The Student Room Group

You ever had a stranger say anything to you?

What I mean is, you're minding your own business or whatever and then some stranger makes a comment for whatever reason.

So I had some woman tell me 'to watch the road or you'll get run over', because I was looking at a dog, lol.

I actually don't appreciate things said to me by strangers even if it is for my own good.

Another example was this man asked me why my bag was so big? I was thinking mind your own f****%%g business. But I didn't say it out loud because he was big. What are these people on.

I'd like to think of myself as normal and I just wouldn't say stuff to random people like this unless I needed directions or something like that.
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Old people do it to me all the time when I have my head phones in...then we finish talking, I put them back in and they start again.

For me its usually just the oldies who do this. Occasionally get the odd perve shouting out of a van window or something. ergh.
'Do you wash your hair?' has been said to me by so many people. (Dreadlocks, and yes, I do.)

Also 'Do you take/smoke/sell drugs?' which gets annoying after a while.
I think it's just being friendly.
It seemed a normal thing to do when I lived up north but in London only foreign people seem to do it.

When I was queuing in sainsburys yesterday the south african tourist in front of me started joking because we were both buying oreos :tongue:

I quite like it... although I don't often start the conversations.
Original post by JennaEmBee
Old people do it to me all the time when I have my head phones in...then we finish talking, I put them back in and they start again.

For me its usually just the oldies who do this. Occasionally get the odd perve shouting out of a van window or something. ergh.

I actually forgot about perves! I don't mind people taking to me as long as it's not pervy.

Even if they think it's a compliment it's never pleasant for random men to comment on your body as you walk past :frown:
god, this thread is so devastatingly british.
Reply 6
I went into Greggs on my lunch break at work the other day, and as i'm waiting for my order there's a man next to me who starts talking. I had no idea what he said so I just ignored him, but he kept going on and ended up having a massive rant to me about how ''people like me'' had a bad attitude. Apparently I thought I was above everyone else as I was wearing a suit :dontknow: Could not get out of there quick enough.

On the plus side i've had a few nice people start talking to me if i'm waiting for the bus or something. When I broke my leg earlier this year, loads of people would go out of their way to help me. One night i'd finished doing my essay, some girl who i'd never met before holds open the door for me and walked with me almost the entire way home.
Reply 7
Lady touched my hair while I was walking.

I've had quite a few moments where people speak to me but a stranger touching me is just odd.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8
I was on the train home at night once and a hideously drunk man sat down across from me, stared intently into my eyes for several seconds before grunting "toilet!" at me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by Bellissima
god, this thread is so devastatingly british.

Lol yes, we're all so cut off from each other yes if I make small talk in public im strange :rolleyes:

I don't think it's necessarily British it's just the day and age we live in where nobody can be trusted

I remember an old lady saying I was good looking and giving me dark chocolate if I didn't know any better id say she was offering me a proposition !

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Randomized
I went into Greggs on my lunch break at work the other day, and as i'm waiting for my order there's a man next to me who starts talking. I had no idea what he said so I just ignored him, but he kept going on and ended up having a massive rant to me about how ''people like me'' had a bad attitude. Apparently I thought I was above everyone else as I was wearing a suit :dontknow: Could not get out of there quick enough.

On the plus side i've had a few nice people start talking to me if i'm waiting for the bus or something. When I broke my leg earlier this year, loads of people would go out of their way to help me. One night i'd finished doing my essay, some girl who i'd never met before holds open the door for me and walked with me almost the entire way home.

you know maybe it's the fact he was talking to you and you ignored him? just a wild guess of course.

but it's nice that you do actually respond to people if they are doing something for you. well done.
Went into greggs with my mate, and this bloke in front of us just says, "mates, you can still be a man when you buy a gingerbread man" I believe this is true and probably the best philosophical advice I had have yet. **** you Descartes :wink:
Original post by diggy
Lol yes, we're all so cut off from each other yes if I make small talk in public im strange :rolleyes:

I don't think it's necessarily British it's just the day and age we live in where nobody can be trusted

I remember an old lady saying I was good looking and giving me dark chocolate if I didn't know any better id say she was offering me a proposition !

Posted from TSR Mobile

yes, i'm afraid it is british. you leave the UK and the difference is crazy. in many places it's completely normal to just say "hello" to strangers at minimum. having a conversation is commonplace.

what i find strange is the reactions that people are demonstrating here to people just TALKING. why do you have to consider the motives of someone just trying to chat with you? why does their trustworthiness have to be measured? of course anyone who has fallen victim to a lecherous man making slimy comments would agree that is horrible... but just normal day to day chit chat? why not?
Reply 13
Me and a few of my mates were standing outside one of our houses having a couple of cigarettes and some coffee while having a chat. Anyway we got on the topic of how pointlessly absurd life is and that the most random things happen for no reason. While having this conversation some guy was walking down the street dancing and and he stopped to talk to us, and offered me one of his headphones to listen to his 'tunes', then proceeded to dance down the street high of his face while listening to his techno.
Original post by Randomized

I agree with Bellissima, it sounded like you were quite rude to him.

I am surprised at the amount of people saying they hate it when strangers talk to them. For some older people you're probably the only person they've spoken to all day. I'm sure it would make them very happy for someone to just be polite and say hello to them.

Maybe this country would be better if we actually paid attention to the people around us rather than being so wrapped up in our own lives all the time.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Cake Faced Kid.
'Do you wash your hair?' has been said to me by so many people. (Dreadlocks, and yes, I do.)

Also 'Do you take/smoke/sell drugs?' which gets annoying after a while.

You probably look like a dirty hippie who rides around on a fixed-gear bicycle in new cross thinking you own the road, you plonker. That's why people ask if you sell drugs.
Reply 16
When i lived in the US people use to do it all the time and at first i found it weird but now living back here, i kind of miss it :frown:

one of the first times it happened to me i was at an Amish market (i know right) and some guy came up to me and started talking about how amazed he was at the different kinds of milk they had
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 17
The most common reason for a stranger to talk to me is to sell me something/give me a leaflet/ask for money/invite me to a church service :tongue:

When I come to think of it, strangers very rarely talk to me about things other than the above..
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 18
Im one of these strangers, i love sparking random conversation, its fun plus you never know if they input their number in my phone they may find me inputting something else soon enough
Reply 19
I get people talking to me in queues, which I don't mind, and for some reason I'm just someone people come up to in the library all the time to ask how to work the printer and stuff, I have no idea why except that apparently I have 'an approachable face', whatever that means!

What I hate though is getting talked to be teenage chavs or drunks. I mean everyone gets a comment from a bunch of twelve years old from time to time, and mostly it's harmless. Like today some kids said to me, 'Sorry madam, meet mr scotum' ...yeah that was odd. I just pretended to be totally engrossed in my phone and nearly walked into a lamp post. I just exude effortless coolness that way.
But old drunks are the worst. They're normally friendly but they're flirty and horrible. They always sit swigging from cans where I walk to uni and it's really intimidating sometimes to walk past. One of them said to me, 'You look like red riding hood' the other day and proceeded to howl with laughter.
So yeah, harmless but.. annoying.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending