The Student Room Group

Getting charged £260 to replace a door that is barely broken...

Well, when I was drunk got in and thought that throwing knives would be a good idea (definitely not).

So threw some knives and there was a few holes and minor dents in the door. My flat mate went and told the people who look over the property (private student accommodation). I'm not proud of throwing knives, it's not big or clever and I fully regret it. I also took full responsibility. This wasn't why I was annoyed.

Well we got inspected and then later I received and email, it stated that I would have to pay them £260 just to fix the door. It was a bog standard fire door, none of the actual components where damaged, just a few holes in the door. I checked online and the door would cost at best £70 and my mums boyfriend who has been a joiner for 35 years and specialized in doors the last 10 would be able to fit the thing in no more than 2 hours.

So what I can't understand is;
A. How it could possibly cost that much to replace the door (not even hinges or the special fire door thing that makes it close slowly) literally just the wooden part.
B. You could plaster over, sand and paint it for no more than £30 so why are they insisting that I pay to replace it.
C. I paid a £360 deposit and now they are requesting me to pay them £260 that I do not have (I literally can barely afford to pay rent), why can't they use the deposit, that's what is there for right?

I have exams and i'm barely able to sleep because I can't do anything about this. My mum can barely afford to pay it and I don't want to cause her any trouble either.

Ahhh, got a 3rd party joiner/carpenter/decorator which ever you need for doors in and he said a quick sand and paint, little bit of wood filler and no more than half an hour should be no more than £30. Finally got it resolved. (Just shows how much they try dick you over it seems)
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Rarrgh
Well, when I was drunk got in and thought that throwing knives would be a good idea (definitely not).

So threw some knives and there was a few holes and minor dents in the door. My flat mate went and told the people who look over the property (private student accommodation).

Well we got inspected and then later I received and email, it stated that I would have to pay them £260 just to fix the door. It was a bog standard fire door, none of the actual components where damaged, just a few holes in the door. I checked online and the door would cost at best £70 and my mums boyfriend who has been a joiner for 35 years and specialized in doors the last 10 would be able to fit the thing in no more than 2 hours.

A. How it could possibly cost that much to replace the door (not even hinges or the special fire door thing that makes it close slowly) literally just the wooden part.
B. You could plaster over, sand and paint it for no more than £30 so why are they insisting that I pay to replace it.
C. I paid a £360 deposit and now they are requesting me to pay them £260 that I do not have (I literally can barely afford to pay rent), why can't they use the deposit, that's what is there for right?

I have exams and i'm barely able to sleep because I can't do anything about this. My mum can barely afford to pay it and I don't want to cause her any trouble either.

Please don't kill me for stating the obvious, but can't you ask them what exactly the £260 is for? So you know why there are charging a lot more than you think is necessary? Perhaps there is something in a contract that states you owe them excess for damages on top of the actual damage caused (if you see what i mean)
Reply 2
Here are some pictures of the door that requires £260 to repair ¬.¬

2013-05-14 20.00.59.jpg
2013-05-14 20.01.06.jpg
2013-05-14 20.01.30.jpg
2013-05-14 20.01.35.jpg
Reply 3
Original post by Rarrgh
Here are some pictures of the door that requires £260 to repair ¬.¬

2013-05-14 20.00.59.jpg
2013-05-14 20.01.06.jpg
2013-05-14 20.01.30.jpg
2013-05-14 20.01.35.jpg

Go to your students union and ask for help with this issue.
I personally think they'll just use it to make money of you and keep the door.
Ask them if you decided to do it yourself, they would probably say no and chat crap to make more money off you.

Ask them for a breakdown of the cost.
Original post by Rarrgh
Well, when I was drunk got in and thought that throwing knives would be a good idea

..... really.... I mean, there's drunk and then there's.... well, you, it would seem.

On the other hand, those pictures don't look too bad, if I was you I would have claimed that the holes were already there, not sure why your flatmate got involved? (unless douchebag :wink: )
If you can barely afford to pay rent, is what little money you have really best spent on getting drunk and throwing knives at doors?

The deposit is there as a backup in case, for example, you now legged it.

You don't have to pay £260 unless there's an additional cost in a contract, as Delphinus said. If there's no clause mentioning such a cost, then they can't just charge however much they like.

Put it this way: they can't ask for £50000 to fix the door without justifying it, and so they have to do the same in this case. Ask them to explain why so much is necessary, and to give you an invoice for the work afterwards so you can see how much was actually needed.
Reply 6
Original post by Delphinus
Please don't kill me for stating the obvious, but can't you ask them what exactly the £260 is for? So you know why there are charging a lot more than you think is necessary? Perhaps there is something in a contract that states you owe them excess for damages on top of the actual damage caused (if you see what i mean)

I have and they are reluctant to show me them. They are just one of the worst organisations that I have ever dealt with, half the stuff they said the had on the contract they have not supplied, and also they broke contract as they have to provide at least 48 hours notice before inspections but on the occasion of the door they only gave 4.
Reply 7
Original post by The Polymath
If you can barely afford to pay rent, is what little money you have really best spent on getting drunk and throwing knives at doors?

The deposit is there as a backup in case, for example, you now legged it.

You don't have to pay £260 unless there's an additional cost in a contract, as Delphinus said. If there's no clause mentioning such a cost, then they can't just charge however much they like.

Put it this way: they can't ask for £50000 to fix the door without justifying it, and so they have to do the same in this case. Ask them to explain why so much is necessary, and to give you an invoice for the work afterwards so you can see how much was actually needed.

I have gone out drinking 3 times in the whole year i've been at university. Most of my drink is the whisky that I bring from home. I understand what you meant but honestly I don't enjoy drinking and I do it very rarely.
Reply 8
Original post by Alexgadgetman
..... really.... I mean, there's drunk and then there's.... well, you, it would seem.

On the other hand, those pictures don't look too bad, if I was you I would have claimed that the holes were already there, not sure why your flatmate got involved? (unless douchebag :wink: )

Yeah I don't think before acting usually, even more so when drunk. (also had learnt how to properly throw knives only a few weeks back) hence why I though like doing it.

And he is a major douchebag, and I only admitted to it because I didn't want to bring my flatmates into it as that would be unfair on them (though I don't seem to get the same respect back).
Reply 9
Original post by Rarrgh

So threw some knives and there was a few holes and minor dents in the door. My flat mate went and told the people who look over the property (private student accommodation).

Labour (2 men for an hour + callout costs). Materials (i.e. a new door). Paint. Administration costs (you may have to pay a fee because you damaged the door yourself - comprised of the agent's time and labour + a penalty charge), VAT. It adds up.

Why would the landlord want to do half a job when it's not their fault that you vandalised their property. It's reasonable to want a replacement and not a smoothing over of the holes.

No, the deposit is there for other purposes (i.e. to secure the tenancy and to encourage you to leave the property in as good a condition as you received it in), It is not there as a slush fund to repair things during the tenancy.
Reply 10
Original post by Rarrgh
I have and they are reluctant to show me them. They are just one of the worst organisations that I have ever dealt with, half the stuff they said the had on the contract they have not supplied, and also they broke contract as they have to provide at least 48 hours notice before inspections but on the occasion of the door they only gave 4.

Are you not on good terms with the owner of the flat who's door this is? i.e. why did they go and tell the accommodation/property managers straight away, dropping you right in it?

How are they asking for payment, cash or cheque or what?

Well in this instance, if you think they are in breach of the contract you need some more formal advice than TSR, probably. Equally they shouldn't be 'reluctant' and if they are you probably need to be more pushy. Although, how would another 44 hours have helped? Surely the marks would've stull been there?
Reply 11
You could tell them that you will replace/fix it yourself and get your mum's fella to help if necessary (and if he is willing).
Reply 12
Original post by Delphinus
Are you not on good terms with the owner of the flat who's door this is? i.e. why did they go and tell the accommodation/property managers straight away, dropping you right in it?

How are they asking for payment, cash or cheque or what?

Well in this instance, if you think they are in breach of the contract you need some more formal advice than TSR, probably. Equally they shouldn't be 'reluctant' and if they are you probably need to be more pushy. Although, how would another 44 hours have helped? Surely the marks would've stull been there?

It was the kitchen/living room door, and they don't care what way I pay but they want the money by the end of may. I have already had to postpone when I pay my rent due to just not having money. I don't start work until just after may and even then that is to just make up the rent that I can't afford to pay anyway.
Reply 13
Original post by Mad Vlad
Labour (2 men for an hour + callout costs). Materials (i.e. a new door). Paint. Administration costs (you may have to pay a fee because you damaged the door yourself - comprised of the agent's time and labour + a penalty charge), VAT. It adds up.

Why would the landlord want to do half a job when it's not their fault that you vandalised their property. It's reasonable to want a replacement and not a smoothing over of the holes.

No, the deposit is there for other purposes (i.e. to secure the tenancy and to encourage you to leave the property in as good a condition as you received it in), It is not there as a slush fund to repair things during the tenancy.

I moved into a flat which had a broken bed, a missing handle from the window, a hole in the windowsill, the shower was broken, the oven was broken, the towel rails fell off, the hoover was broken, we were missing chairs and we were promised high speed broadband internet and after doing a speed check of the internet it is worse than 99% of the UK yet the people who live across the road can access perfectly good internet, not even that but they won't allow us to buy our own separate internet.

I'm not the only one, every single person in the properties have had the same problems and people from the year before and before etc have had problems. If you want some evidence check out the thread for Brayford Court in the Lincoln uni section of TSR.

They don't care to let us move into a mostly broken flat. Before I did anything to the door you could tell they had only plastered and painted over the door when it had been damaged before hand. There's damp on the ceiling as well which we informed them of and they have done nothing.

Why should I take all the **** i've been given all year from them and then one accidental drunken act and I get utterly dicked over for it.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Rarrgh
I moved into a flat which had a broken bed, a missing handle from the window, a hole in the windowsill, the shower was broken, the oven was broken, the towel rails fell off, the hoover was broken, we were missing chairs and we were promised high speed broadband internet and after doing a speed check of the internet it is worse than 99% of the UK yet the people who live across the road can access perfectly good internet, not even that but they won't allow us to buy our own separate internet.

I'm not the only one, every single person in the properties have had the same problems and people from the year before and before etc have had problems. If you want some evidence check out the thread for Brayford Court in the Lincoln uni section of TSR.

They don't care to let us move into a mostly broken flat. Before I did anything to the door you could tell they had only plastered and painted over the door when it had been damaged before hand. There's damp on the ceiling as well which we informed them of and they have done nothing.

Why should I take all the **** i've been given all year from them and then one accidental drunken act and I get utterly dicked over for it.

That's terrible! I see where you're coming from. I wouldn't want to pay either if I had so many things wrong with the place I was renting. They obviously don't care about the damage, only the money.
Fix the door yourself then act dumb about getting any email. Kick your flatmate in the dick for snitching on you.
Reply 16
Original post by The Troll Toll
Fix the door yourself then act dumb about getting any email. Kick your flatmate in the dick for snitching on you.

Already sanded and plastered it, just gotta get the right colored paint then i'm going to get a second opinion to see if I can get out of it. They can't try dick me over for repairing it cause the money they were charging was to replace even though it was a good £100 over what materials and labor would have cost.
I don't think you should have plastered the door. Fire doors are not made out of plaster.
Reply 18
Original post by The Troll Toll
I don't think you should have plastered the door. Fire doors are not made out of plaster.

Just filling in the cracks, not the whole door, they were no larger than a standard knife, sanded most of it out anyway.
That's great hustle, but I still would have used wood filler instead of plaster.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending