The Student Room Group

Ocr geography a2 f764 and f763 2013 june

just starting a thread on this for help and questions on the paper....

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
got any questions you need help on?
Reply 2
Original post by dilip007
got any questions you need help on?

yesss, what other factors other than economic development determine an impact of an earth hazard?

poulation and resources.. what could come up for population

and i also do climatic and was wondering about global warming and what potential questions could be
Reply 3
Original post by chessjohnston
yesss, what other factors other than economic development determine an impact of an earth hazard?

poulation and resources.. what could come up for population

and i also do climatic and was wondering about global warming and what potential questions could be

the factoring determine the impact of earth hazards would be economic such as the housing type and the materials used to build the housing, infrastructure quality etc and if its built according to strict rules and reguluations

there are also many other factors such as physical factors eg for landslides - the geology,slope angle, the amount of vegetation etc it depends on which earth hazard your going to write about as in earthquakes it may be things such as the focus and epicentre of the earthquake and if the focus is shallow or deep.

another factor would be social factors such as population density, the population amount and the preparedness of the population of earth hazards

you also get factors such as MEDC VS LEDC

another factor would be urban areas vs rural areas

you could also talk about human factors for example for landslides - undercutting taking place on the slope or deforestation and uncontrolled and unplanned development without doing impact studies

for population and resources a varity of questions may come up such as managment of population growth/decline or questions on resources such as how to manage resources at a sustainable scale, population and resources are quite broad therefore it will be hard predicting questions.
Reply 4
I'm doing Earth hazards/ecosystems/Population and resources/Development and Inequalities. Was just wondering what the perfect structure to a 10 mark question is?
Reply 5
Original post by msamra1
I'm doing Earth hazards/ecosystems/Population and resources/Development and Inequalities. Was just wondering what the perfect structure to a 10 mark question is?

i structure mines by clearly highlighting the geographical issue in the first paragraph

i then write another two/three paragraphs on a management strategy of that issue and constantly relate it back to the geographical issue
Original post by msamra1

You learnt two from each?

My class did; earth hazards, climatic hzards and globalisation. Last year we only learnt 3 topics on each of the papers !

At least this year we get a choice of essay questions even if we only did one economic topic.
Original post by msamra1

Remember to be specific in the introduction about what the actual geographical issue is. The first example that comes to mind is the mass movements 10 marker they had one year. State the obvious that the landslide blocked the road but say the consequences of this, ie people might not be able to get food or medical help if that is the only route to the nearest town, SO people may starve or become seriously ill and die, because that's the actual issue. If they have another way to get food/medicine then it's not an issue that there's been a landslide.

Then write about two/three strategies, making sure they are relevant to and you link them to the example.

Then write a conclusion suggesting which might be the most appropriate and why ie is it the cheapest solution (in a poor area, so it's all they can do) or is it the most effective strategy (if the area is affluent and can afford it). Or perhaps a combination of 2-3 strategies would be best ??
Reply 8
This is good just nervous for the essay more than the 10 marker...

do you get marked down if you put loads of strategies thats what i tend to do? (obviously saying if they are appropriate as i go along)

so much to learn. What case studies are people using for earthquakes/volcanoes?
Reply 9
Original post by dilip007

another factor would be urban areas vs rural areas

you could also talk about human factors for example for landslides - undercutting taking place on the slope or deforestation and uncontrolled and unplanned development without doing impact studies

What can you say about urban vs rural?

and

for human factors , am i right in saying you can talk about flooding aswell as landslides?

Thankssssss
Original post by chessjohnston

do you get marked down if you put loads of strategies thats what i tend to do? (obviously saying if they are appropriate as i go along)

Remember, it's only 10 marks, whichis about a page of writing. If you write about more than 3 strategies, you won't have the space or time to describe them in enough detail to make it clear how the strategy would work. And thats where marks come from. If after the intro, you just list various coastal flooding defenses you wouldn't get marks. But if you explained what 2-3 kinds of coastal defenses are and how they work, then you would.
Reply 11
Original post by msamra1

we were told to just remember IRSSS for the 10 markers, that is -
I=issue
R=resource (use a fact or figure from the resource to back-up your chosen issue)
S=strategy
S=strategy
S=strategy
if you have three detailed ones with case study knowledge youre fine :smile: and you can use this format for a quick plan as well.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 12
Thanks for the help! In our class we learned 2 for environmental and 3 for economic but I've decided just to learn 2 for economic. Are you guys using PEEL for your paragraphs in your 30 markers? (Point Evidence Evaluate Link back to question)
Is it just me or does there seem to be way more content for earth and climatic hazards than globalisation ? is this the case for all environmental vs economic topics ??

Original post by msamra1
Thanks for the help! In our class we learned 2 for environmental and 3 for economic but I've decided just to learn 2 for economic. Are you guys using PEEL for your paragraphs in your 30 markers? (Point Evidence Evaluate Link back to question)

How the heck did you have time to go over all that since september? Like I said, we've done 3 topics ! And we only finished them near the end of April. Then we did most of the work for the other paper although we have done bits and pieces for it throughout the year. And then last week we had an hour of revision for each of the topics on this main paper.

Original post by zirai
we were told to just remember IRSSS for the 10 markers, that is -
I=issue
R=resource (use a fact or figure from the resource to back-up your chosen issue)
S=strategy
S=strategy
S=strategy

Then you'll struggle to get full marks if you do what you suggest.

Even for ten markers, at a2 you need to write a conclusion. It only needs to be a couple of lines saying which strategy would be most appropriate and why. Or if some kind of combination of all of them/ two of them would be best. THIS IS WHAT MY TEACHER HAS TOLD ME TO DO, I'M NOT JUST MAKING IT UP FROM THIN AIR !
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by anony.mouse

Even for ten markers, at a2 you need to write a conclusion. It only needs to be a couple of lines saying which strategy would be most appropriate and why. Or if some kind of combination of all of them/ two of them would be best.

you dont need a conclusion for the 10 markers because you can actually do them in bullet points and it doesnt say anything in the markscheme about one either.
this is what it says for level three - 'Substantial knowledge and authoritative understanding of an appropriate issue, using clear evidence from the resource. Clear application of relevant knowledge and understanding to the question set.
Clear structure and organisation. Communication is clear with maps, diagrams, and statistics, if appropriate. Accurate use of geographical terms.'
whereas in the essays it does specify that you need a conclusion to get all 4 marks in AO3.
Original post by zirai
you dont need a conclusion for the 10 markers because you can actually do them in bullet points and it doesnt say anything in the markscheme about one either.
this is what it says for level three - 'Substantial knowledge and authoritative understanding of an appropriate issue, using clear evidence from the resource. Clear application of relevant knowledge and understanding to the question set.
Clear structure and organisation.
Communication is clear with maps, diagrams, and statistics, if appropriate. Accurate use of geographical terms.'
whereas in the essays it does specify that you need a conclusion to get all 4 marks in AO3.

And my teacher who marks papers takes that to mean that a brief conclusion is needed to gain full marks as that is part of the structure of any question from alomst any subject, worth 10 marks or more. He says it only needs to be a line or two, explaining which strategy is best and why. Else your answer just suddenly ends.

I got 9/10 on one of the ten markers. He said I would have gotten 10 if I had just put one more sentence in at the end to round it up, saying which strategy would be most appropriate.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 16
And my teacher who marks papers takes that to mean that a brief conclusion is needed to gain full marks as that is part of the structure of any question from alomst any subject, worth 10 marks or more. He says it only needs to be a line or two, explaining which strategy is best and why. Else your answer just suddenly ends.

well i guess it depends on individual markers because both of mine said it wasnt necessary especially since youre just listing strategies and not actually evaluating anything
Original post by zirai
well i guess it depends on individual markers because both of mine said it wasnt necessary especially since youre just listing strategies and not actually evaluating anything

True, but you're stating appropriate strategies. And it has always been the case that we have to mention at least two. So to then round up and say which is most appropriate for whatever reason, brings it all together. One sentence doesn't really count as evaluating them. If it was a question about evaluating strategies then a couple of sentences should be on outline and the majority of it on evaluating their costs/benefits.

THIS IS WHAT MY TEACHER HAS TOLD ME TO DO ! I'M NOT MAKING IT UP OFF THE TOP OF MY HEAD
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 18
Any ideas what potentially could come up for earth and climatic? my teacher mentioned mass ...
Reply 19
Is it just me or does there seem to be way more content for earth and climatic hazards than globalisation ? is this the case for all environmental vs economic topics ??

How the heck did you have time to go over all that since september? Like I said, we've done 3 topics ! And we only finished them near the end of April. Then we did most of the work for the other paper although we have done bits and pieces for it throughout the year. And then last week we had an hour of revision for each of the topics on this main paper.

Even for ten markers, at a2 you need to write a conclusion. It only needs to be a couple of lines saying which strategy would be most appropriate and why. Or if some kind of combination of all of them/ two of them would be best.

our teachers were awful we basically had to go home and do all of the work, in lesson they didn't have any power points we were sent to a computer room to research our case studies

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending