The Student Room Group

How hairy should a girl be?

Okay.

I shave my legs and armpits, but not 'there'.
I tried once, and it was really horrible, but I don't think I did it properly.
Now it's annoying me, so I want to try again.

Is there any way that works best for most people?
It really depends on the person. The only reason I can see is for your boyfriend, but then they should like you with or without it so I don't really see the point of shaving it off and getting that stubbly irritation!

If you're sure you want to get rid of it, it might be an idea to start waxing because it doesn't leave such a harsh stubble when it starts to grow back and you don't have to worry about cuts from the odd shape you have to work around and not being able to see properly what you're doing.
If your doing it then do it everytime you have a shower to prevent the stubbly pain! Think advice on it is to cut it then shave it...
Reply 3
I think if you're gonna get your lady parts done, it's best to get it done professionally but who has the time or money for that? :/ it's entirely your own decision how hairy to be, nobody can tell you that you are too hairy (if they do they're probably bastards and you should disown them as friends/relatives/romantic partners).
waxing is way better than shaving if you want to go down the hair removal route
Reply 5
No hair down there, totally shaven/waxed
Reply 6
Just trimming should be fine. If it's important to you to do more than that, keep it to a minimum, unless you have a very responsible salon professional at hand. When I returned to the UK from a year in Germany, my mum's salonist was quite shocked at how my salonist in Germany had irresponsibly encouraged me to get more removed each time, the regrowth issues of which had caused quite a lot of scarring (from trapped hairs/blocked follicles). Digging hairs out of patches of inflamed skin and pus on your groin is not an enjoyable experience. Regular exfoliation is supposed to help prevent this but it doesn't really do much (at least, it didn't for me) and you can't exfoliate for a day or two after the waxing anyway, which is enough time for problems to start up.

Edit: The above is about waxing by the way. If I want to tidy things up beyond trimming I'll just shave a little off the top/sides, so it looks like a slightly smaller and neater version of its previous self. I still haven't worked out whether it's best to moisturise or not after - even perfume-free lotions seem to be unpleasant. But then damaged skin from shaving is also unpleasant.
(edited 10 years ago)
As hairy as she likes.
At the end of the day it's her hair, her body and so it's her choice.
Original post by Ronove
Just trimming should be fine. If it's important to you to do more than that, keep it to a minimum, unless you have a very responsible salon professional at hand. When I returned to the UK from a year in Germany, my mum's salonist was quite shocked at how my salonist in Germany had irresponsibly encouraged me to get more removed each time, the regrowth issues of which had caused quite a lot of scarring (from trapped hairs/blocked follicles). Digging hairs out of patches of inflamed skin and pus on your groin is not an enjoyable experience. Regular exfoliation is supposed to help prevent this but it doesn't really do much (at least, it didn't for me) and you can't exfoliate for a day or two after the waxing anyway, which is enough time for problems to start up.

Edit: The above is about waxing by the way. If I want to tidy things up beyond trimming I'll just shave a little off the top/sides, so it looks like a slightly smaller and neater version of its previous self. I still haven't worked out whether it's best to moisturise or not after - even perfume-free lotions seem to be unpleasant. But then damaged skin from shaving is also unpleasant.

I thought it was just me that didn't get on with waxing! way too many ingrown hairs. I don't think I'll ever go back to it.

OP maybe you should invest in an electric shaver/trimmer? They don't seem to irritate your skin like razors do. Just trim the whole thing and then shave it into a nice shape :wink:
Original post by un-jardin-sur-le-nil
waxing is way better than shaving if you want to go down the hair removal route

Is waxing not reeeally painful there? :O
Original post by Anonymous
Okay.

I shave my legs and armpits, but not 'there'.
I tried once, and it was really horrible, but I don't think I did it properly.
Now it's annoying me, so I want to try again.

Is there any way that works best for most people?

I personally hate hate having hair on me. Leg hair has to go, down there hair has to go.
Waxing it a lot easier, although it does hurt, but not that much :')
Original post by PsychadelicScarf

It is fudging painful at first (for me) but once I kept doing it regularly, you get used to the pain, it's like getting your eyebrows threaded :lol:
Reply 12
We should be Neanderthal hairy.

But seriously I shave everywhere that has hair.
Wax/thread eyebrows once every 2-3 months to get a shape, and then I pluck. I go back when I 'lose control'.

I shave under arms and legs regularly. I wouldn't wax there, too much money and it's fine shaving it.

As for 'down there', I shave with a a bikini trimmer to a landing strip. And I also trim it. I also shave all the way in the bum as well. Sometimes I shave in the shower using a ridiculous amount of shaving gel, but I don't like doing that. Sometimes I 'treat' myself to a wax, and then I can forget about it for a month. Yeah, it was painful the first time, but absolutely fine now.

No, for me it was much less painful than I had expected/heard about. Three little gasps and it was all gone.
Original post by Amanbabbar./
It is fudging painful at first (for me) but once I kept doing it regularly, you get used to the pain, it's like getting your eyebrows threaded :lol:

I've never had my eyebrows threaded, they're not that bad, so I just pluck them every now then.
I've never had my eyebrows threaded, they're not that bad, so I just pluck them every now then.

Neither were mine, but I still got them done :')
Reply 17

Her body is ready.
Original post by R4INBOW

Her body is ready.

Daymn girl.
Reply 19
i hate hairy girls.. they should be properly wax...

Quick Reply

Latest