The Student Room Group

AQA French A level

At the moment, I'm studying for French. I decided to make this in order to gather people studying French at AS or A2 to share tips, help others and become more confident in this subject :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hi, Is this next Tuesday? I'm doing AS French!!
Reply 2
Original post by aMBITIOUS :)
Hi, Is this next Tuesday? I'm doing AS French!!

Yeah, doing to same exam.
I'm doing the AS exam on tues! Finding it hard to revise listening... I would really like audio tapes of each of the different subtopics but there doesn't seem to be much about
Reply 4
Original post by sophieisamazing
I'm doing the AS exam on tues! Finding it hard to revise listening... I would really like audio tapes of each of the different subtopics but there doesn't seem to be much about

Why don't you listen to the past paper audio clips. For me, I listen to AdoFm once in a while when I'm not busy, to really get familiar with the sounds. I can honestly say that my accent has improved because of it.
Reply 5
Im scared for this exam!
Reply 6
Original post by Emily5678
Im scared for this exam!

Is there a particular thing you are scared about?
Reply 7
Hi Guy, I'm going to be putting up useful phrases later on, just to help with the writing.✌ If you got any personal things to ask about it you can send a personal message
Reply 8
Here it is:

For all sorts of reasons- pour de multiples raisons
Considering that- vu que
Given that- étant donné que
As a last resort- en dernier ressort
It is better to... Than to...- mieux vaut...que de..
It must be noted that- il est à noter que
The answer is not obvious- la réponse n'est pas évidente
That leads me to think that- cela me conduit à penser que
The fact remains that- toujours est-il que
It is unlikely that- il est peu probable que

Hope that was useful, let me know of things that you would want or add stuff for yourself.
Reply 9
Original post by Smarticus
Is there a particular thing you are scared about?

The listening, it's my weakest part
Reply 10
Original post by Emily5678
The listening, it's my weakest part

In my opinion, the best way to just be good at listening, I'm not perfect but the things that help is learning the structures 'j'ai Besoin de' venir+de+infinitive, learn the negations, tenses and try and find synonyms as they like to use that in the exam. Lastly, actually learn the topic specific vocabulary and how they sound.
Reply 11
In my opinion, the best way to just be good at listening, I'm not perfect but the things that help is learning the structures 'j'ai Besoin de' venir+de+infinitive, learn the negations, tenses and try and find synonyms as they like to use that in the exam. Lastly, actually learn the topic specific vocabulary and how they sound.

Thank you for your help
Here it is:

For all sorts of reasons- pour de multiples raisons
Considering that- vu que
Given that- étant donné que
As a last resort- en dernier ressort
It is better to... Than to...- mieux vaut...que de..
It must be noted that- il est à noter que
The answer is not obvious- la réponse n'est pas évidente
That leads me to think that- cela me conduit à penser que
The fact remains that- toujours est-il que
It is unlikely that- il est peu probable que

Hope that was useful, let me know of things that you would want or add stuff for yourself.

They are all followed by subjunctive right..? I haven't done much subjunctive, but when I use it it's normally after bien que :smile: or malgre ce que.. But awesome list :biggrin:
Reply 13
Original post by sophieisamazing
They are all followed by subjunctive right..? I haven't done much subjunctive, but when I use it it's normally after bien que :smile: or malgre ce que.. But awesome list :biggrin:

I'm not entirely sure but some of them so use subjunctive. I'll try and put subjunctive ones tomorrow after my exam hopefully
Hi ^_^
I'm doing the AS exam next Tuesday :s-smilie:

I really struggle with the essay writing part...I seem to spend too long on deciding which question to answer. After I've chosen a question to answer, I struggle to come up with ideas (particularly vocab) and I run out of things to say :'(

I'm trying to memorise essay structures at the moment.

Any advice/help for the essay writing would be greatly appreciated!
I'm doing the A2 exam on 14th June. We were always advised to do the essay question first then it's out of the way. If you leave the essay to the end it might be rushed, and the essay is worth more marks than the other sections so if you're in a situation where you're not going to get everything done in the time allocated, it's always better to rush the reading/listening than the essay. Of course, not having to rush any of it would be ideal, so make sure you've done a past paper in timed exam conditions before the exam, then you have an idea of how you're going to divide your time between sections.

For the essay, learn some essay phrases to get your marks up for complexity of language, and try to use synonyms to get your range of language marks up- for example, don't just repeat "beaucoup"- if you're using it in the context of something happening often, say "souvent" or "frequemment", and if you're using it in the context of there being lots of something, say "plein de" or "un grand nombre de". Try to get at least one subjunctive phrase in there to make the essay more sophisticated. Don't spend too long on the introduction, just briefly say what you're talking about and then get straight in there with your main body. Keep referring back to the title and don't use a lot of information that's not directly relevant to the title. It might help to quickly plan your ideas first to give your essay a structured feel.

You may or may not want to learn whole essays, but make sure you can come up with some ideas for things to say on each topic- maybe some for and against points or something. Remember that you'll have a choice of 3 essays (if you're doing AS) so hopefully one of them is going to suit you.

Check your essay for mistakes. Sometimes while I'm writing essays, I'll make some mistakes on quite simple grammar points, and when I look back at the essay I'll immediately know what I've done wrong. When I've finished my essay, my head is so full of essay that it can be hard to see where I've made mistakes, so do another section before proof reading your essay and the mistakes should jump out at you more easily that way.

I hope some of these tips help. Try not to worry about the exam too much and good luck! :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by dreadpiraterach
I'm doing the A2 exam on 14th June. We were always advised to do the essay question first then it's of the way. If you leave the essay to the end it might be rushed, and the essay is worth more marks than the other sections so if you're in a situation where you're not going to get everything done in the time allocated, it's always better to rush the reading/listening than the essay. Of course, not having to rush any of it would be ideal, so make sure you've done a past paper in timed exam conditions before the exam, then you have an idea of how you're going to divide your time between sections.

For the essay, learn some essay phrases to get your marks up for complexity of language, and try to use synonyms to get your range of language marks up- for example, don't just repeat "beaucoup"- if you're using it in the context of something happening often, say "souvent" or "frequemment", and if you're using it in the context of there being lots of something, say "plein de" or "un grand nombre de". Try to get at least one subjunctive phrase in there to make the essay more sophisticated. Don't spend too long on the introduction, just briefly say what you're talking about and then get straight in there with your main body. Keep referring back to the title and don't use a lot of information that's not directly relevant to the title. It might help to quickly plan your ideas first to give your essay a structured feel.

You may or may not want to learn whole essays, but make sure you can come up with some ideas for things to say on each topic- maybe some for and against points or something. Remember that you'll have a choice of 3 essays (if you're doing AS) so hopefully one of them is going to suit you.

Check your essay for mistakes. Sometimes while I'm writing essays, I'll make some mistakes on quite simple grammar points, and when I look back at the essay I'll immediately know what I've done wrong. When I've finished my essay, my head is so full of essay that it can be hard to see where I've made mistakes, so do another section before proof reading your essay and the mistakes should jump out at you more easily that way.

I hope some of these tips help. Try not to worry about the exam too much and good luck! :smile:

Thank you so much for this, it has been really helpful! Just a really quick question, I really struggle to write an introduction for the essay, even a little one, can you give me an example of an introduction to write?
Reply 17
Original post by thewayoftheninja
Hi ^_^
I'm doing the AS exam next Tuesday :s-smilie:

I really struggle with the essay writing part...I seem to spend too long on deciding which question to answer. After I've chosen a question to answer, I struggle to come up with ideas (particularly vocab) and I run out of things to say :'(

I'm trying to memorise essay structures at the moment.

Any advice/help for the essay writing would be greatly appreciated!

I actually discussed this with my French teacher today, I told her that I want to add all the vocab and she told me a tip that before I start the listening, make a quick 1 minute plan for all the essay questions and the one I am most comfortable of writing able- vocabulary wise- I should right about. So when it came to writing the actual exam, expand on the points you write about. I might post some useful phrases she told me to incorporate. Good luck to everyone on their exams

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
How I'm preparing for the writing is memorising good sentence starters, and I have written out a generic conclusion that I only have to fill out with whatever subject I'm writing about, I'm going to do the same for an introduction... I have also written out advantages and disadvantages for each sub top, so that it's pretty much just putting the pieces together when I do the exam :smile: good luck guys!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sandrabondaruk
How I'm preparing for the writing is memorising good sentence starters, and I have written out a generic conclusion that I only have to fill out with whatever subject I'm writing about, I'm going to do the same for an introduction... I have also written out advantages and disadvantages for each sub top, so that it's pretty much just putting the pieces together when I do the exam :smile: good luck guys!

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you don't mind..... would you like to share what you have written for introduction and conclusion... that is actually what I often struggle with... but apart from that I think I've got the grasp more or less of what to write

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending