The Student Room Group

Arsey's M1 May 2013 (International) Model Answers

Here are my answers to the International paper. I have done these very quickly and have not checked them.

I think this was massively more difficult than the UK one.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Is this the first year they created 2 papers? what's the point? Will this have an effect on the UK grade boundaries?
Reply 2
Original post by Arsey
Here are my answers to the International paper. I have done these very quickly and have not checked them.

I think this was massively more difficult than the UK one.

Hi Sir, I know this is irrelevant for this thread, but sir what do you think could come up in D1 this time? thanks
Reply 3
Original post by Loiks94
Is this the first year they created 2 papers? what's the point? Will this have an effect on the UK grade boundaries?

It could (could) maybe reduce the boundaries but I'm not sure, international people could easily have English friends and just facebook them for what came up. (it does happen).
With an international paper, this is unlikely to be successful, and so if the majority of the UK found it tricky then this could push down grade boundaries (don't take my word for it)
Reply 4
Original post by Loiks94

Edexcel have to separate UK from International A levels because the UK Govt has put an end to January exams and the international market for qualifications still wants/needs them.

It's a good thing to end the nonesense that students in China etc have already taken the paper before those in the UK leaving open a potential avenue for abuse in the internet age.

It's really unlikely to affect boundaries as international are a relatively small proportion of overall entries.
Reply 5
Original post by otrivine
Hi Sir, I know this is irrelevant for this thread, but sir what do you think could come up in D1 this time? thanks

I think Kruskal's - definitions on networks, difference between Kruskal's and Prim's

Sorting descending probably leading to bin packing - No flow charts

Possibly drawing an activity network or completing a precedence table

Gantt, very much doubt it will be scheduling

The usuals; Dikky, Postie, LP, matchings (maybe matching definitions).
Reply 6
Original post by Robbie242
It could (could) maybe reduce the boundaries but I'm not sure, international people could easily have English friends and just facebook them for what came up. (it does happen).
With an international paper, this is unlikely to be successful, and so if the majority of the UK found it tricky then this could push down grade boundaries (don't take my word for it)

It really will not make very much difference, but at a guess they could lower them a tiny bit. I don't know but my gut feeling is that results from international schools will be higher than UK.
Reply 7
Original post by Arsey
I think Kruskal's - definitions on networks, difference between Kruskal's and Prim's

Sorting descending probably leading to bin packing - No flow charts

Possibly drawing an activity network or completing a precedence table

Gantt, very much doubt it will be scheduling

The usuals; Dikky, Postie, LP, matchings (maybe matching definitions).

Thank you Sir and do you think quick sort could crop up, as they have not asked that in 4 of their papers

Do you think the postie will be the same level, cause the boundaries for jan 2013 were low so I presume they would be higher for summer?
Reply 8
Original post by otrivine
Thank you Sir and do you think quick sort could crop up, as they have not asked that in 4 of their papers

Do you think the postie will be the same level, cause the boundaries for jan 2013 were low so I presume they would be higher for summer?

It will be quick or bubble. Perfect both.

The first part of Postie is always the same, the last part can require a bit of thought thought.

I thought the D1 boundary in Jan was too high. 39/75 just to pass!
Reply 9
Original post by Arsey
It really will not make very much difference, but at a guess they could lower them a tiny bit. I don't know but my gut feeling is that results from international schools will be higher than UK.

Will you be doing an S2 mark scheme for the May exam? Not sure if Gibbo81 is doing one either. Just wondering, thanks.
Reply 10
Original post by Arsey
It will be quick or bubble. Perfect both.

The first part of Postie is always the same, the last part can require a bit of thought thought.

I thought the D1 boundary in Jan was too high. 39/75 just to pass!

That would be great,

it was 63 for an A and 56 for a B , a bit lower as compared to the 2012 papers!

One question Arsey, cause I am retaking as I did D1 in Jan 2013 but got a C, the post man question cost me an A because of silly mistake, do you have any tip sir for postman to avoid making mistakes like getting the route , such as AB+ CF for example , we need to work out the length of AB to get the smallest value, is there a way to avoid making mistake with that?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Arsey

If you quote me each time you post a new set of answers I will sticky them. I will release them after a day or two to make room for the next lot.
Reply 12
I'm an international student but got the UK paper? So the "UK paper" is apparently not just limited to the UK haha.
Reply 13
I am confused about Q3.
2gcos30 = 16.974, but you seem to have done 4gcos30 = 33.948.
By using 16.974 you get a = (1/3)g and T = (8/3)g
Reply 14
Original post by Kurraiyo
I'm an international student but got the UK paper? So the "UK paper" is apparently not just limited to the UK haha.

I looked it up in the Edexcel website. The "UK" version of the paper will be done in countries from GMT +0 to GMT +6.5. The "international" version will be done in countries from GMT+6.5 to GMT+9
Reply 15
Thanks Arsey for this!

If my memory is correct I got everything matched up except for the ones I couldn't answer. :smile:

Original post by Kurraiyo

Well, I think now it's a time zone thing. But who knows? It is Edexcel. :smile:
Original post by Elbridge
I am confused about Q3.
2gcos30 = 16.974, but you seem to have done 4gcos30 = 33.948.
By using 16.974 you get a = (1/3)g and T = (8/3)g

I'm confused to - since I got the same as you! 8g/3
Reply 17
Either way, what sort of grade boundaries do you think this paper would have if it is separately marked?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
i think i get wrong for Q7. AHHH
Reply 19
Will you upload S1 mark scheme?

Quick Reply

Latest