The Student Room Group

Mr M's OCR (not OCR MEI) Core 1 Answers May 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zakee
For the first question I wrote down all those values, but after each value I said something like this:

I.e, for part 1i) I had the answer 125 12\sqrt{5} but after that I put, therefore a=12 a = 12 as I was mentioning what
the value of a is in each part. Would I lose any marks as the examiner may mistake that to be my answer even though I did write down the answers such as 125 12\sqrt{5} and 45 4\sqrt{5} ? Thank you.

That's fine.
Reply 341
can someone show the stages to get to the answer of q8 ty
Reply 342
Original post by Mr M
That's fine.

Thank you, and thank you for diligence on producing mark schemes. It's exceptionally altruistic of you.
Original post by Zakee
Thank you, and thank you for diligence on producing mark schemes. It's exceptionally altruistic of you.

Thank you. You should see a doctor regarding the dictionary you swallowed.

:wink:
Anyone got/already posted the question paper?

EDIT: Found them

c1.jpgc1-2.jpg
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 345
Hi Mr M,
I already asked this but didn't get a reply so i will ask again:
1. For 5.ii i think i said y=2/(x^2+5) How many marks do you think i woul lose?
2. What was the working for 10.iii so i can see if i got at least 1 method mark?
3. Would 64/72 be enough for the A?
If you could help that would be amazing
Reply 346
Hello Mr M, have you got the questions as well ( specifically Q2,Q6,Q7,Q8,Q10) :smile: Many Thanks
Mr M,

I was just wondering if you could tell me how many marks I would lose for the following?

For question 9 (ii) I stupidly put that x was between -3/2 and 1/4 (i.e. -3/2 < x < 1/4. Would I gain any marks at all for this?

For question 10 (iii) I set dy/dx equal to 0 but I factorised the remaining quadratic wrong. I got 3x(x-2) instead of 3x(x+2). I then went on to get x=2 and got the wrong co-ordinate (2,9). I chose (2,9) at the end though. How many marks would I lose in this particular case?

Thanks very much
Original post by DutchyBoy
Hi Mr M,
I already asked this but didn't get a reply so i will ask again:
1. For 5.ii i think i said y=2/(x^2+5) How many marks do you think i woul lose?
2. What was the working for 10.iii so i can see if i got at least 1 method mark?
3. Would 64/72 be enough for the A?
If you could help that would be amazing

5ii no marks - sorry

10iii you can work out the answer yourself as someone has posted the paper above

I don't guess grade boundaries
Original post by tommyhulk
Hello Mr M, have you got the questions as well ( specifically Q2,Q6,Q7,Q8,Q10) :smile: Many Thanks

See two posts up from your post.
Original post by AlmightyPhil
Mr M,

I was just wondering if you could tell me how many marks I would lose for the following?

For question 9 (ii) I stupidly put that x was between -3/2 and 1/4 (i.e. -3/2 < x < 1/4. Would I gain any marks at all for this?

For question 10 (iii) I set dy/dx equal to 0 but I factorised the remaining quadratic wrong. I got 3x(x-2) instead of 3x(x+2). I then went on to get x=2 and got the wrong co-ordinate (2,9). I chose (2,9) at the end though. How many marks would I lose in this particular case?

Thanks very much

I'm sure I have already answered this.

9ii) get 1 mark

10iii) get 3 marks probably
Reply 351
For question 5 (iii) I wrote compressed to the scale factor 2 on the y axis. Do you think I'll get any marks? :/
Original post by akleema
For question 5 (iii) I wrote compressed to the scale factor 2 on the y axis. Do you think I'll get any marks? :/

No sorry.
Reply 353
Hi Mr M
Just a few questions.
For 5(iii) I described the transformation of y = 1/x^2 to y = 2/x^2 not the other way around like the question asked. Would I lose 1 or 2 marks? I did put stretched parallel to the y-axis.
And for question 8 I left the line equation in y = mx + c form as opposed to ax + by + c = 0. How many marks would I lose for that?
Original post by Hiryu
Hi Mr M
Just a few questions.
For 5(iii) I described the transformation of y = 1/x^2 to y = 2/x^2 not the other way around like the question asked. Would I lose 1 or 2 marks? I did put stretched parallel to the y-axis.
And for question 8 I left the line equation in y = mx + c form as opposed to ax + by + c = 0. How many marks would I lose for that?

5(iii) get 1 mark

8 drop 1 mark
Reply 355
Original post by Mr M
5(iii) get 1 mark

8 drop 1 mark

Thanks for clarifying that. I can relax now knowing I have more than likely only lost 2 marks on that paper.
Reply 356
Mr M,
For question 9iii the one where you had to find the distance between the points, I stupidly forgot to put the quadratic formula over 2a, and instead put it over 2. Apart from that my method is completely correct. Could you please tell me how many marks I would have lost for that.
Your help would be appreciated.
Thanks
think i got about 50%

Anyone know what grade this will be?
Reply 358
Looks like a dropped a mark! How did this paper compare difficulty wise with others?
Reply 359
Original post by Mr M
Mr M's OCR (not OCR MEI) Core 1 Answers May 2013

6. (i) Centre (0,4)(0, -4) and radius 2102 \sqrt{10} (3 marks)

Thanks for posting answers, thought the paper was quite nice bar a few of the last ones!

For 6i) finding the radius I put root 40 and left it as that as I considered putting into simplified sure sure form but left it as it didn't say that in the question. How many marks do you think will I lose for it? 0,1 or 2?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending