The Student Room Group

What does an offer like ABB/AAB mean?

What does it mean if the university specifies you need ABB/AAB? Which one do you need in this case and what is the difference?

My friend got a similar offer, two grades separated by "/" as a requirement for a foreign qualification.

Thanks
I think it means that you can get either AAB or ABB to get in; they're being flexible on their offer conditions. Basically, the absolute minimum you can achieve to get in is ABB.
Original post by erklam
What does it mean if the university specifies you need ABB/AAB? Which one do you need in this case and what is the difference?

My friend got a similar offer, two grades separated by "/" as a requirement for a foreign qualification.

Thanks

That doesn't seem to make logical sense. Is this in a formal offer through Ucas, or just the typical requirements e.g. on the department's webpage?
Reply 3
Original post by ageshallnot
That doesn't seem to make logical sense. Is this in a formal offer through Ucas, or just the typical requirements e.g. on the department's webpage?

Thanks for the responses. It is the text of the official condition.
Original post by erklam
Thanks for the responses. It is the text of the official condition.

Hmm, don't know what to say really because if you get AAB then you have clearly satisfied the ABB condition; and if you get ABB you don't need AAB!

No conditions in either version about specific subjects?
If that's actually what he's been given as an offer, the uni shouldn't have done that. Offers are meant to be clear an unambiguous. It would be worth contacting them to find out what exactly they mean and pointing out that the offer obviously has two possible interpretations.
Reply 6
Original post by Potally_Tissed
If that's actually what he's been given as an offer, the uni shouldn't have done that. Offers are meant to be clear an unambiguous. It would be worth contacting them to find out what exactly they mean and pointing out that the offer obviously has two possible interpretations.

Now that is an excellent point. The thing is, we are hesitant to contact the uni because we are talking about a small EU country's qualification, which the uni might not fully understand - and it could be to my friend's advantage.

It might happen that once my friend submits her results, she can point out the somewhat ambiguous condition and say, "hi guys, I met your condition. thanks see you in september". She is likely to get the first condition but won't achieve the second condition. It happened before even to me that universities said they require different grades at different times we contacted them probably because they are unsure about this qualification type. I understand that it is the applicant's responsibility to fully understand the conditions and ensure they are clear but couldn't this work to my friends advantage in this case? if she asks them and they say, oh, actually let us correct it and say we require the higher grade, she will never get in...

Thanks for all your input!
Original post by erklam
Now that is an excellent point. The thing is, we are hesitant to contact the uni because we are talking about a small EU country's qualification, which the uni might not fully understand - and it could be to my friend's advantage.

It might happen that once my friend submits her results, she can point out the somewhat ambiguous condition and say, "hi guys, I met your condition. thanks see you in september". She is likely to get the first condition but won't achieve the second condition. It happened before even to me that universities said they require different grades at different times we contacted them probably because they are unsure about this qualification type. I understand that it is the applicant's responsibility to fully understand the conditions and ensure they are clear but couldn't this work to my friends advantage in this case? if she asks them and they say, oh, actually let us correct it and say we require the higher grade, she will never get in...

The problem is if she gets ABB and the uni says "no, you didn't meet the conditions, bye". I see where you're coming from if there's no chance of AAB, then essentially it's the gamble of contacting them for clarification now and hoping they want ABB, or waiting until results day and hoping ABB is fine. That said, if the offer isn't clear or you don't understand it then really you should raise that with the uni as soon as possible. Finding out now that you need AAB wouldn't be great, finding out on results day when you've just got ABB that you needed to get AAB would be worse.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending