The Student Room Group

Unofficial AQA Biology Unit 3 GCSE NEW SPEC Mark Scheme

Scroll to see replies

Also, there was another part to question 7. In between the two 3 markers there was a one marker asking you to explain why the blood glucose continued to drop after the meal and continued to drop beyond the 'normal' blood glucose level.
Answer: Glucose is used up in aerobic respiration to release energy for the cells
what do people think 47 equates to in terms of UMS.. roughly?
Original post by sammann123
Also, there was another part to question 7. In between the two 3 markers there was a one marker asking you to explain why the blood glucose continued to drop after the meal and continued to drop beyond the 'normal' blood glucose level.
Answer: Glucose is used up in aerobic respiration to release energy for the cells

yeah i got that as well :smile:
Original post by HarryRiley88
Maybe, depends on how lenient the mark scheme is because you are right, one of them has more oxyhaemoglobin than the other but the other has NO oxyhaemoglobin in it so I'm not to sure

I said one has oxyhaemoglobin and the other has haemoglobin?
don't think that is correct :/
Original post by Captain Anonymous
yeah i got that as well :smile:

Needs to be added to the mark scheme :smile:
Original post by Captain Anonymous
don't think that is correct :/

What isn't correct?
ooh, there was a 4 mark question on:
Why is water taken up by osmosis in the plant and why are ions taken up by active transport (4 marks)
Answer:
Higher conc of water in soil than in root, osmosis works along a conc gradient so can be used to transport water in this case.
Higher conc of ions in roots, (therefore no diffusion as diffusion only works along conc gradient), instead active transport is needed as active transport can work against a conc gradient.
Reply 148
ooh, there was a 4 mark question on:
Why is water taken up by osmosis in the plant and why are ions taken up by active transport (4 marks)
Answer:
Higher conc of water in soil than in root, osmosis works along a conc gradient so can be used to transport water in this case.
Higher conc of ions in roots, (therefore no diffusion as diffusion only works along conc gradient), instead active transport is needed as active transport can work against a conc gradient.

There is this question, and the one about maintain body temperature. Also the one marker about glucose use by cells. There is still 6 other marks unaccounted for?
Original post by Cxxkie
There is this question, and the one about maintain body temperature. Also the one marker about glucose use by cells. There is still 6 other marks unaccounted for?

I remember looking back through the paper and seeing that q 1 was out of 12 marks, so either we've missed a load from there or the order on the current mark scheme is a little dodgy
Reply 150
I remember looking back through the paper and seeing that q 1 was out of 12 marks, so either we've missed a load from there or the order on the current mark scheme is a little dodgy

I remember something next to it, can't remember what though?
Q1- was the 4 marker on the heart, 4 marks about stents and 4 marks about blood vessels in the lungs. 12
Q2- 3 marker about cardiac cycle, 3 marker about rib cage, 2 marks about describing difference between photo, 2 marks for adv and disadvantages of modern ventilators. 10
Q3-2 marks about food chain. 6 marks about farming. 8
Q4- 2 marks for maths question, 2 for explanation, 4 for differences in transport in root, 3 for transpiration stream. 11
Q5- 1+4 marks for tadpoles. 5 marks
Q6- 4 marks for body temperature, 3 marks for athlete humid stuff. 7 marks
Q7- 3 marks about graph 1 and 1+3 marks about graph 2. 7

Makes 60 In total
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Cxxkie
I remember something next to it, can't remember what though?

Like I'm fairly sure that the diagram of the heart, the question about the stent and coronary artery and the question about the lungs; arteries capillaries and veins were all part of question one, and then the artificial breathing aids were part of question two.
Reply 153
Original post by jakjak158
Q1- was the 4 marker on the heart, 4 marks about stents and 4 marks about blood vessels in the lungs. 12
Q2- 3 marker about cardiac cycle, 3 marker about rib cage, 2 marks about describing difference between photo, 2 marks for adv and disadvantages of modern ventilators. 10
Q4- 2 marks for maths question, 2 for explanation, 4 for differences in transport in root, 3 for transpiration stream. 11
Q7- 2 marks about graph 1 and 1+2 marks about graph 2. 5

Makes 60 in total.

Are you sure? I thought Q7 was worth 3, 1, 2. And Q1 was 4, 4, 3 I reckon.
Original post by jakjak158
Q7- 2 marks about graph 1 and 1+2 marks about graph 2. 5

Makes 60 in total.

very close, only thing is i'm sure that question 7 was out of 7, because each graph question was definitely 3 marks
Original post by shan2097

No the last bit on q1 below the lung graph was a 1 marker about differences in blood composition, and Ive changed q7 I think you're right about that- still 1 mark missing though
Original post by shan2097

Okay i've checked and the totals only add up to 58, im pretty sure that there were 7 marks on the last question as previously explained, with those two marks the total goes up to 60 and im pretty sure thats right
very close, only thing is i'm sure that question 7 was out of 7, because each graph question was definitely 3 marks

Yeah I think you're right- I've changed it.

I put Pancreas has detected high glucose level so Insulin was released.
reckon 49 is good for an A*?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending