im doing application support and I hate helpdesk work, dislike communicating over phones and have no interest in the application im supporting lol

I think I'd like being a network technician because I like working with my hands and practical work, but I've got a steep learning curve comming from a primarily software background.

Other than that most of my likes are around practical/manual work but I have no qualifications or much experience in these (just got all IT qualifications, well that and a business diploma and a fitness certificate)

Have considered moving into fitness/sports careers before because I really do enjoy practicing it and preaching it, and enjoy to talk about it, but I felt somewhat inferior or intimidated to other guys on my course, while I had more technical knowledge of the subject, they were alot more social and confident, which I think is fairly important to coaching/instructing sport.

Thanks for the reply anyway though man, what job is it you do if you dont mind me asking? genuinely interested.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending