The Student Room Group

Why is FGM Off-Limits To Joke About.......

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kiss
How are you supposed to separate yourself from all those you think you're better than if you go about making jokes about the hardships of which others endure?

I wasn't personally advocating making such jokes in the media, I was seeking to explain the audience reaction. However, personally I don't find this as exceptionable as jokes about the rape of women. It's bizarre, so it's funny, precisely because it is so rare. Rape of women by men is, alas, all too commonplace.

Original post by Kiss

No it doesn't........

You're saying that a double standard is justified purely on the basis that one group hasn't suffered as much, despite the fact that whites and men suffer discrimination based upon their biological make up. It's still racist.

Whites don't suffer because of their race to even a small fraction of the way non-white people do. To define those as equivalents is absurd and shows that your agenda is deliberate distortion. I suspected from your OP that you were playing games - this confirms it.

Original post by Kiss

You're being very ignorant there if you're suggesting for a second that violence against men/sexism against men by women doesn't exist.

Which I didn't say - I was pointing out that it is a standard technique amongst feminism-deniers to try to equate the very small number of attacks by women on men with the huge number of attacks by men on women. This appears to be your agenda too.

Original post by Kiss

No, you've gone further to say that a double standard of laughing at a male victim isn't offensive, you said so in your earlier post.

Which I didn't say. I never once said that it isn't offensive.

Original post by Kiss

They still don't receive the same sentence as male perpetrators, and that is a fact.

Your sources so far appear to be about the US. I've heard of stiff sentences being handed out to women teachers in this country who abused their authority and attacked boys sexually.
Original post by rlw31
It doesn't really say anything either. It's just a list of female teacher-student relationships. Some of them haven't been substantiated and some of the women on that list haven't been convicted of anything. How that proves that women [on average?] don't receive the same sentences as men, I don't know.

Agreed, OP has a particular agenda and is distorting the facts to attempt to fit it.
Reply 42
there was a man on embarrassing bodies last night, who had his penis run over and they had to make a new penis from his fore arm. it looked like a pork sausage.
Reply 43
Original post by Fullofsurprises
I wasn't personally advocating making such jokes in the media, I was seeking to explain the audience reaction. However, personally I don't find this as exceptionable as jokes about the rape of women. It's bizarre, so it's funny, precisely because it is so rare. Rape of women by men is, alas, all too commonplace.

Murder is commonplace but that's socially acceptable to joke about - why aren't you screaming your head off at that as well?

Whites don't suffer because of their race to even a small fraction of the way non-white people do. To define those as equivalents is absurd and shows that your agenda is deliberate distortion. I suspected from your OP that you were playing games - this confirms it.

So you're actually saying that to make people equal we have to first treat them differently? You really are illogical. You're displaying all the typical aspects of the feminist who doesn't actuality want equality, rather just equal treatment :smile:

Which I didn't say - I was pointing out that it is a standard technique amongst feminism-deniers to try to equate the very small number of attacks by women on men with the huge number of attacks by men on women. This appears to be your agenda too.

You certainly implied it. No it's not, it's pointing out that men are just as capable of being subjected to abuse as women. You're equating the idea of a utilitarian construct that the majority needs to be benefited. That would be fine even if it initially excluded minority incidents, but as you've admitted, you find it funny when a majority group becomes a minority of a crime which affects them.

Which I didn't say. I never once said that it isn't offensive.

Again, you implied it when you admitted it's funny.

Your sources so far appear to be about the US. I've heard of stiff sentences being handed out to women teachers in this country who abused their authority and attacked boys sexually.

I've provided evidence in support of my arguments, you've provided none, and now you're trying to divert from original point to save face. It seems logical since you've failed to substantiate my points but I'd suggest you quit before you embarrass yourself :wink:
Kiss is quickly becoming my favourite poster on here. Once again I have to entirely agree with you but unfortunately I can't pos-rep you until I've repped others. Sorry.

Once again I find myself reading fullofsurprises posts and hitting my head against the wall. At first I thought most of her arguments were inconsistent - in the sense that she flip-flops throughout - then I have realised they are actually extremely consistent: consistently poor.

What we need to make abundantly clear here is that gender equality is something that both sexes have been fighting for for years. We have had the feminist movement, which was exceptionally good when it was needed, but now modern feminism is just one big hypocritical machine that doesn't seem to be going away because of the self-righteous views of its followers. Please note, I don't hate women, nor do I disagree with gender equality, but modern feminism is threatening to spoil the hard work done by those before it by turning the movement sour. What seems to be a prominent ideology of modern feminism is that all men are evil, or at least all men have the capacity to commit evil acts purely because they are men. What is very noticeable about fullofsurprises' posts is that she doesn't refer to the rapists for what they are (rapists) she refers to them as just 'men'. The seed is firmly planted in her head that men are rapists. What this tends to mean is that when the crime of rape is committed against a male it is often dismissed as a 'taste of their own medicine' or just plain insignificant because it is usually men doing the raping. It acts as justification for the dismissal of sexual or domestic violence against men. Whether this is a deliberate act or not I don't know.

It needs to be abundantly clear that violence against all genders is unacceptable, even if the violence against men isn't equally proportionate to the violence against women. That doesn't mean that one situation is any more serious than the other: tackling domestic and sexual violence shouldn't be done by emphasising one gender over another but by an egalitarian approach that accepts and understands these acts can be performed by both genders and that you have a personal duty to stop the heinous acts from taking place. To conclude on this point I would just like the modern feminist to put themselves in a mans shoes: they say that if you are told something over and over you begin to believe it. Modern feminists are always saying that men are dominant; that men rape; that men abuse and that men are superior. To be told that you are nothing but than a dominant, aggressive animal with the capacity for rape and violence every day isn't pleasant and some men may just begin to believe that's exactly what they are. It is a vicious circle of blame.

To go onto the inequality of sexism. I work in an area dominated by women (Healthcare). The women may not hold the executive positions but in the work place the women are very much in charge. I have faced sexism countless times but it hasn't been what I define as 'open sexism'. What men tend to face is 'covert sexism'. It may seem very trivial to you but when women constantly expect you to do all the heavy workload purely because you are a male it makes you question whether or not gender equality is truly a reachable or even desirable goal for some. Off the cuff remarks about how useless men are or how men do nothing but bring misery are common place. All of these are common place on day time TV too. Shows like Loose Women epitomise the definition of 'covert sexism'. As Kiss said, I am not crusading to ban these shows or indeed attempt to join the PC-brigade and say jokes or comments cannot be made. I am merely highlighting that they are made and made on a regular basis. However, we have to be unequivocally clear that it isn't one rule for one and another for another. To laugh at what the women are laughing about in the video is obscene in my opinion. If I was to laugh at a woman getting her breasts cut off I would be shouted down from the hills as a sexist. Just because, in the past, men have put women through dreadful ordeals does not give them the excuse to act in the way some act. Just like because 'white' people have put black people through great ordeals in the past does not give reasons for black people to be racist back. Apologists claim we should accept it as 'backlash' but I tend to think of it as reverse discrimination. If we are to truly be equal then we need all sides to be treated as one equal. That is of the upmost importance in any society.

That was a bit of a rant but there you go.
Reply 45
Original post by Blackburn_Allen
Kiss is quickly becoming my favourite poster on here. Once again I have to entirely agree with you but unfortunately I can't pos-rep you until I've repped others. Sorry.

Once again I find myself reading fullofsurprises posts and hitting my head against the wall. At first I thought most of her arguments were inconsistent - in the sense that she flip-flops throughout - then I have realised they are actually extremely consistent: consistently poor.

What we need to make abundantly clear here is that gender equality is something that both sexes have been fighting for for years. We have had the feminist movement, which was exceptionally good when it was needed, but now modern feminism is just one big hypocritical machine that doesn't seem to be going away because of the self-righteous views of its followers. Please note, I don't hate women, nor do I disagree with gender equality, but modern feminism is threatening to spoil the hard work done by those before it by turning the movement sour. What seems to be a prominent ideology of modern feminism is that all men are evil, or at least all men have the capacity to commit evil acts purely because they are men. What is very noticeable about fullofsurprises' posts is that she doesn't refer to the rapists for what they are (rapists) she refers to them as just 'men'. The seed is firmly planted in her head that men are rapists. What this tends to mean is that when the crime of rape is committed against a male it is often dismissed as a 'taste of their own medicine' or just plain insignificant because it is usually men doing the raping. It acts as justification for the dismissal of sexual or domestic violence against men. Whether this is a deliberate act or not I don't know.

It needs to be abundantly clear that violence against all genders is unacceptable, even if the violence against men isn't equally proportionate to the violence against women. That doesn't mean that one situation is any more serious than the other: tackling domestic and sexual violence shouldn't be done by emphasising one gender over another but by an egalitarian approach that accepts and understands these acts can be performed by both genders and that you have a personal duty to stop the heinous acts from taking place. To conclude on this point I would just like the modern feminist to put themselves in a mans shoes: they say that if you are told something over and over you begin to believe it. Modern feminists are always saying that men are dominant; that men rape; that men abuse and that men are superior. To be told that you are nothing but than a dominant, aggressive animal with the capacity for rape and violence every day isn't pleasant and some men may just begin to believe that's exactly what they are. It is a vicious circle of blame.

To go onto the inequality of sexism. I work in an area dominated by women (Healthcare). The women may not hold the executive positions but in the work place the women are very much in charge. I have faced sexism countless times but it hasn't been what I define as 'open sexism'. What men tend to face is 'covert sexism'. It may seem very trivial to you but when women constantly expect you to do all the heavy workload purely because you are a male it makes you question whether or not gender equality is truly a reachable or even desirable goal for some. Off the cuff remarks about how useless men are or how men do nothing but bring misery are common place. All of these are common place on day time TV too. Shows like Loose Women epitomise the definition of 'covert sexism'. As Kiss said, I am not crusading to ban these shows or indeed attempt to join the PC-brigade and say jokes or comments cannot be made. I am merely highlighting that they are made and made on a regular basis. However, we have to be unequivocally clear that it isn't one rule for one and another for another. To laugh at what the women are laughing about in the video is obscene in my opinion. If I was to laugh at a woman getting her breasts cut off I would be shouted down from the hills as a sexist. Just because, in the past, men have put women through dreadful ordeals does not give them the excuse to act in the way some act. Just like because 'white' people have put black people through great ordeals in the past does not give reasons for black people to be racist back. Apologists claim we should accept it as 'backlash' but I tend to think of it as reverse discrimination. If we are to truly be equal then we need all sides to be treated as one equal. That is of the upmost importance in any society.

That was a bit of a rant but there you go.

S'alright, I enjoyed it thoroughly.
Reply 46
Original post by Blackburn_Allen
I work in an area dominated by women (Healthcare). The women may not hold the executive positions but in the work place the women are very much in charge. I have faced sexism countless times but it hasn't been what I define as 'open sexism'. What men tend to face is 'covert sexism'. It may seem very trivial to you but when women constantly expect you to do all the heavy workload purely because you are a male it makes you question whether or not gender equality is truly a reachable or even desirable goal for some. Off the cuff remarks about how useless men are or how men do nothing but bring misery are common place. All of these are common place on day time TV too. Shows like Loose Women epitomise the definition of 'covert sexism'.

I think it is almost taken now that it 'comes with your profession'. It is so deeply ingrained that women would make remarks like that without even thinking twice about it.

In saying that though, you should challenge it every time something like that is said - may actually make them think about what they are saying.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending