The Student Room Group

D1 (Decision 1) 17 May 2013 Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Better
I can't even remember making that post. People give tips and help.

If it wasn't for this Forum my D1 would be looking bad, but I've been here getting tips for like 2 weeks now.

There are teachers who recommend videos to watch, and give you advice based on past students.

Exam Technique is crucial.

ohh ok, how is D1 now? I'm finding it alright, will do my first paper in an hour. I've been using this: http://www.examsolutions.net/maths-revision/syllabuses/Edexcel/period-1/D1/module.php
Original post by Westeros
My personal opinion (from easiest to hardest):
7) Matchings
1) Algorithms
3) Algorithms on Networks
2) Graphs and Networks
4) Route Inspection
5) Critical Path Analysis
6) Linear Programming

That's pretty spot on Khaleesi, personally I'd say CPA is slightly harder than Linear programming because of the stupid dummies and confusing forward/backward passes :angry:
Original post by otrivine
What I do, is that , I see which alternative path gives the lowest value, so I chose the second lowest value and go from there, its really trial and error, you have to play around with your calculator with the routes to see which value gives you the lowest

Okay I guess you just use your own initiative since it's also only 2 marks !

Original post by posthumus
Okay I guess you just use your own initiative since it's also only 2 marks !

Yes.!
Reply 284
Original post by Brunette_Gem
ohh ok, how is D1 now? I'm finding it alright, will do my first paper in an hour. I've been using this: http://www.examsolutions.net/maths-revision/syllabuses/Edexcel/period-1/D1/module.php

Its fine. Out of all the Papers I have 5A*s, and I'm now just re-doing non-A*s.

Going over my Exam Technique and anything which I may not understand.
okay for the activities to be happening at day 20 is the answer D, I , J , L ?

Hi yes but they have H as well I think it might just be looking at the network and figuring it out but that seems reallly dangerous :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Better
Its fine. Out of all the Papers I have 5A*s, and I'm now just re-doing non-A*s.

Going over my Exam Technique and anything which I may not understand.

Do you have any tips on how to get 100 ums on d1 or near that??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Anythingoo1
That's pretty spot on Khaleesi, personally I'd say CPA is slightly harder than Linear programming because of the stupid dummies and confusing forward/backward passes :angry:

I'm kinda' with you on that, they're both right at the bottom, definitely! I just hate finding the optimal solution etc on Linear Programming! I really hope I get an A in this exam!

P.S I'm glad someone understands my username
My Sun and Stars :cute:
Original post by Flounder1
Hi yes but they have H as well I think it might just be looking at the network and figuring it out but that seems reallly dangerous :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes H is also, you have to use your mind and draw it, you have like visualise it in your mind, quite a tough cookie question

Posted from TSR Mobile

for part f) is this the answer

At day 20 , there are 5 activities that take place and therefore 5 workers are needed and the lower bound shows that 4 workers are needed?
for part f) is this the answer

At day 20 , there are 5 activities that take place and therefore 5 workers are needed and the lower bound shows that 4 workers are needed?

Yep :smile: but without the lower bound bit

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 291
Do you have any tips on how to get 100 ums on d1 or near that??

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't get cocky. Read, and Re-READ the Question. If you have to actually physically go over the question with your Pen.

If it's something like Critical Path Analysis, or Route Inspection, look at the next parts to get an idea of where the question is going and the type of mindset you need to be in.

If you can do that the rest is pretty much clock work. Make your own handing writing eligible, and do whatever it takes to get the marks.

I.e. for Linear Programming I often Draw my Graphs incorrectly, so now I do stuff like this
x , y
(10, 5)

Just to make it clear to myself. Dumb stuff, but it when I got the A*s in the Mock Papers I did that's what I did.

Glad you asked that actually because I actually had to think about how to get questions right, rather than focusing on mistakes.
Yep :smile: but without the lower bound bit

Posted from TSR Mobile

what do you mean sorry? no lower bound?
what do you mean sorry? no lower bound?

everything you said
until you started talking about the lower bound is four workers was the answer

Posted from TSR Mobile
everything you said
until you started talking about the lower bound is four workers was the answer

Posted from TSR Mobile

so what I said will that get full marks from mark scheme?

and did you understand the question? if not i explain :smile:
so what I said will that get full marks from mark scheme?

and did you understand the question? if not i explain :smile:

Yep wohoo yea I got it in the end thankyou!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yep wohoo yea I got it in the end thankyou!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Which other questions do you have?

What happens if they said to you , give activities that may happen at day 20? what would you say
Which other questions do you have?

What happens if they said to you , give activities that may happen at day 20? what would you say

I don't think their is any that may happen :s-smilie: all that do occur are a must

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't think their is any that may happen :s-smilie: all that do occur are a must

Posted from TSR Mobile

So if they say may happen, what do you look at? I understand the most but not sure the may
So if they say may happen, what do you look at? I understand the most but not sure the may

You look at how much of a float it has and then just see in your mind (if without a Gantt chart) if the event can happen on each before or after day 20 without delaying the project
If it delays it then its a must?
If it doesn't then it's a may? I think I don't want to screw up your knowledge

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply