The Student Room Group

Unofficial AQA Biology Unit 3 GCSE NEW SPEC Mark Scheme

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Graph was change in volume of lungs over time I think:smile:.
Reply 101
Original post by Helena...
Graph was change in volume of lungs over time I think:smile:.

But, that's not the graph with the 0.6 calculation.

I'm going to go to sleep now. I've edited the main post with some more answers. There's still a few gaps but 90% of everything is there, I think. PM me if you find any gaps or have any more answers. Bye for now...
Reply 102
For question 7, I think the first part was asking why the glucose levels were different. I said something to the effect of: "The small intestine is where glucose is absorbed into the blood. This means there would be a high level of blood glucose in the portal vein leading from the small intestine to the liver. However, in the liver, some glucose is converted into glycogen by insulin to be stored there, and so the blood glucose level would fall, and therefore there would be less blood glucose in the hepatic portal vein leading away from the liver." (I may have got the portal and the hepatic portal vein the wrong way round).

The second part was asking why it had changed after six hours, I didn't really get this, I wrote the same thing for this and the last question. The last question was something like 'explain why the glucose level was higher in the hepatic portal vein than in the portal vein.' I wrote something like: "As he has not eaten over the last six hours, very little or no glucose is being absorbed into the blood in the small intestine, so the blood glucose level has fallen. Glucagon has been secreted by the pancreas to increase it. This converts glycogen in the liver back into glucose, and therefore the blood glucose level in the hepatic portal vein is higher because there is more glucose being released into the blood from the liver."
You have finished it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 104
Woah, that didn't take long.
Anyway, not gonna look at it. I'd rather just wait for my results than see something I've done wrong and not be able to change it.
We're still either missing questions or not putting the marks high enough, they dont add up
Reply 106
Original post by HarryRiley88
We're still either missing questions or not putting the marks high enough, they dont add up

We're still missing some I think.

By the way, if you want to put up the wording of the questions, my friend told me the composition question was worded "give one feature of the composition of blood vessel F compared to vessel H" and that you could've talked about the composition of the vessel itself.

However, I seem to remember it asking about the composition of the blood in the vessels. Can anyone confirm for either side?
Original post by shan2097
We're still missing some I think.

By the way, if you want to put up the wording of the questions, my friend told me the composition question was worded "give one feature of the composition of blood vessel F compared to vessel H" and that you could've talked about the composition of the vessel itself.

However, I seem to remember it asking about the composition of the blood in the vessels. Can anyone confirm for either side?

Everyone I've spoken to has said the same as me that it's the composition of the blood not the vessel
I can't really remember much from the paper but from the unofficial mark scheme but i'm sure there was a question on blood vessels in constant temperature ?
There was also a question about how water is absorbed by osmosis and how mineral ions are absorbed by active transport. I think this was 4 marks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Midnight1811
I can't really remember much from the paper but from the unofficial mark scheme but i'm sure there was a question on blood vessels in constant temperature ?

There was one about how the the veins help to regulate temperature and the answer was Vasodilation/constriction to prevent or exxagerate radiation heat loss
Original post by pinkgorilla
There was also a question about how water is absorbed by osmosis and how mineral ions are absorbed by active transport. I think this was 4 marks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

what would be the answer for that ?

and
Original post by HarryRiley88
There was one about how the the veins help to regulate temperature and the answer was Vasodilation/constriction to prevent or exxagerate radiation heat loss

if i remember correctly it was worth four marks, was this included in the unofficial mark scheme ? any idea what a transpiration stream is ?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Midnight1811
what would be the answer for that ?

and

if i remember correctly it was worth four marks, was this included in the unofficial mark scheme ? any idea what a transpiration stream is ?

I think that active transport happens because theres a higher conc' inside the plant than in the soil and osmosis is because theres a higher conc' in the soil.

I think the transpiration stream was the network of xylem throughout the plant absorbing water from the roots through up the stem through the xylem and up to the leaves where evaporation occurs
Sorry random question.Just wanted to ask what do the majority of you use to revise?Cause I just review revision notes online and go through past papers.
So, things that need to be included are:

Active transport of mineral ions and osmosis of water in plant roots (2/3/4)

What is the transpiration stream? (2)

The question on blood capillaries changing at different temperatures. (4)

I am not too sure of the marks for it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 08zabilowiczc
So, things that need to be included are:

Active transport of mineral ions and osmosis of water in plant roots (2/3/4)

What is the transpiration stream? (2)

The question on blood capillaries changing at different temperatures. (4)

I am not too sure of the marks for it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The active transport one was 4 marks I'm pretty sure and blood capillaries was 3/4 I think but were missing 15 marks on the markscheme and this gives us 10 more marks so
Reply 116
SOME EXTRA THINGS THAT CAME UP:

Transpiration stream
The role of the blood vessels in maintaining a constant body temperature
Active transport and osmosis
Explain the graph about water loss from a leaf
For he blood vessel almost everyone I my school wrote something of the feature of it, for example, artery has a small lumen ... I don't re call it being about the blood I carries :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 118
Does anyone know for the blood vessel one if you will get the marks for saying its has more oxhomeglobin?
The question about 'whats different in the composition between vessel F and H' Was definitely about blood composition, hence why it was only 1 or 2 marks, because its only asking for two things. If it was a question on whats different between the artery and a vein it would have specified what type of vessels they are rather than have you guess and there are 6 points of interest in difference between vessels so it would have definitely been a 4 mark question. Also my biology teacher did the paper during her free period yesterday and she put blood composition too so I'm just gonna go with that

Quick Reply

Latest