The Student Room Group

FRENCH LISTENING 2013 ccea

I found it quite difficult especially the last page. I hardly slept the night before and think I've made many silly mistakes on the paper. Usually I find the listening ok and normally get A* - A in my practice papers ! Now I'm worried I'll do terrible and I really want to do medicine . The paper I did was worth 20%. Are you allowed to repeat this paper next year without having to repeat the 60% coursework?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
The last page is supposed to be hard. If you have done well in your coursework then you shouldn't have to worry about your listening paper. As you said, the grade is more weighted in your coursework so if you did well you can afford to drop a few marks here or there in the listening.

From the sounds of things it sounds like you have done well and have nothing to worry about! Most A/A* students get worried like this which suggests to me you haven't done nearly as bad as you are making out!
Reply 2
Original post by tomj45
The last page is supposed to be hard. If you have done well in your coursework then you shouldn't have to worry about your listening paper. As you said, the grade is more weighted in your coursework so if you did well you can afford to drop a few marks here or there in the listening.

From the sounds of things it sounds like you have done well and have nothing to worry about! Most A/A* students get worried like this which suggests to me you haven't done nearly as bad as you are making out!

Thanks
Reply 3
Original post by emmalav
I found it quite difficult especially the last page. I hardly slept the night before and think I've made many silly mistakes on the paper. Usually I find the listening ok and normally get A* - A in my practice papers ! Now I'm worried I'll do terrible and I really want to do medicine . The paper I did was worth 20%. Are you allowed to repeat this paper next year without having to repeat the 60% coursework?

Don't count me as experienced in this area - I am in the same position as you (finished coursework, about to complete Reading).

I did the GCSE in one year during Northern Ireland's Year 11 (Y10 in England). I had originally planned to do it over two, but my teacher told me that if I wanted to take the Listening and Reading components next year (i.e. Year 12), I'd have to repeat all of my coursework. Having said that, I am not familiar with the protocol surrounding resits, and I don't know if the same rules apply.

This is all notwithstanding the fact that you're probably overreacting anyway! Most of the people I knew that took the test found it difficult, therefore the grade boundaries will probably be low if this was the case across NI. I'm sure you did well, and more importantly I don't see how French relevant to Medicine and is unlikely to have any bearing on whether you'll be accepted onto this course at any university.

Relax, breathe and focus on the Reading (06/13) which, for most, is a lot easier anyway.

-Deux
I checked my answers after the exam with those of my teacher so I'm a lot more relaxed now!

Seriously though... who does crosswords at a music concert?!
Reply 5
Some of the stuff they make up for those exams is complete bullsh*t!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by aasvogel
I checked my answers after the exam with those of my teacher so I'm a lot more relaxed now!

Agreed! And how does a person swim better by swimming less? :confused:

An Dún Abú, BTW. :wink:

-Deux
Original post by Deux
Agreed! And how does a person swim better by swimming less? :confused:

An Dún Abú, BTW. :wink:

-Deux

I was so confused by that! I was adamant I heard 'nagant moins' so I stuck down 'She swims better when she swims less in training'.

Yay! Are you from there yourself?
Hi :smile:
i was so confused by that 'nagant moins' but i wrote she swims better by swimming less too, but that doesnt make any sense to me at all! and what about the question about the concert? I couldn't work out what the women do (heard it was doing crosswords! where do they come up with this?) and the question about why people love the concert? apart from that, the paper was ok, but generally everyone said they found it really hard!
Reply 9
If you're an A/A* student and you found it difficult the grade boundaries are likely to be lower. :smile: Also if you did the same
paper as my friends yesterday, they all found it difficult too. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10

Yes I checked some of the answers with my friends, I feel a bit more relaxed as well ! Yes the crosswords one was strange! I even knew the word for crossword! Such a coincidence i see you go to the Abbey I go to Sacred Heart !
Reply 11
Original post by taylorscript13
Hi :smile:
i was so confused by that 'nagant moins' but i wrote she swims better by swimming less too, but that doesnt make any sense to me at all! and what about the question about the concert? I couldn't work out what the women do (heard it was doing crosswords! where do they come up with this?) and the question about why people love the concert? apart from that, the paper was ok, but generally everyone said they found it really hard!

I thought it said that aswell but then I sorta thought that it might have just been pronounced strangely as to eat less!
Original post by emmalav
I thought it said that aswell but then I sorta thought that it might have just been pronounced strangely as to eat less!

I wrote to eat less as well at first cus i thought that made sense, then I changed it to swim less. such weird questions this year!
Reply 13
I was so confused by that! I was adamant I heard 'nagant moins' so I stuck down 'She swims better when she swims less in training'.

Yay! Are you from there yourself?

I am indeed. :biggrin: But yeah, I think that's right and I'm guessing you'll get the marks.

DEFINITELY odd questions this year. Unlike any other CCEA French paper I've ever done.
Original post by Deux
I am indeed. :biggrin: But yeah, I think that's right and I'm guessing you'll get the marks.

DEFINITELY odd questions this year. Unlike any other CCEA French paper I've ever done.

Where abouts? :redface: I go to school in Newry!

I took my time for that one and then was panicking I'd forget what was said! I knew I'd regret not writing it down anyway.
Original post by emmalav
Yes I checked some of the answers with my friends, I feel a bit more relaxed as well ! Yes the crosswords one was strange! I even knew the word for crossword! Such a coincidence i see you go to the Abbey I go to Sacred Heart !

Wow that is odd! I know a few people in your year then haha.
Reply 16
Wow that is odd! I know a few people in your year then haha.

Oh really! Who all do you know ? :smile:
Reply 17
Original post by emmalav

I do aqa French but found it so hard, and I want to do medicine as well!! oh well, we'll just have to wait till August to find out what we get...if only medicine accepted B's
Reply 18
How did people find the reading today?
Original post by mollyh77
How did people find the reading today?

Didnt think it was too bad, last 2 pages were a bit tricky

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending