The Student Room Group

Is Cheating on Your Partner Wrong?

Just a general discussion: I have been with guys (I am a guy) who have been married to both men and women who have been in a relationship and also married. And tbh, there's something about married men that I like, so what? sue me.

I don't think it's wrong (on my part) because I am not breaking the relationship, the cheater is since he has slept with other men too.

I have always been faithful in a relationship btw. And don't spin the moral wheel saying "how would you feel if you got cheated on?" etc. All the men I have been with, their partners don't know and you know what they say: what you don't know, won't hurt you.

I want to know whether you have been with someone who has been in a relationship and they have cheated on their partner with you and how this made you feel. (Regardless if your heterosexual, homosexual or bisexual).

What's your general opinion on cheating? #NoRegrets
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

If my boyfriend cheated on me, it would completely shatter my trust for him. So cheating is a no go area for me.
Reply 2
Of course it's wrong.

If it was an open relationship, the circumstances of the relationship would change as both partners consent to their other half having other relationships or sexual intercourse. Then it wouldn't be called cheating as no-one gets hurt.

But if the OH doesn't know about it, of course it's cheating, deceitful and wrong.

Just because you're not the one in the relationship or the married man, you should think about how the wife would feel.
It's wrong. End of. No further room for debate
Original post by Cool_JordH
Just a general discussion: I have been with guys (I am a guy) who have been married to both men and women who have been in a relationship and also married. And tbh, there's something about married men that I like, so what? sue me.

I don't think it's wrong (on my part) because I am not breaking the relationship, the cheater is since he has slept with other men too.

I have always been faithful in a relationship btw. And don't spin the moral wheel saying "how would you feel if you got cheated on?" etc. All the men I have been with, their partners don't know and you know what they say: what you don't know, won't hurt you.

I want to know whether you have been with someone who has been in a relationship and they have cheated on their partner with you and how this made you feel. (Regardless if your heterosexual, homosexual or bisexual).

What's your general opinion on cheating? #NoRegrets

cheating is okay, its a good thing
Reply 5
Original post by study beats
cheating is okay, its a good thing

Why? It's wrong.
Original post by OU Student
Why? It's wrong.

no, its ok to cheat....i mean the other person will never find out right? u get to have more than one girlfriend and get to enjoy your life....
Reply 7
Original post by study beats
no, its ok to cheat....i mean the other person will never find out right? u get to have more than one girlfriend and get to enjoy your life....

I assume you'd be saying the same if you were the one being cheated on? I doubt it.
It's wrong...that is all.
Reply 9
Amusing that this is actually a debate!
I assume you'd be saying the same if you were the one being cheated on? I doubt it.

no, if the girl tried doing she get slapped
If you have sex with a married man, then the married man is in a morally reprehensible position - he is breaking the terms of his relationship (implicit or explicit).

Since you have not entered in to any agreement with the man's partner, you are not in any position of trust with that person, and are not breaching terms of your relationship with them. As such I can't logically find you at fault.

If someone were to find you at moral fault, that is because they must assume an implied pervasive trust or mutual respect between all people.
Reply 12
Cheating, even if the other person doesn't find out about it, is definitely wrong. It's a form of lying - you let a person believe that they're in a committed, exclusive relationship when they're in nothing of the sort. It's also deeply selfish and cowardly - you get all the perks of the committed relationship (as long as the poor sucker doesn't find out) while getting the benefits of being single, but running none of the risks of loneliness that go with it.

But enabling a cheater? I dunno. You're right in saying that it's the person who is cheating that is the one who's doing the betraying, and in some ways, I'd consider you almost as much a victim of the cheater as the one who doesn't know about it. Perhaps you should examine why you are attracted to such unpleasant people. Getting used by such scummers can't be good for your self-esteem.
I've nearly done it. I've thought about it. But I couldn't because never mind how my girlfriend would feel, I wouldn't be able to forgive myself. I would shatter inside if I found out my girlfriend had cheated on me. And for all I know she has or will do one day. But you know what, if she comes back to me maybe it was a good thing she got it out of her system. As long as I never ever know I would be a fool to convince myself she had when I had no real idea. If she chose not to tell me it'd be for a good reason, I'd like to think.

Tl;dr - I don't think I could do it. But if she did I just wouldn't want to know about it. Ever.

Also, I hate people that get with people who they know full well are in a relationship. It's disgustingly disrespectful to that person's other half. Makes me really angry.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
All the blame lies with the person in the relationship.
Reply 15
I have never slept with someone in a relationship where I knew they were involved beforehand (I have found out afterwards before though).

One time, I got approached by a bloke and he told me that the girl I had slept with was his girlfriend so I agreed to meet him and I explained that I hadn't known anything and luckily, he was actually became pretty reasonable and didn't try and spark me or anything but to be honest, even though I hadn't knowingly done anything wrong - I still felt like a bit of a prick. If had have knowingly done it - I would have felt like a total prick; even though I didn't know the guy - it just wouldn't have felt right.

To me, it is a bit like saying it is alright to steal off someone if you don't know them. It still isn't fair - you are still getting involved in someone else's business where you are best off just keeping out of it.
(edited 10 years ago)
I have a boyfriend and I would NEVER cheat on him, he means an awful lot to me, and if he cheated on me I would be gutted.
Oh and I have been cheated on in the past and man it hurts :frown:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by OMGWTFBBQ
All the blame lies with the person in the relationship.

Why? if you go out with someone who you know is in a relationship, that makes you just as bad as them.
Why? if you go out with someone who you know is in a relationship, that makes you just as bad as them.

Is buying stolen goods from a market as bad as stealing them?

Obviously not.

Is sleeping with an adulterer as bad as cheating?

Again, no.

You have not entered into and reneged on a commitment - they have. You are not to blame. They are, entirely.

EDIT:

In fact, a better comparison would be

"Is buying (decriminalised) drugs from a dealer as bad as dealing?"

As, unlike handling stolen goods, decriminalised drugs are not illegal.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending