The Student Room Group

Arsey's Edexcel M1 Summer 2013 Model Solutions BOTH PAPERS

Scroll to see replies

Reply 280
Bloody hell, I've messed up so bad...
Original post by CA$H KRAZE
I go to an average school, and the vast majority of people found this paper difficult as the questions were very different from past paper questions. For example the vector question. Additionally, bear in mind that some people had a C1 exam just before/after this exam. I am predict the grade boundaries to be low. A-56 B-48 C-41 D-35 E-28

Thats what my friends are saying but I doubt its going to be as low as that. It was 64 in january, I think it'll be 62/63 for an A. But hey, who knows, it could be 50, depending how people did. Its not about how difficult the paper was, but how candidates performed on the day.
Reply 282
I go to an average school, and the vast majority of people found this paper difficult as the questions were very different from past paper questions. For example the vector question. Additionally, bear in mind that some people had a C1 exam just before/after this exam. I am predict the grade boundaries to be low. A-56 B-48 C-41 D-35 E-28

I thought the vector question was standard, moments however and suvat were not. Pretty much everyone apart from me and 1 person did extremely badly in the exam
Reply 283
I hated the moments question, usually something I'm really good at. The suvat one got me. Meh, not a good grade at all.
Original post by Robbie242
I thought the vector question was standard, moments however and suvat were not. Pretty much everyone apart from me and 1 person did extremely badly in the exam

Yep, the vectors Q was standard imo. Although I can't recall any previous examples Qs in M1 about it being parallel to anything besides i and j so that was surprising.
Reply 285
For Q. 8 b) I substituted the value of acceleration (for which I found to be 3/5g too) into 3mg=5ma to give m=1, so none of my answers turned out to be in terms of m. Do you think I would get any marks at all for carrying this error into parts b) and c)?
if I used a pencil to draw the graph, would it be scanned and taken into account . My teachers said no, i am so worried. Please Reply this , thanks
Reply 287
LOL I found out the degrees of the bearing, and instead of subtracting it from 360, I added it on and got 405º .... *facepalm*
Reply 288
what is the grade boundary for this paper?
Original post by frogs r everywhere
Thats what my friends are saying but I doubt its going to be as low as that. It was 64 in january, I think it'll be 62/63 for an A. But hey, who knows, it could be 50, depending how people did. Its not about how difficult the paper was, but how candidates performed on the day.

The exam wasn't that hard to be honest ( I also messed up very bad ), but if it was a normal mock exam I would have got 95+ and everyone here in TSR would have too. It was just because of the exam tension.

Most people including me had C1 just before, not even a minute break between them.

I didn't meet anyone who got 75/75 the highest was 70/75 they either messed up in the lift question, moments or the motorcycle one. Even some people messed up the last part of the vectors question. I've talked to more than 40 people. I lost about 7/8 raw marks if lucky.
Reply 290
Original post by MAyman12
The exam wasn't that hard to be honest ( I also messed up very bad ), but if it was a normal mock exam I would have got 95+ and everyone here in TSR would have too. It was just because of the exam tension.

Most people including me had C1 just before, not even a minute break between them.

I didn't meet anyone who got 75/75 the highest was 70/75 they either messed up in the lift question, moments or the motorcycle one. Even some people messed up the last part of the vectors question. I've talked to more than 40 people. I lost about 7/8 raw marks if lucky.

In hindsight, the only difficult questions were the motorcycle one and the simultaneous moments.
I stupidly, stupidly added up Tension to be 50g not 37.5g. on 6b. I can imagine that was the first mark out of 6. Is it possible for me to pick up any marks if my method is correct, or have I lost all 6 marks? Thank you.
Original post by NabRoh
In hindsight, the only difficult questions were the motorcycle one and the simultaneous moments.

For me it wasn't the motorcycle one, it was moments as I did the final answer wrong in part(a) but used the right methods so I will also lose some marks on part(b) and some on the lift question as I used (2ms-2).
Reply 293
Original post by MAyman12
For me it wasn't the motorcycle one, it was moments as I did the final answer wrong in part(a) but used the right methods so I will also lose some marks on part(b) and some on the lift question as I used (2ms-2).

The motorcycle one I would've put down to exam pressure but I tried it again and I'm clueless how to do it...
Reply 294
Will you also be writing model answers for C3 and C4?? :smile:
Original post by NabRoh
The motorcycle one I would've put down to exam pressure but I tried it again and I'm clueless how to do it...

I can only wish you good luck:smile:
Reply 296
Original post by Arsey
Here are my solutions to the M1 paper. Fairly easy, moments one will cause problems though.

503 error when uploading????

I have a question. On question 4A I used the formula s=vt-1/2at2, finding the acceleration, which ultimately allowed me to find U. For 4B I then found V by using V2=u2 +2as. I then put this into v=u+at to find T which I got correct.

Even though I found the right values, the method I used to yours was different...would I still get the marks?
Reply 297
From reading previous mark schemes I couldn't see anything about this, but are there any marks lost if you put the correct answer but put the wrong unit? I think i put 3.16 ms^-1 for the vectors question but now I cannot remember if it was meant to be km/h or what.
Normally there are never any marks for putting units so I really have no idea.
Reply 298
Original post by Ratto
From reading previous mark schemes I couldn't see anything about this, but are there any marks lost if you put the correct answer but put the wrong unit? I think i put 3.16 ms^-1 for the vectors question but now I cannot remember if it was meant to be km/h or what.
Normally there are never any marks for putting units so I really have no idea.

It was ms^-1 so your safe I don't think you will lose marks if u did anyway (unless it was part of the accuracy mark or if it said in terms of ms^-1 or kmh^-1
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 299

keep dreaming

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending