The Student Room Group

Level 3 award in Algebra (Edexcel)

Does anyone know approximately how many marks for a pass in a Level 3 award in Algebra? (Edexcel)

Thanks. :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Nocoolnamesleft
Does anyone know approximately how many marks for a pass in a Level 3 award in Algebra? (Edexcel)

Don't know about the algebra awards but for Number/Measure it's been approx 50/80 (60.5 %)
Reply 2
The workbook doesn't come out until late April and the exam is on the 13th of May... tad too close if you ask me. Know any good revision sites or anything?
Original post by katiemcswiney
The workbook doesn't come out until late April and the exam is on the 13th of May... tad too close if you ask me. Know any good revision sites or anything?

I know, WAY to close.

I have nothing to revise from this Easter apart from the sample material paper. :/
Reply 4
A lot of the topics are the same as Edexcel C1 so some of the revision videos here may help
http://www.examsolutions.net/
If you have access to mymaths, have a look at the C1 section - algebra, coordinate geometry, complete the square, discriminant, arithmetic series and C2 for trapezium rule and circle equations etc

Edexcel have produced a practice paper in addition to the sample assessment - ask your teacher for it after the holidays.

If you are really stuck for something to do there's a some overlap with the algebra in the OCR Additional Maths specification so you could get some mileage from looking at some of the questions in past papers for that specification (ignore the probability stuff). You could also look at Edexcel Specification A IGCSE past papers that also have questions that are above the standard of regular GCSE. Use the specification to make sure you don't waste time on topics that are not included.
Could I have some help please.

I only found I was doing this exam today, and will be the only one in my school doing so. I have, at a very slow pace been working my way through the Edexcel C1 book in my maths lessons whilst everyone else is still on GCSE, so I really haven't had much help. I presumed it would only just touch on elements on C1, never mind C2!!!

So does anyone have any advice on how I could get a good grade in this exam after starting at this late date. I also have French and RS exams on that date, so it will be a tight squeeze with timing.
Reply 6
Original post by dandaman7771
Could I have some help please.

I only found I was doing this exam today, and will be the only one in my school doing so. I have, at a very slow pace been working my way through the Edexcel C1 book in my maths lessons whilst everyone else is still on GCSE, so I really haven't had much help. I presumed it would only just touch on elements on C1, never mind C2!!!

So does anyone have any advice on how I could get a good grade in this exam after starting at this late date. I also have French and RS exams on that date, so it will be a tight squeeze with timing.

Use the attached checklist to assess whether you have covered all the topics

L3_award_algebra_checklist.pdf

Do the sample assessment and the practice assessment as exam prep

Get the workbook (or ask your school to buy one). There are loads of exam style questions in it as well as another practice paper.
http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/Edexcel-Award-Algebra-Level-3-Workbook/9781446903230
Would someone be able to tell me whether you need to know differentiation or integration for this paper, because I know it doesn't specifically say on the list, but it does say 'The Trapezium Rule' and in my AS book that talks about integration.

Thanks
Reply 8
Would someone be able to tell me whether you need to know differentiation or integration for this paper, because I know it doesn't specifically say on the list, but it does say 'The Trapezium Rule' and in my AS book that talks about integration.

Thanks

for C1 you need to know how to differentiate and integrate, 'the trapezium rule' is for C2
Reply 9

Thanks

You need to be able to use the trapezium rule to estimate the area under a curve, you don't need to be able to differentiate or integrate a function.
Monday's getting close now. I have 45 minutes break all day between 7:45 and 2:45, I'm going to melt!!!

Just one last question, is it just Pass or Fail, or are there Merits, Distinctions etc.

Thanks and good luck.
How'd everyone find it?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 12
How'd everyone find it?

i thought it was quite difficult, some parts were very easy but others, i had no clue! how did you find it?
Original post by iqranoor
i thought it was quite difficult, some parts were very easy but others, i had no clue! how did you find it?

When I went through the questions for the first time, I missed some simple concepts, most of which I realised the second time. For example, the x2 + 18x= (x+p)2 + q, I didn't get that it was completing the square!!!

Overall, I thought it was OK and would have took that difficulty of test beforehand. As I asked before, is it just pass or fail, or are there, for example distinctions?

Thanks
When I went through the questions for the first time, I missed some simple concepts, most of which I realised the second time. For example, the x2 + 18x= (x+p)2 + q, I didn't get that it was completing the square!!!

Overall, I thought it was OK and would have took that difficulty of test beforehand. As I asked before, is it just pass or fail, or are there, for example distinctions?

Thanks

Just pass or fail.
Reply 15
Original post by Nocoolnamesleft

My teacher said you need approximately 80% and as the total marks was 90? You need to 72 marks to pass!
Nervous already!
:s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Passed!!! So happy, especially as I self taught and didn't have the specific materials.:smile:
Hi, I might do it this year, how many marks was it for a pass??
Reply 18
(edited 10 years ago)
Do you know when the results for the Jan 9th 2014 exam are??

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending