The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jina
Yeah. I'm failing it so bad! You know how random questions just come up in the exam... :frown: I hate hate Rag Desh and all of its versions and I hate Bernstien. How are you revising for theory? :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry for quoting the same post twice but I just remembered something I posted in the Music GCSE thread :tongue: funny you should mention Rag Desh, here's what I wrote for someone :biggrin:

Go through each set work and make sure you get at least 3 points on the following features:
-Rhythm/Metre/Tempo
-Tonality
-Harmony
-Melody
-Structure
-Instrumentation
-Technology (where applicable)
-Timbre
-Texture
-Dynamics

In the essay question that's worth 12 marks, you'll be asked two 1 mark questions about general background knowledge of the piece, composer, etc and then 10 marks based on 5 of those musical elements above and how they are used in the piece. 2 marks for 2 points for each element. I recommend learning 3 points for each just in case though :smile:
So if you know your stuff for the elements, you should be halfway prepared for the listening section. Just listen over and over, to the pieces! Like seriously, put them onto your iPod- it'll actually help :biggrin: go over practice/past papers, grab any textbooks/revision books you can lay your hand on. Erm, just learn the basic facts for each set work. Like, Peripetie- learn the German word definitions. Rag Desh- learn the tals and the instruments used and their roles in the piece. Handel- learn which part of the choir comes in first for each motif. Stuff like that, just learn! Make flash cards and quiz yourself or something, it'll be fine :tongue:

PS. I've decided to write out the stuff for Rag Desh to save you some time :biggrin: good revision for me too :tongue:

Anoushka Shankar
Instruments- Tabla & Sitar
Structure -Alap, Gat, Jhalla
Tals -Jhaptal- 10 beat (2+3+2+3), Tintal- 16 beat (4+4+4+4)

Tanwar
Instruments -Sarod, Sarangi, Tabla, Pakhawaj & small cymbals
Structure -Alap, Bandish
Tals -Keherwa tal- 8 beat (2+2+2+2)

Steve Gorn & Benjy Wertheimer
Instruments- Bansuri, Tabla, Esraj, Shruti box, Swarmandel
Structure -Alap, Gat 1, Gat 2
Tals- Rupak tal 7 beat (3+2+2) & Ektal 12 beat (2+2+2+2+2+2)

That's by memory however, some things might be wrong so i suggest you go and check it :biggrin:
Reply 1321
Original post by Andyroo17
Im just doing the headings they ask in the b section (tonality, structure, melody) etc and writing about 5-6 points for each so I can gain a good idea of the pieces. Then, just listen, listen, listen!:wink: I haven't really done much yet though:/ what did you get in your coureswork?

Yeaah... Same here. But sometimes questions are specific to extract and so i'm like... Damn. Also our teacher is making is memorise set studies 1 and 2 model answers because section B question 9 is always on set studies 1&2. :/
I'm using the listening and appraising sheets but am yet to make notes and memorise... So hectic! What resources are you using? :smile: I hate listening, its because of music gcse i dont listen to music anymore.
Well for my first performance and Blues composition I got A* for both but the 2nd performance was reaaaally bad due to time constraints and **** teacher and also second composition on minimalism was blah. Hahaha so overall B maybe?
So scared about theory though!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ugh i am having a bad day
Reply 1323
Original post by Meliss
Sorry for quoting the same post twice but I just remembered something I posted in the Music GCSE thread :tongue: funny you should mention Rag Desh, here's what I wrote for someone :biggrin:

Hahaha I hate Anoushka sooo much! :/ thanks though... You need to be blessed for that! <3

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bluffroom

:console: what's up?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1325

What's wrong?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1326
Original post by Elm Tree
Jina! I wasn't making fun of you.. I honestly had no idea about you moving to England. I just want you to know that :smile:

I thought you were joking, so I made a joke in response :wink:

It was intended as a joke. Shame on you for laughing!! :unimpressed:

Spoiler

See I thought you were sincere until I saw the spoiler.
Don't say things you don't mean.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Jina
Hahaha I hate Anoushka sooo much! :/ thanks though... You need to be blessed for that! <3

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ngl, but the rag deshes are growing on me :tongue:
and oh, man, Yiri! :biggrin:
i love the cowbell right at the end. i can get it right on time every single time :colondollar:
So your teacher's making you learn essay questions for AoS 1&2? i think it'd be wiser just to learn the list of elements for each set work so you can pick between the two essays in the exam :smile: my teacher once said to me that in the exam, i shouldn't pick the question based on the essay, but i should pick the question based on the mini questions at the top because by then, i should know everything there is to know! :rolleyes:
Anyways, do you want anymore help with the theory stuff?
I'm using a cgp revision guide, and resources from getrevising.co.uk:smile: interesting about section b; are you sure only set studies 1 and 2 come up? i was led to believe it could be any of them?

One essay question will be from either AoS1 or 2, and the other one will be from AoS3 or 4.
Reply 1330
I'm using a cgp revision guide, and resources from getrevising.co.uk:smile: interesting about section b; are you sure only set studies 1 and 2 come up? i was led to believe it could be any of them?

Ahhh... The listening and appraising sheets are amazing and life savers.
Haha i'm sure my teacher went to a course and the chief examiner said

Q9 - is on set studies 1&2
Q10 - on set studies 3&4

So you can revise 6 instead of 12 somehow. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1331
Original post by Meliss
Ngl, but the rag deshes are growing on me :tongue:
and oh, man, Yiri! :biggrin:
i love the cowbell right at the end. i can get it right on time every single time :colondollar:
So your teacher's making you learn essay questions for AoS 1&2? i think it'd be wiser just to learn the list of elements for each set work so you can pick between the two essays in the exam :smile: my teacher once said to me that in the exam, i shouldn't pick the question based on the essay, but i should pick the question based on the mini questions at the top because by then, i should know everything there is to know! :rolleyes:
Anyways, do you want anymore help with the theory stuff?

Omg! Yiri is my favourite too! :smile: lurvvv it!
Yyeaah im learning the key elements for it. :smile: the essays are to help with that. :smile:
Hahaha your teacher is very clever and confident... Mine is panicking like hell.
Ahhh... I'm yet to start memorising the stuff but thanks for the offer! I may message you if im particularly stuck :smile: how do you deal with musical notation questions?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1332
Original post by Vionar
It's not creepy! I love eyes! They're so cool! But so scary! And everything else!

We're chatty! :biggrin:
Change the pic first time i saw you i thought you were a girl and i sometimes think you are with that green eye.

Original post by MattFletcher
ah interesting suggestion! :smile:

i know....i know :tongue:
it just came to me
Reply 1333
Original post by Jina
What's hard to believe? -_- you laughed didn't you... What's to stop anyone else?
Plus if you heard my accent...

Posted from TSR Mobile

thats because i didn't know this before when we were talking.... you sound and are intelligent so i didn't know i thought you were joking+ it can't be worse than mine
Reply 1334
Original post by Elm Tree
Jina! I wasn't making fun of you.. I honestly had no idea about you moving to England. I just want you to know that :smile:

I thought you were joking, so I made a joke in response :wink:

It was intended as a joke. Shame on you for laughing!! :unimpressed:

Spoiler

i laughed because i thought it was a joke... i didn't or wasn't making fun of jina......Spoiler?????:unimpressed::unimpressed:
Original post by MattFletcher

Too much is going wrong atm :cry2:

Want to talk about it? PM?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1337
Original post by EduWiz
Change the pic first time i saw you i thought you were a girl and i sometimes think you are with that green eye.

i know....i know :tongue:
it just came to me

No! If anything, I'd change it to a different eye! I want to keep my eye!
Reply 1338

Talk to me or anyone you want.... We're here. :smile: PM's are open :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jina
See I thought you were sincere until I saw the spoiler.
Don't say things you don't mean.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by EduWiz
i laughed because i thought it was a joke... i didn't or wasn't making fun of jina......Spoiler?????:unimpressed::unimpressed:

Spoiler was to show that I wasn't really angry at Eduwiz. But I am being sincere Jina!

Latest