The Student Room Group

Giving blood - Think about it!

Hey guys, I gave blood for the first time yesterday and wanted to share my experience and hopefully convince some people to give it a go.

I made the decision to start giving blood after a presentation in college and finding out you only had to be 17 to start giving blood. It was quite simple, i just give my name and address and was then contacted to book an appointment at my local centre which is only about 5 minutes away.

I turned up and tbh i was quite nervous (I've never been a big fan of needles) but the nurses were great and after a few quick questions and some reassurances i was on the bed getting ready to have a needle in my arm! I was surprised at how minimal the pain was, just a tiny pinch for a fraction of a second, and that's the only bit of uncomfort about the process. I then just lay back and relaxed for about 10 minutes while the blood was drained, i actually felt quite chilled! Then a nurse just took the needle out, put a dressing on and that was it, I wasn't lightheaded or dizzy and after a quick drink and a biscuit was ready to go home.

It had no impact on what i could do for the rest of the night and i felt completely normal and will be going back again in august!

I'd definitely recommend it to anyone, i was there for no longer than an hour, and the small second of discomfort is more than worth it for the satisfaction of knowing i could of saved someone's life. If anyone has any questions or concerns i'd be more than happy to answer them!

Sam

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Samwah
Hey guys, I gave blood for the first time yesterday and wanted to share my experience and hopefully convince some people to give it a go.

I made the decision to start giving blood after a presentation in college and finding out you only had to be 17 to start giving blood. It was quite simple, i just give my name and address and was then contacted to book an appointment at my local centre which is only about 5 minutes away.

I turned up and tbh i was quite nervous (I've never been a big fan of needles) but the nurses were great and after a few quick questions and some reassurances i was on the bed getting ready to have a needle in my arm! I was surprised at how minimal the pain was, just a tiny pinch for a fraction of a second, and that's the only bit of uncomfort about the process. I then just lay back and relaxed for about 10 minutes while the blood was drained, i actually felt quite chilled! Then a nurse just took the needle out, put a dressing on and that was it, I wasn't lightheaded or dizzy and after a quick drink and a biscuit was ready to go home.

It had no impact on what i could do for the rest of the night and i felt completely normal and will be going back again in august!

I'd definitely recommend it to anyone, i was there for no longer than an hour, and the small second of discomfort is more than worth it for the satisfaction of knowing i could of saved someone's life. If anyone has any questions or concerns i'd be more than happy to answer them!

Sam

I literally just registered to be a blood donor, I'm quite nervous because I absolutely hate needles but I don't know what blood type I am.. will I have to find that out before I go or do they do that? :/ I don't wanna show up and then not have a clue about anything! Do you get like a wee book thing that they put slips in of when you donate?
Really should have read up on it before I put my name down!
Original post by KerryF94
I literally just registered to be a blood donor, I'm quite nervous because I absolutely hate needles but I don't know what blood type I am.. will I have to find that out before I go or do they do that? :/ I don't wanna show up and then not have a clue about anything! Do you get like a wee book thing that they put slips in of when you donate?
Really should have read up on it before I put my name down!

I've been a blood donor since I turned 17 (4 years ago). It doesn't matter if you don't know your blood type, they'll tell you after your donation (maybe a few weeks) - they check it in all the screening tests, I think.

There are no books, the records are all online :smile:

Don't worry about not knowing anything, no-one does when they start! It's their job to be nice to you as you're donating your time and blood :smile:
Reply 3
ahh don't worry about it! I hate, or thought I hated needles before i went but now it seems like nothing. I refused to look at my arm at any point while the needle was in though that just freaks me out haha, but the nurses are all very experienced and i hardly even felt it go in and i think my fear is cured tbh! you don't need to know your blood type, I had and still have no idea of mine! I think they will contact me soon telling me what group I am, or will tell me next time. All you need to know when you go is your personal information, and then you just have to fill out some paperwork with some simple yes no questions about whether you've been abroad recently, or had vaccinations or been in contact with someone with a serious illness, nothing to worry about really.
I didn't get a book, just a little note with when my next appointment is, I think they keep a record of how much you've given online now.
I hope you go through with it! it's so worth it
Reply 4
Good on you :smile: I'm interested in giving blood, I might do it at the end of the year. Its ridiculous how easy it is to give blood for most people who can, it must be really satisfying. I've registered to become an organ donor, so if I were to die anytime soon - my body has the potential of helping someone in some way.
Reply 5
Original post by Topaz_eyes
I've been a blood donor since I turned 17 (4 years ago). It doesn't matter if you don't know your blood type, they'll tell you after your donation (maybe a few weeks) - they check it in all the screening tests, I think.

There are no books, the records are all online :smile:

Don't worry about not knowing anything, no-one does when they start! It's their job to be nice to you as you're donating your time and blood :smile:

I think in Northern Ireland there is a wee book thing because both my mum and dad have one and then when youve done like 25 you get a silver slip and then when youve done 50 you get a gold slip or something like that :smile:
Reply 6
--
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7
Unfortunately due to my sexual orientation, I am prohibited from giving blood. Actually, the ban is men who have had sex with men within the last 12 months. This includes even if it is protected sex or in a monogamous relationship.

Otherwise I would.
Reply 8
I always try registering online but they never get back to me. Plus I'm always in the wrong place when its time to give blood, such as being at home when they are taking it at uni or vice versa. Would love to give blood but ah well, will have to wait.
I've donated as often as I can since I was 17. (Have my regular donor blue card thing now and will go up to bronze soon.) At first I didn't want to because I hate hate needles - but then I thought - if I was sick and needed blood, and the doctor said 'sorry, the population has a collective fear of needles, you're gonna die' I'd wonder why the population didn't just get over it. So I did, and even though I cry every time, I still do it because I know it's important. My mum and one of my best friends would both be dead without blood donors - it's only an hour out of your day, but it really can save someone's life. Plus, free biscuits.

It's easy enough to do, you go to blood.co.uk, search for local sesssions, tell them what time you want and they email you with an appointment. Then you show up, they give you a finger prick test to check your blood's haemoglobin levels (this is quite fun to watch), give you a whole pint of water - you can't be dehydrated - then lie down on a bench and they attach the donor bag to you. You can bring someone with you for moral support if you want, and they don't mind you listening to your iPod or playing on your phone while the donation goes on.

There are some circumstances under which you can't give blood though - like if you're on certain medications or have recently had a tattoo - so it's worth checking before you book an appointment. They have a checker thing on blood.co.uk
Reply 10
I tried to register then got told that as I'm underweight and have low blood pressure I couldn't give blood as it's too risky :frown: As soon as I can I will though, despite a needle phobia :P
Reply 11
Original post by rjm91
Unfortunately due to my sexual orientation, I am prohibited from giving blood. Actually, the ban is men who have had sex with men within the last 12 months. This includes even if it is protected sex or in a monogamous relationship.

Otherwise I would.

I always find that weird when i read it, i know why it's a reason but it seems outdated now due to sti's particularly HIV being just as big a problem in the hetrosexual community
Reply 12
Original post by Samwah

Sam

Thanks for sharing.
Reply 13
It's all about the free biscuits
Reply 14
I've been giving blood since I was 17 - I have one of the rarest blood types so I always feel good after it. The jam doughnuts help too :biggrin:
Original post by rjm91

Otherwise I would.

Really? :O I never heard of that.

On another note, I would love to give blood but I was refused because I am anemic, which is annoying. :/

I'm not scared of needles at all ;P
Reply 16
Original post by PreppyNinja
Really? :O I never heard of that.

On another note, I would love to give blood but I was refused because I am anemic, which is annoying. :/

I'm not scared of needles at all ;P

"Previously, men who had ever had oral or anal sex with another man, even if a condom was used, were permanently excluded from blood donation in the UK. The change means that only men who have had anal or oral sex with another man in the past 12 months, with or without a condom, are asked not to donate blood. Men whose last sexual contact with another man was more than 12 months ago are eligible to donate, subject to meeting the other donor selection criteria."

Shocking isn't it?!

http://www.blood.co.uk/can-i-give-blood/exclusion/
Original post by CathyS
I tried to register then got told that as I'm underweight and have low blood pressure I couldn't give blood as it's too risky :frown: As soon as I can I will though, despite a needle phobia :P

Apparently, some people who can't give blood can give platelets.
Reply 18
Original post by OU Student
Apparently, some people who can't give blood can give platelets.

I looked into giving platelets, but there's such a small amount of people who actually fit the criteria to give.
Can't do it because insulin dependent. Although I doubt I'd do it if I wasn't since just the sight of the blood donor vans make me feel nauseous. I'm okay with injecting myself on my tummy and my legs but needles near the insides of my arms freaks me out.

Quick Reply

Latest