The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE English Literature Exams - 20th and 23rd May 2013 *OFFICAL THREAD*

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ammy97
I am doing it next week, I don't know - I just never know what to write

I did conflict, but all I can say is do a lot of one word analysis. And talk about structure form and language, all there of them.
I posted this on another thread- I found this video on YouTube which I highly recommend you watch if you're doing Of Mice and Men! It goes through various A/A* techniques you should use and the advice given is not obvious and very useful :biggrin:
[video="youtube;D-bD2r_S8hM"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-bD2r_S8hM[/video]
If you are doing a play for the first section (crucible in my case) is talking about the actors movement and the way they say things more important than what they say if you get my drift? I'm worried I'll forget to mention stage directions
Original post by NinjaPandaa
If you are doing a play for the first section (crucible in my case) is talking about the actors movement and the way they say things more important than what they say if you get my drift? I'm worried I'll forget to mention stage directions

I'm also doing the Crucible :smile:

So do we have to mention stage directions in the play to access the higher grades?
What do you guys think will come up in AIC, i suspect either eric or arthur birling as they haven't come up before.
Original post by BP_Tranquility
I'm also doing the Crucible :smile:

So do we have to mention stage directions in the play to access the higher grades?

I think you have to as when I've read examiner's reports they always say the best candidates are the ones who have an awareness of the audience which implies you understand the movement and the way things are said

Personally I think the stage directions are the most telling bit of the play for me, mainly as I dont understand a word of it

Erg I hate the crucible
Reply 186
Is there is specific order to answer the questions or can I answer the OMAM questions first and then the AIC?
I'm sitting my English Literature GCSE soon with WJEC, I was wondering when you are comparing unseen poetry can you break it down bit by bit like talk about the structure of one and then the other and then make a comparing or point out the contrast between them, or do you have to link things such and language and link back to meaning of the poem? Instead of going through it one by one,like structure, meaning, Imagery, Language and effect on reader...? Any help would be much appreciated!
Exam for prose is on Monday!!

I'm doing The Woman in Black and Of Mice and Men. I just wanted to ask a question: for Of Mice and Men I'm not sure if I'm writing enough or not. My paragraphs are usually really detailed (which is better than doing loads of not-detailed ones) but would it be enough to write three paragraphs for part A and then two for part B? Or should you balance it out more and do three for each? I probably could, but I'd be rushing a lot more, so I don't know... If I added one onto the end that wasn't as good, would they penalize me because overall there would be a lack of consistency? (By the way 5 paragraphs for me is about 2 and a quarter A4 pages, to give you a better idea of the amount.)
What is most likely to come up in inspector calls or of mice and men?

Also does anyone know how we are marked on this, whats a01 a02 on this exam?
So nervous don't even know half the characters in the books and the exams on Monday 😭

Posted from TSR Mobile
Doing relationships and purple hibiscus and the crucible :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi:smile:
im doing Animal Farm too. I really dont like it. I have so many notes on characters, themes, chapters and I just dont know where to start. anybody got any advice? whats the most important stuff to know? ive done some past paper questions and I'm doing okay, but i find it quite hard to think of 'perceptive points'
thanks.
Reply 192
Original post by Dougieowner
Exam for prose is on Monday!!

I'm doing The Woman in Black and Of Mice and Men. I just wanted to ask a question: for Of Mice and Men I'm not sure if I'm writing enough or not. My paragraphs are usually really detailed (which is better than doing loads of not-detailed ones) but would it be enough to write three paragraphs for part A and then two for part B? Or should you balance it out more and do three for each? I probably could, but I'd be rushing a lot more, so I don't know... If I added one onto the end that wasn't as good, would they penalize me because overall there would be a lack of consistency? (By the way 5 paragraphs for me is about 2 and a quarter A4 pages, to give you a better idea of the amount.)

I'm doing the same books as you, how are you preparing?

I would say that quality is better than quantity and you should try not to ramble on too much as once you've got your point across you've got the marks and any more detail is just wasting time. If you're actually building on your point e.g. Aunt Clara is lonely because of Lennie - She is lonely because she is a spinster (too old for marrying age and never married when young) -[then] This implies the views on women were different in the 1930s blah blah blah. That way you are showing you're an intelligent student and you're getting into the A/A* region. When you say your paragraphs are big, make sure they're filled with lots of content and intelligent thoughts rather than the same general ideas.
CAN SOMEONE PLEASE GIVE ME NOTES ON THE CRUCIBLE BEFORE I EXPLODE. We had barely any lessons on it so I'm really lacking in notes.

PLEASE
PLEASE
PLEASE :nothing:
Getrevising.com

Posted from TSR Mobile
is anyone doing inspector calls and heroes in may 23rd?
Original post by grammar12
Pm me your email address and I will TRY to get round to it, no promises though!

Would you be able to do me?
My school hardly gave notes and I've got nothing to revise from ;'(

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by prettyprinces
is anyone doing inspector calls and heroes in may 23rd?

Inspector calls yes, heroes no

Posted from TSR Mobile
yes, An Inspector Calls and OMAN
Has anyone got past exam questions on An Inspector Calls and OMAN??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending