The Student Room Group

OCR - Physical Geography AS 14th May 2013

Hello :smile:

How did people find this paper?

I, along with the majority of my classmates agreed it was really tough, even our teacher said it was considerably harder than previous...

any comments?

Scroll to see replies

I had trouble with the cold environments data response question, spent like 15 mins trying to differentiate which line/bar corresponded to precipitation/temperature. Which 25 marker did you do?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 2
I thought rivers structured was hard! Cold and Arid essay was fine for me. so Overall a medium paper for me
Reply 3
I thought this paper was great! I did Rivers A Cold A and Arid for my essay. Struggled a bit on the 9 mark in cold a- exploitation of cold environments for short term gain? I wrote a bit about mining but couldnt think what else to write
Reply 4
Original post by pilotluke1
I thought rivers structured was hard! Cold and Arid essay was fine for me. so Overall a medium paper for me

The bars at the bottom were rainfall and the line was temperature- its easy to work out as they each correspond with what they should be doing at the time of year- higher in summer must be temp and lower in summer rainfall
Reply 5
Original post by SaphC
The bars at the bottom were rainfall and the line was temperature- its easy to work out as they each correspond with what they should be doing at the time of year- higher in summer must be temp and lower in summer rainfall

Yeah I did that?
Reply 6
What were the social imppacts of flooding?
i personally think that the coasts questions where very difficult, we only learn coast, arid and cold at my collage to save time and it was so difficult. The cold essay was worded horribly and i didn't know weather to talk about human activity that was affecting eco-systems or just individual groups of people, + there are limited case studies for human activity in cold Zermatt, Antarctica and Alaska is are the only ones fully relevant that i've studied so made it so hard to apply the knowledge and link it. arid questions where Ok compared to the rest of the exam but i definitely agree that it was one of the hardest exams in the last few years. hopefully it will have low grade boundaries.
I also fogot to mention one of the smartest people in my year ( straight A pupils) breaking down after the exam, felt like there is no hope
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8
I also thought the arid essay was really nice!
Original post by pilotluke1
I also thought the arid essay was really nice!

they where still challenging but i could handle them compared to coasts :frown: hopefully the human is worded better for the essays
Reply 10
The rivers section was HARD. The question about something to do with the economics of rivers being protected flew me off and I completely made up the social 9 marker. The only thing was that the coast essay was really nice compared to the January one. But the thing is they haven't dropped the grade boundaries for a while now.
Reply 11
It was horrible!!! The short answers i had to guess, it actually wanted to cry after it. I did the River and Arid short and then the coast for the 25, i think the essay question was Ok.. but the rest was bad, i sure did badly. :frown:
Reply 12
Original post by spookz
The rivers section was HARD. The question about something to do with the economics of rivers being protected flew me off and I completely made up the social 9 marker. The only thing was that the coast essay was really nice compared to the January one. But the thing is they haven't dropped the grade boundaries for a while now.
yeah I agree rivers was hard! part A I just said about the beaches on the inside of the meanders+ the Oxbow lake. The economic question what did you write? because I really didn't know?
did anyone do the coasts questions they where so hard? and what did you put?
Reply 14
I don't understand why most of the theme of the short answered questions was to do with socio+economics
Reply 15
Original post by dominiccrsoby96
did anyone do the coasts questions they where so hard? and what did you put?
I did the coastal essay. What were the short questions might be able to help? I did see one about managed retreat and Barton-on-sea is an example of coastline that uses that technique.
I did the rivers essay which I thought was manageable, the cold section was okay, just the 6 marker after the graph threw me abit when it was along why is the climate like it is, I just rambled about it being 1400m above sea level and snowmelt :P but I found the coasts questions hard!
Overall, found it very general! I'd spent ages knowing all the details and it was so open!

Posted from TSR Mobile
9 mark- was something like how management of economic development can link to managed retreat or something about both of them linking i didnt understand it. Cold essay did anyone use Zermatt, Alaska oil exploitation or Antarctica?
Original post by dominiccrsoby96
9 mark- was something like how management of economic development can link to managed retreat or something about both of them linking i didnt understand it. Cold essay did anyone use Zermatt, Alaska oil exploitation or Antarctica?

The question about managed retreat was saying how it protects coastlines - felt with this you couldn't really add figures and facts because there aren't any!
I used Alaska for oil and tourism in the alps for the cold 9 marker

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
I did the coasts long answer 25 marker however after I finished, I realised I didn't fully address the question. I mostly focused on how an issue can be addressed by coastal management which a few brief mentions of how management may cause issues. How many marks do you think I'd lose for not fully answering the questions? :/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending