The Student Room Group

AQA Geography Unit 1 May 14th 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AeTheCrash
it wasnt for me, because i didnt have problems with it, but people that i know had difficulties spotting things in the picture

Yh because the question specifically said using the figure only...
I did this paper last year. Its the biggest pile of rubbish ever made. The Chief Examiner who made it even admitted it didn't work well - the questions are poor, there is too little time to write.

Fortunately, the grade boundaries are extremely low. Last year they were 72/120 for an A or something. Probably same this year - though they are trying to tighten boundaries this year.
Original post by Zach17
Hey guys, just joined the forum because I wanted to ask what exactly you think was wrong with the picture? I mean it was a three marker I'm assuming its one mark for saying it was a dam and another for pointing out the reservoir is it the last mark you're annoyed about?

It was a four marker,the two points you said there are probably worth marks, I hope so since I put them, although after that it became a bit of a struggle
Reply 1183
I thought the paper was a joke. How can you set a section of rivers and not mention any landforms or processes? clerly not a true reflection of the syllabus. On the population... what did everyone put on the contrasting areas on the ordanance survey map? also how can you draw an esker for 4 marks.... if i want an A think the boundaries may have to be lowered to about 9/120 lol
Not really since January 2013 was 74 for an A, and January papers tend to have higher grade boundaries anyway. They won't do a tightening of the boundaries in 2013 for this exam, because it would be unfair as it would be easier for people taking the paper in January
Original post by NewCeremony
I am. I'm doing rivers, coasts, population and health :smile: have you begun revision yet? I don't know where to start!

Posted from TSR Mobile

What did you think of it?
Reply 1186
Original post by mahatma ghandi
It was a four marker,the two points you said there are probably worth marks, I hope so since I put them, although after that it became a bit of a struggle

Original post by hassanakhtaruk
Yh because the question specifically said using the figure only...

I remember it being three, but I'm probably wrong, any ideas what the third mark would have been for?
im sorry but i have to say it.

**** YOU AQA
Original post by Jaydude
It's ums score..not the raw marks. So unit 1 is 140ums and I think unit 2 is 60 ums. They convert your raw marks to ums.

Posted from TSR Mobile

So it's the UMS that really matters rather than the raw mark?
Original post by Zach17
I remember it being three, but I'm probably wrong, any ideas what the third mark would have been for?

I hope you're right because I definitely didn't get 4 marks :smile:. But unfortunately I think it was 4
Reply 1190
i would love to see a markscheme for this paper to confirm that i got a u
Original post by sophieproud
What did you think of it?

Rivers and coasts weren't so good, hoping I picked up marks in the smaller questions, the fifteen marks were like what :frown: Population and health were great though, hopefully I make up for the physical side there. You?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1192
Original post by sophieproud
I'm sure it was 4 marks. I wrote that obviously it is a dam, at the Yangtze River in China, it consists of a huge wall built across the river, the floodwater behind forms a reservoir and the water is slowly released preventing a flood from occurring.

Original post by mahatma ghandi
I hope you're right because I definitely didn't get 4 marks :smile:. But unfortunately I think it was 4

Fair enough, that's more than I put. I can't imagine they would make it hard to get the marks in a describe question but I understand the people saying there wasn't much to talk about and it was a bad picture.
Original post by imnotcharlotte
Oh thank god! - I wrote about how sometimes people need to be rehomed
advantages also it can create jobs, and increase habitats for things like fish

One of the best bits of geography the fact that its quite lenient - the picture of the dam was pretty awful, Way to small!but the question was alright

Erosion (CASH) and then discribed headland/bays (I realllly wanted to write about orthogonal waves), how Stacks/stumps (Old harry and his wife) form then I did about longshort drift and how it can form bars then a case study about Slapton Ley

hahaha yeah it would have been alright if i knew what it was!
To those people who have done unit 2: what UMS do you need to achieve the grade you want? I got 47 UMS in unit 2, which means I need 113 UMS for an A- difficult to know right now :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1195
Just wondering what everyone wrote for the 6 marker on the social welfare question on the population section?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Did anyone else put about Thailand or Germany for the populations 15 mark question ?
Reply 1197
Do the grade boundaries get decided BEFORE or AFTER the examiners see our papers?
Original post by Delohery
Just wondering what everyone wrote for the 6 marker on the social welfare question on the population section?

Posted from TSR Mobile

lower quality damp housing=poor health
lower educational achievement=unlikely to get a skilled job
therefore less disposable income, leads to less money to spend on high quality food, lower standard of living more possible health problems.
also I put even though I think it's a weak point but was in a textbook- less money to spend on enjoyment therefore more depression. Also a negative multiplier effect is possible.
fumes from cars in inner city exacerbate asthma problems

My points seemed to be mainly based around health, but I think they are legitimate.

this is for inner city compared to rural urban fringe
hold up , hold up, hold up

what was with the rivers questions

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending