The Student Room Group

Engineering Companies and University Prestige

I know that for BEng/MEng graduates the prestige of the university isn't an issue really.

What about for other the STEM graduates that would be applying for engineering companies?

For example the earth sciences/geology graduates? Does the reputation of the university matter for these applicants for example?

I have an offer for a 3year course or a 4year course (with foundation) at a better university but I'm not sure which to go for.
Regardless of the answer, you're assuming that employers have the same notion of what universities are prestigious than yourself.

What if the university you consider to be the less prestigious of the two was actually considered more prestigious by an employer?
Reply 2
Original post by Smack
Regardless of the answer, you're assuming that employers have the same notion of what universities are prestigious than yourself.

What if the university you consider to be the less prestigious of the two was actually considered more prestigious by an employer?

True story Smack.

Realistically my issue is accreditation. The 3 year course is unaccredited whereas the 4 year one has Geological Society accreditation. I asked the accreditation question before but with no response decided to come from a different angle. Even though accreditation has nothing to do with reputation, I decided that an accredited department will at least appear more attractive than the unaccredited department for the short term basis that it holds the accreditation.
Reply 3
Original post by bestofyou
I know that for BEng/MEng graduates the prestige of the university isn't an issue really.

What about for other the STEM graduates that would be applying for engineering companies?

For example the earth sciences/geology graduates? Does the reputation of the university matter for these applicants for example?

I have an offer for a 3year course or a 4year course (with foundation) at a better university but I'm not sure which to go for.

In terms of accreditation, wouldn't it be better to study at an accredited university? Do you want to study and graduate from a non-accredited university and realise that your last 3 or 4 years did not mean anything? There is a reason for accrediting university courses.

Let me ask you another question. Where would you want to be treated, an accredited hospital or a non-accredited hospital?

I do not want to yap about prestige, but I think that some companies tend to look at prestige. However, if someone else from a "less prestigious" performs better, I think that most companies would go for the better student. I agree that the prestige level of a university is relative, but I, personally, would want to study at a prestigious university. It is just my choice.

This is how I see it.

Good luck with your choice. :smile:
True story Smack.

Realistically my issue is accreditation. The 3 year course is unaccredited whereas the 4 year one has Geological Society accreditation. I asked the accreditation question before but with no response decided to come from a different angle. Even though accreditation has nothing to do with reputation, I decided that an accredited department will at least appear more attractive than the unaccredited department for the short term basis that it holds the accreditation.

How important is accreditation for geology careers?
Reply 5
I received a negative rating because I wrote my opinion. If someone does not agree, the person should argue his/her point and not rate me. I think that it is a bit of timidity to hide. We are in a society where we debate issues to learn from one another.

I was only giving the OP my honest opinion on the matter.

So sad. :frown:
Reply 6
Original post by Smack
How important is accreditation for geology careers?

I don't know, that is what I was trying to find out. Not much information on this site. I am thinking of emailing universities and asking them. I might just email the university that gave me the offer and see what they say. Though if they want me to go to that university and see accreditation may be an issue I have a feeling they wouldn't put it very bluntly for me...

Original post by MEXING
I received a negative rating because I wrote my opinion. If someone does not agree, the person should argue his/her point and not rate me. I think that it is a bit of timidity to hide. We are in a society where we debate issues to learn from one another.

Yeah happens an awful lot, I just removed my 'who gave me rep' box so I never know if I get any rating.
Reply 7
I don't know, that is what I was trying to find out. Not much information on this site. I am thinking of emailing universities and asking them. I might just email the university that gave me the offer and see what they say. Though if they want me to go to that university and see accreditation may be an issue I have a feeling they wouldn't put it very bluntly for me...

Yeah happens an awful lot, I just removed my 'who gave me rep' box so I never know if I get any rating.

Yeah, it is funny.

Good luck with your decision. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest