The Student Room Group

Villa is a bigger club than Spurs

These are reasons why:

- Spurs has no European Cup
- Both clubs' average attendances are similar
- Villa has won more trophies overall
- Villa is the biggest club by far in its region. Spurs cannot say that, since their enemy has won more trophies than them and has a larger global brand/name and Chelsea even has more trophies then they do (plus a global brand/name and a Champions League)

I contend Arsenal maybe a larger club than Villa and probably the next biggest club after United and Liverpool, but surely Villa is bigger than Spurs.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by wortandbeer
These are reasons why:

- Spurs has no European Cup
- Both clubs' average attendances are similar
- Villa has won more trophies overall
- Villa is the biggest club by far in its region. Spurs cannot say that, since their enemy has won more trophies than them and has a larger global brand/name and Chelsea even has more trophies then they do (plus a global brand/name and a Champions League)

I contend Arsenal maybe a larger club than Villa and probably the next biggest club after United and Liverpool, but surely Villa is bigger than Spurs.

Don't think I've ever heard anyone say Spurs are a bigger club than Villa.
Reply 2
lol.. most Spurs fans believe themselves to be.
Historically yes, presently, no. But I can see Spurs dropping down a bit if they don't get CL this year and Bale leaves. People don't remember that going only a few years back Spurs were nothing special and a upper mid-table team just like Villa. Good management both at the top of the club and of the team have been the key to Spurs currently being better, combined with the London location. Whilst the opposite has been key to Villa getting worse.

Screen shot 2013-05-14 at 18.59.46.png

Screen shot 2013-05-14 at 19.00.02.png
Reply 4
Agree. Historically they're the 4th/5th biggest club in the country, just not been as good in recent years and unlike Liverpool/Everton don't look like they'll get back up there again, more like a Nottingham Forest in terms of not as good.

But they're Villa! Soft spot for them really. Good club.
Original post by wortandbeer
lol.. most Spurs fans believe themselves to be.

:congrats:

Armchair Arsenal fan like 90% of the fans on here?
Historically over the whole history of the game there are only three clubs that are undisputedly big clubs. Manchester United, Liverpool and Arsenal in that order. Villa are the biggest club in the midlands, Leeds in Yorkshire and Sunderland in the North East etc, but they're regionally big. Nationally they're respectable size but a level below the largest clubs.

In the Premier League, Spurs are one of the biggest clubs and Aston Villa are not. The top 5 teams in the league currently are the "big" teams now, although out of the emerging ones Spurs are certainly a more respectable and credible club than Chelsea and Manchester City. I don't mind Spurs, they're a proper football club surrounded by proper football people unlike the ****ing circus going on at some of the other Premier League clubs.
Reply 7
This statement is incorrect.
Reply 8
Not sure why teams need to be classified as 'bigger' than any other. And this coming from a Villa fan!
Reply 9
Villa might be a bigger club historically but at this moment in time, it's not hard to see that Spurs are doing better.
Oh, it's this argument again.

Does it really matter? Spurs are the bigger club right now and Villa are, objectively speaking, the more successful club historically. That's it. Arguing over which club is bigger is one of the lamest things in football and often makes the fans of either side look insecure (saying this as a fan of a team who has loads of fans that love to bring up this argument).
Reply 11
Disagree.

Villa are the more successful club (more trophies)

Spurs are the bigger club (more fans)
Why do people get so wound up about which club is biggest? Who cares?

Whenever this kind of argument comes up people bark on about the past. Once again, who cares? I only care about one thing; this season.
Reply 13
Original post by IanDangerously
Historically over the whole history of the game there are only three clubs that are undisputedly big clubs. Manchester United, Liverpool and Arsenal in that order. Villa are the biggest club in the midlands, Leeds in Yorkshire and Sunderland in the North East etc, but they're regionally big. Nationally they're respectable size but a level below the largest clubs.

In the Premier League, Spurs are one of the biggest clubs and Aston Villa are not. The top 5 teams in the league currently are the "big" teams now, although out of the emerging ones Spurs are certainly a more respectable and credible club than Chelsea and Manchester City. I don't mind Spurs, they're a proper football club surrounded by proper football people unlike the ****ing circus going on at some of the other Premier League clubs.

What about Newcastle, finished 5th last season but were at risk of relegation this year, they still a 'bigger' club than Liverpool, Everton, Aston Villa and all the clubs they finished higher than? No - according to your own reasoning.
Reply 14
In terms of history then i would have to agree with you. But in terms of current league positions, wage budgets, transfer budgets, level of players and coaching staff I would say spurs are bigger.

LLoris > Guzan
Walker > Lowton
Vertronghan (aplologies about spelling) > Vlaar
Dawson > Bennett
Assou Ekkoto > Westwood
Sandro > Delph
Parker > N Zogbia
Bale > Aghbonlahor
Lennon > Weimann
Adebayor (or Defoe) < Benteke

It really shows that the modern day spurs team is "bigger" than Aston Villa.
Original post by Jim-Jam
What about Newcastle, finished 5th last season but were at risk of relegation this year, they still a 'bigger' club than Liverpool, Everton, Aston Villa and all the clubs they finished higher than? No - according to your own reasoning.

It's not solely based on league position. By your reasoning Wigan, Stoke and Fulham are bigger clubs than Leeds, Forest and Sheffield Wednesday. In terms of their current squad yes but fanbase, infastructure, history? Not a chance.

He's right, Manchester United, Liverpool and Arsenal are the biggest clubs in the country by some distance.
Reply 16
Original post by sr90
It's not solely based on league position. By your reasoning Wigan, Stoke and Fulham are bigger clubs than Leeds, Forest and Sheffield Wednesday. In terms of their current squad yes but fanbase, infastructure, history? Not a chance.

He's right, Manchester United, Liverpool and Arsenal are the biggest clubs in the country by some distance.

It's because he stated the top 5 clubs at the moment are the 5 biggest. Which for the reasons you also said, that's not true.
Not much in it tbh. Hard for Spurs to really make inroads as their fan base is limited by the fact Arsenal are down the road. Grew up in North London and literally about 10% of kids around here support Tottenham. My brother reckons the average age of WHL punters is at least 5 years above Arsenal's and that their attendance will go off a cliff once these guys stop going. Not sure about that but there is something in it I think.

Villa are a sleeping giant though and they have a huge amount of potential, more so than the likes of Everton/Tottenham because they are the biggest club in a huge city like Birmingham. In my lifetime theyve often spent huge amounts of money trying to break into the top tier but always wasted it on dross. Spurs are much better run.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by Kutta
In terms of history then i would have to agree with you. But in terms of current league positions, wage budgets, transfer budgets, level of players and coaching staff I would say spurs are bigger.

LLoris > Guzan
Walker > Lowton
Vertronghan (aplologies about spelling) > Vlaar
Dawson > Bennett
Assou Ekkoto > Westwood
Sandro > Delph
Parker > N Zogbia
Bale > Aghbonlahor
Lennon > Weimann
Adebayor (or Defoe) < Benteke

It really shows that the modern day spurs team is "bigger" than Aston Villa.

You are confusing 'bigger' with 'better'.

Wigan Athletic are better than Leeds United.

But they are not bigger.
Reply 19
Spurs>Villa

And yh there is a lot of ambiguity on here biut if we relate to recent contemporaries. It's quite clear who has done better and performed on bigger stages in bigger matches with bigger records.