The Student Room Group

Can I be a doctor?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by augustbaby
So would you recommend doing Chemistry instead of which subject?

Whichever you enjoy least of Physics, Psychology or History. Once you have Biology and Chemistry, it doesn't really matter what your third subject is (unless you're applying to Cambridge) as long as it's not something like General Studies.

Original post by StephenNaulls
Regardless of this, I don't think we should detract from the fact that without Chemistry it is going to be incredibly difficult to get into medicine. The Med Schools still want medicine even though you say a lot of it doesn't relate to medicine. It is already hard enough to get an offer, why should the OP make this any harder by severely restricting where they can apply?

Elaborating upon the limited relevance of chemistry to medicine is not equivalent or related to detracting from its necessity. :tongue:
Reply 21
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
Whichever you enjoy least of Physics, Psychology or History. Once you have Biology and Chemistry, it doesn't really matter what your third subject is (unless you're applying to Cambridge) as long as it's not something like General Studies.

Elaborating upon the limited relevance of chemistry to medicine is not equivalent or related to detracting from its necessity. :tongue:

Okay, thank you so much for your help, I have a fair bit to think about.
Reply 22
Original post by Hype en Ecosse

I just wanted to make sure it was clear to the OP, that's all.
Reply 23
Original post by HCubed
I wouldn't advise doing 4 A levels - particularly if you struggle with chemistry, no point jeapardising your chemistry grade by spreading yourself too thin. No unis give extra credit for more than 3 A levels, except maybe Barts who I think decide to interview on UCAS points. So do the chemistry AS and if it goes well continue to A2 and then you will have maximised the courses you can apply to.

I looked at the entry requirements for Barts.

"All eligible applicants must have the following subjects at GCSE level, at grades AAABBB or above (in any order) to include Biology (or Human Biology), Chemistry, English Language and Mathematics (or Additional Mathematics or Statistics). The Science double award may substitute all sciences at GCSE."

Say if I had A* in maths,biology,physics and chemistry but a B in english language. Would I be at a disadvantage?
Reply 24

If you love physics, I would drop history. Your third subject should be one you enjoy and are most likely to score well in.
Original post by ergo30
I looked at the entry requirements for Barts.

"All eligible applicants must have the following subjects at GCSE level, at grades AAABBB or above (in any order) to include Biology (or Human Biology), Chemistry, English Language and Mathematics (or Additional Mathematics or Statistics). The Science double award may substitute all sciences at GCSE."

Say if I had A* in maths,biology,physics and chemistry but a B in english language. Would I be at a disadvantage?

No, you just need to meet the minimum requirement, which you do. They put emphasis on the combination of your UKCAT and your A2 predictions.
Reply 26
Original post by HCubed
If you love physics, I would drop history. Your third subject should be one you enjoy and are most likely to score well in.

At GCSE I am set to get an A* in Ancient History and an A in physics.
Reply 27
At GCSE I am set to get an A* in Ancient History and an A in physics.

That doesn't necessarily say much about how you'd do in either at AS or A-Level, unfortunately. Can you grab some revision guides from the library and see how you feel about the topics covered for each?
Reply 28
Original post by Ronove
That doesn't necessarily say much about how you'd do in either at AS or A-Level, unfortunately. Can you grab some revision guides from the library and see how you feel about the topics covered for each?

Question about A-level:

Is it like GCSE where there is not actually content but the issue is when you have to apply the knowledge learnt in exams or is it where there is a lot more content to learn and is mainly about memorizing everything? :smile:

Thanks
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 29
Original post by ergo30
Question about A-level:

Is it like GCSE where there is not actually context but the issue is when you have to apply the knowledge learnt in exams or is it where there is a lot more context to learn and is mainly about memorizing everything? :smile:

Thanks

I presume you mean content, not context. A-Level is certainly not more about rote-learning than GCSE is.
Reply 30
Original post by Ronove
I presume you mean content, not context. A-Level is certainly not more about rote-learning than GCSE is.

Yeah sure about the misuse of Context. hehe :biggrin:
I do it sometimes when I try typing in a rush and don't recheck posts.
Reply 31
This is purely my own personal view:

But I would do Chemistry (we've established it's almost a must) instead of Psychology.

I did Psychology for AS because I thought it would interest me, and I still have respect/interest for the subject in general. But at AS/A-level? It was disappointing. There was no real discussion or exploration of Psychology at all. From what I recall it was like a weird mix of a bit of statistics, a bit of making ad verbatim arguments for and against various study designs, and memorising endless key studies. It was like the study of the study of Psychology, not the subject itself. I felt it really let the subject material down. We also spent at least a few lessons doing things like making hats, colouring, watching films.. I'm not a complete square, but an entire lesson making hats?

I dropped it even though it was my best mark, I found it that uninspiring.

EDIT: I think it would be daft to go on my hearsay alone, though. You might feel very differently or the course might be different now or where you are. A lot can depend on the teacher. Why don't you start with Bio, Chem, Physics, Psych and History and decide which one to drop after a period of weeks? This can't do you any harm. You can even do 5 AS levels, it's perfectly possible - but ofc don't compromise your grades to do this if you are struggling with a key subject for medicine.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 32
Original post by Pigling
This is purely my own personal view:

But I would do Chemistry (we've established it's almost a must) instead of Psychology.

I did Psychology for AS because I thought it would interest me, and I still have respect/interest for the subject in general. But at AS/A-level? It was disappointing. There was no real discussion or exploration of Psychology at all. From what I recall it was like a weird mix of a bit of statistics, a bit of making ad verbatim arguments for and against various study designs, and memorising endless key studies. It was like the study of the study of Psychology, not the subject itself. I felt it really let the subject material down. We also spent at least a few lessons doing things like making hats, colouring, watching films.. I'm not a complete square, but an entire lesson making hats?

I dropped it even though it was my best mark, I found it that uninspiring.

EDIT: I think it would be daft to go on my hearsay alone, though. You might feel very differently or the course might be different now or where you are. A lot can depend on the teacher. Why don't you start with Bio, Chem, Physics, Psych and History and decide which one to drop after a period of weeks? This can't do you any harm. You can even do 5 AS levels, it's perfectly possible - but ofc don't compromise your grades to do this if you are struggling with a key subject for medicine.

I am going to email the head of the sixth form I am planning on going to and ask if I can do this - sounds like a really good option

A2 Physics might be marginally more useful than the other two. For example, it might make a difference at some Cambridge colleges ("Must have passes in three of Bio/Chem/Maths/Phys with at least one of these at A2") and maybe Imperial ("Chemistry and/or Biology at A or AS level (B at AS-level if one is dropped), plus one other science/maths subject"). Having said that, some other Cambridge colleges won't consider you anyway, and I may be misreading the Imperial text (it's ambiguous). TBH, you'd have to read the wiki article on 'A level requirements' very carefully before you make a decision.

Don't forget to attend to all the other things you'll need for a successful application (UKCAT, volunteering, work experience, ...)

Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending