The Student Room Group

US abortion doctor guilty of murders

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
He is a completely disgusting human being. How can he even live with himself after cutting the spines of babies that are moving. i feel sick. And the fact that he caused a drug overdose in patients. And whats this about severed baby limbs in bags?? no words... :angry:
Too many disgusting people on this Earth.
Reply 22
Original post by Ronove
To be picky, if they're delivered alive and breathing, I'm not sure they're called foetuses anymore.

My bad, I should have known better as I studied A Level Biology. :colondollar:

Either way, the point is that he committed infanticide on a mass scale, due to medical negligence (the woman who died from an overdose) and probably out of monetary greed (based on how much he was earning).
Reply 23
Original post by edithwashere
This is so messed up that I don't even know where the jury started sorting it out. Feel so much for those poor women and their children. However, I do think it's very true that this is a result of what happens when abortions are limited - these women wanted to end their pregnancies, they were poor and mostly from ethnic backgrounds (some, including the adult woman who died, were refugees) and they could only access this. If you limit women's access to safe and hygienic healthcare, including abortion, then this type of thing will happen. Obviously I am in no way excusing this man's actions, he's a monster, but it certainly plays on my mind.

I'm going to call BS on this. There is ABSOLUTELY NO SHORTAGE of abortion clinics in Philadelphia so to blame this of a lack access to abortions for "poor, and ethnic women" in Philadelphia is nonsense. This is not Jackson, Mississippi.

http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&gs_rn=12&gs_ri=psy-ab&suggest=p&pq=google&cp=23&gs_id=20&xhr=t&rls=com.microsoft:en-ca:IE-SearchBox&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&bvm=bv.46471029,d.aWM&biw=1320&bih=558&wrapid=tljp1368571524463042&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=abortion+clinics+in+philadelphia&fb=1&gl=ca&hq=abortion+clinics&hnear=0x89c6b7d8d4b54beb:0x89f514d88c3e58c1,Philadelphia,+PA,+USA&sa=X&ei=kL6SUamZOcjMqQHvnoGABw&sqi=2&ved=0CLQBEMgT

How the morons that write for the Huffington Post can read this story, brush aside the murder of probably hundreds of babies at the hands of this sick and twisteed individual over many decades, and turn it into an argument for more abortion clinics is sickening.

As for these women? Sorry - but this is no longer in the realm of "pro-choice" We are not talking about abortions here. The limit for abortions in Pennsylvania is 24 weeks. We are talking about murder - that's what this doctor was found guilty of and these women were complicit in it. Poverty or ethnicity are not excusable reasons. These women should be tried along with doctor.
He should certainly get everything that's coming to him, not least for the adult manslaughter and for illegal late abortions.

However, and I know this won't be a popular opinion, I don't think that very late term abortions should be held under the same conditions as murder. There is a huge difference between killing a premature baby that has no more consciousness than the animals that get killed every day, and killing a human who is aware of their life, and has invested in their past and future.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's disgusting. I don't know how any human could hold a living potential human up and cut its spine with scissors. All I'm saying is that it shouldn't be treated as first degree murder.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 25
Pennsylvania's authorities have a lot to answer for; even he weren't performing abortions past the limit, his clinic should have been shut down years ago, no qualified nurses, unqualified, unlicensed, unsupervised staff, terribly unsanitary conditions. Not one of its abortion clinics had a routine inspection in the last 15 years, his wasn't even inspected after complaints were received.

But the simple existence of abortion clinics isn't the same as actually having access to one. Poor people often can't afford abortions and even those with health insurance can experience trouble funding one.
This doctor is dying soon anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 27
Original post by Octohedral
He should certainly get everything that's coming to him, not least for the adult manslaughter and for illegal late abortions.

However, and I know this won't be a popular opinion, I don't think that very late term abortions should be held under the same conditions as murder. There is a huge difference between killing a premature baby that has no more consciousness than the animals that get killed every day, and killing a human who is aware of their life, and has invested in their past and future.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's disgusting. I don't know how any human could hold a living potential human up and cut its spine with scissors. All I'm saying is that it shouldn't be treated as first degree murder.

Really? So, these babies that were removed at 30 weeks have no more consciousness than the animals that get killed every day so shouldn't really be thought of as humans and those that kill them not thought of as murders? But presumably if they spent just six more weeks in the womb and werre delivered into the world at the hands of a midwife before having their spines cut you would consider it murder?

What a difference six weeks makes!

Let's stop calling this "illegal late abortion" and call a spade a spade. Abortion in the state of Pennsylvania, as in the UK, is legal to 24 weeks. After that time the law considers the fetus to be a human being and it becomes murder.
Original post by Howard
Really? So, these babies that were removed at 30 weeks have no more consciousness than the animals that get killed every day so shouldn't really be thought of as humans and those that kill them not thought of as murders? But presumably if they spent just six more weeks in the womb and werre delivered into the world at the hands of a midwife before having their spines cut you would consider it murder?

What a difference six weeks makes!

Let's stop calling this "illegal late abortion" and call a spade a spade. Abortion in the state of Pennsylvania, as in the UK, is legal to 24 weeks. After that time the law considers the fetus to be a human being and it becomes murder.

It's always going to be a spectrum, so there has to be a cut-off point. Calling it murder at birth doesn't invalidate my point any more than you calling it murder after 24 weeks, but not before.

Regardless of what the law says (and once again, I still think it's horrific and you need to be a very sick person to want to cut a baby's spine), I don't think killing a baby at 30 weeks from a mother who wanted an abortion is the same degree of crime as going up to an adult and cutting their throat. I'm not saying it isn't a crime, I'm saying that I would see it as illegal late abortion, possibly at the same crime level as manslaughter, but not murder.
Reply 29
Original post by tc92
I believe that all human life is important and that no one, whatever crimes they've committed, is a lost cause. The right to life is the most fundamental right, from which all others stem, and except in self-defence, we have no right to take any other person's life.

It is because I believe that human life is important that I believe in the death penalty. If a person commits a crime then the punishment should be equal to that crime. If all life is equal than if someone takes a life by murdering someone then they must pay with their life anything less devalues life. Anyone who violates life in premeditated murder should be put to death proclaiming clear support for the value of life.

Here is an example:

If someone damages an item of yours and the cost of the item is £100 and in compensation all they payed was £30. Is that fair? Is that Just? The person should compensate you for the full value of the item otherwise it shows a lack of respect for the value of the item lost.

In the same way you devalue life if a murderer doesn't have to pay for his crime with his life.
Reply 30
There is a difference between abortion and killing babies, absolute disgusting.
Reply 31
Original post by Octohedral
It's always going to be a spectrum, so there has to be a cut-off point. Calling it murder at birth doesn't invalidate my point any more than you calling it murder after 24 weeks, but not before.

Regardless of what the law says (and once again, I still think it's horrific and you need to be a very sick person to want to cut a baby's spine), I don't think killing a baby at 30 weeks from a mother who wanted an abortion is the same degree of crime as going up to an adult and cutting their throat. I'm not saying it isn't a crime, I'm saying that I would see it as illegal late abortion, possibly at the same crime level as manslaughter, but not murder.

You're saying that six weeks makes a difference. How do you extend that?

Humour me and take this argument out of the womb for a minute. If one man killed a newborn baby as soon as it left the womb and another killed a six week old baby, would you argue that the one who killed the six week old baby should deserve a more serious punishment than the one that killed the newborn?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending