The Student Room Group

AS-Level English Literature OCR Exam

Scroll to see replies

Does anyone know the questions which came up on the January 2013 paper?
I'm doing Jane Eyre and Yeats
My teacher says that Easter 1916 is very likely to come up in the exam
Reply 121
Original post by stardust_gal

Broken Dreams was the poem that came up for Yeats in the Jan 2013 paper - think the question was either about aging or memories. Not sure about Jane Eyre as I'm doing Frankenstein. I hope your teacher is right :biggrin:
Reply 122
Original post by stardust_gal

Jane Eye: a) is Rochester both master and pupil of Jane.
b) something on 'sensational effects'

Yeats: Broken Dreams
Reply 123
Original post by ArtisticFlair
Does anyone know how to incorporate AO3 into the novel essay? Do you have to include critical views - only the examiner report says that this is a detriment if the quotes are not really relevant. What about looking at how a contemporary/modern reader would respond? Would this suffice?

Also, what does it mean by an argument would be enough to fulfill AO3?

And in terms of number of quotes, I'm worried... what if I learn loads of quotes but they aren't really relevant/helpful in answering the question!

Generally for A03 you just have to show the examiner that your not narrow minded and that there's more than one way to look at the novel for example victor more of a monster or victor more human, just support the idea that he could be either and the creatures actions justified? Or does he deserve all the misery he's faced and how other people read the novel like early readers said he was punished cause he usurped God, Feminist readers believed it was because he usurped the reproductive power of women xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Piguy
46/60 for a B then if you got 30 in coursework - so 23/30 for each essay

http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/16472-unit-level-raw-mark-grade-boundaries-june-2012.pdf

Thanks very much! Not too hard :tongue: That is providing my c/w mark is accurate. I got 20/30 on my mock on both so it's only a few more marks.
Reply 125
Hi i'm doing Frankenstein and Edward Thomas in the exam.

I know that creators and creation, setting and three narrators have come up as questions for Frankenstein previously.

I know 'Tears' was the focus poem for Edward Thomas in the June 2012 with the theme of strong emotions, but I cannot find the question for Edward Thomas from the January 2013 paper anywhere. Does anyone know please?

Also what are your predictions for the questions? Frankenstein and Edward Thomas - which poem?!
Reply 126
Also say you were to learn 5/10 quotes for each theme, what would you say the main themes are for Frankenstein?
Reply 127
Original post by JessLB
Hi i'm doing Frankenstein and Edward Thomas in the exam.

I know that creators and creation, setting and three narrators have come up as questions for Frankenstein previously.

I know 'Tears' was the focus poem for Edward Thomas in the June 2012 with the theme of strong emotions, but I cannot find the question for Edward Thomas from the January 2013 paper anywhere. Does anyone know please?

Also what are your predictions for the questions? Frankenstein and Edward Thomas - which poem?!

For Frankenstein seems as though past questions have been mainly based on male characters & science / usurping God... maybe more direct Gothic or feminine questions this year
e.g some questions teachers came up with that might come up:

'Tough on crime, tough on causes of crime' - is this true of frankenstein?
'Gothic Literature is primarily engaged with the anxieties of the age that produced it', true of frankenstein?

How far do you agree with statement:
'Mary Shelley writes better men than women'
'The portrayal of women is disappointing because it reinforces female stereotypes'... etc.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 128
Original post by JessLB
Also say you were to learn 5/10 quotes for each theme, what would you say the main themes are for Frankenstein?

I'd say four main ones, though they obviously interlink:

1) Pro-Feminine / Against Victorian Society - Shelley's portrayal of women vs men. Paradise Lost link - Monster is Eve.

2) Against Science - is Frankenstein wrong for usurping God; Intertextuality with Ancient Mariner

3) Against Religion / God - Frankenstein parallels with Paradise Lost... is monster justified for his vengeance against creator like Adam.

4) Monstrosity, who is the true monster? Psychological vs Physical terror, damn Freud etc.
(edited 10 years ago)
How many quotes should I learn (doing Jane Eyre)?

5 per character/theme/setting?
Reply 130
Original post by Piguy
For Frankenstein seems as though past questions have been mainly based on male characters & science / usurping God... maybe more direct Gothic or feminine questions this year
e.g some questions teachers came up with that might come up:

'Tough on crime, tough on causes of crime' - is this true of frankenstein?
'Gothic Literature is primarily engaged with the anxieties of the age that produced it', true of frankenstein?

How far do you agree with statement:
'Mary Shelley writes better men than women'
'The portrayal of women is disappointing because it reinforces female stereotypes'... etc.

Thank you so much that is a great help!
Reply 131
Anyone else doing Edward Thomas or know what the question was for Edward Thomas in the January 2013 paper please?
Reply 132
Original post by Piguy
I'd say four main ones, though they obviously interlink:

1) Pro-Feminine / Against Victorian Society - Shelley's portrayal of women vs men. Paradise Lost link - Monster is Eve.

2) Against Science - is Frankenstein wrong for usurping God; Intertextuality with Ancient Mariner

3) Against Religion / God - Frankenstein parallels with Paradise Lost... is monster justified for his vengeance against creator like Adam.

4) Monstrosity, who is the true monster? Psychological vs Physical terror, damn Freud etc.

Thank you, i shall divide those four up into sub-themes and then get quotes for each. Thanks!
Reply 133
Original post by JessLB
Anyone else doing Edward Thomas or know what the question was for Edward Thomas in the January 2013 paper please?

I'm doing the same as you Edward Thomas and Frankenstein, I don't know the exact question, but I know the poem was The Sun Used To Shine,
What do you think will come up this year?
Reply 134
good luck for the exam on Friday everyone. I'm doing Jane Eyre and Yeats, any advice ?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by BC95
good luck for the exam tomorrow everyone. I'm doing Jane Eyre and Yeats, any advice ?

Oh my god, the exam's not tomorrow is it?! I thought it was on Friday!
Reply 136
Original post by yugiohtheawesome
Oh my god, the exam's not tomorrow is it?! I thought it was on Friday!

Its most certainly on friday:tongue:
Original post by sophie5
Its most certainly on friday:tongue:

(Breathes out) Thank the lord, I had a mini heart attack there :colone: So what poet and what novel are you doing for the exam? I'm doing Yeats and Dorian Gray. :biggrin:
Reply 138
(Breathes out) Thank the lord, I had a mini heart attack there :colone: So what poet and what novel are you doing for the exam? I'm doing Yeats and Dorian Gray. :biggrin:

Haha, did you actually?
Edward Thomas and Frankenstein
Reply 139

Same! I'm gonna post 15 page Dorian Gray notes in a bit after I finish them (themes, characters, preface, aphorisms, edition changes, critics) so look out for them! Going through the book all over again so it may take long :P

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending