The Student Room Group
Kingston University
Kingston University
Kingston upon Thames

Who goes KU. Share experiences

Does anyone on here actually study at kingston???I put kingston down as an insurance choice and when I went to the open day. It seemed real good nd I love it but lately ive been hearing too many negative comments about it. Would anyone who goes there please give me insight into what its like to be a KU student and whether the negative comments about disorganisation nd regret of choosin the uni can be justified. If I have to go to my inurance,I really dont want to spend the next three years regretting my decision if its not the right uni for me.
Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Well only you can say if it is the right uni for you, even then it is impossible to say definitively that you would have had a better/worse experience elsewhere, no?
Kingston University
Kingston University
Kingston upon Thames
Reply 2
Some people love Kingston, others don't. Just like every other university.

I have absolutely loved my time at Kingston. My course has been very well organised, however financial cut backs forced by the government have meant that Kingston has had to cut back on formal teaching time. Although this may be the same at other institutions, I have noticed the difference in standards since the change.

I don't know which course you're applying for, but I can tell you that the Business School is superb, with a lot of extra academic help available & the lecturers are all extremely knowledgable. This is also true for the School of Mathematics - tutors are always willing to help you as long as you show the commitment by attending lectures and putting the extra work in yourself. There are also sessions held regularly at the library or another location where you can pop in and ask a tutor for help with anything you don't understand.

The facilities on campus are great and the University is pretty good at responding to any issues. For example, recently students and staff felt that the wifi connection had become overloaded and so the university has decided to invest in improving capacity on the network.

However, the only thing that I have found difficult is working on group projects with international students who may struggle with English, and there are a lot of international students at Kingston - I'm sure you know about this. But I suppose this is all part of a broader education and a good introduction to the real world.

All in all though, I honestly couldn't picture myself at any other university.

Is there anything in particular you want to know?
Reply 3
Original post by Seaton
Well only you can say if it is the right uni for you, even then it is impossible to say definitively that you would have had a better/worse experience elsewhere, no?

True true. Guess by that I mean ,is it the kimd of place a student can be proud of and actually feel is supportive (to an extent) and provides high quality service to justify the 9000 a year debts I will be getting

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by adzyyt

I have absolutely loved my time at Kingston. My course has been very well organised, however financial cut backs forced by the government have meant that Kingston has had to cut back on formal teaching time. Although this may be the same at other institutions, I have noticed the difference in standards since the change.

I don't know which course you're applying for, but I can tell you that the Business School is superb, with a lot of extra academic help available & the lecturers are all extremely knowledgable. This is also true for the School of Mathematics - tutors are always willing to help you as long as you show the commitment by attending lectures and putting the extra work in yourself. There are also sessions held regularly at the library or another location where you can pop in and ask a tutor for help with anything you don't understand.

The facilities on campus are great and the University is pretty good at responding to any issues. For example, recently students and staff felt that the wifi connection had become overloaded and so the university has decided to invest in improving capacity on the network.

However, the only thing that I have found difficult is working on group projects with international students who may struggle with English, and there are a lot of international students at Kingston - I'm sure you know about this. But I suppose this is all part of a broader education and a good introduction to the real world.

Wow that is really helpful stuff. Thanks. I never knew any lecturers went as far as to hold sessions at the library. Im doing law which I believe is on the same campus with business. Do you know anything positive about the law faculty?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by naijaboyc
True true. Guess by that I mean ,is it the kimd of place a student can be proud of and actually feel is supportive (to an extent) and provides high quality service to justify the 9000 a year debts I will be getting

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well the students at Kingston Hill are on the whole a lot more positive about the uni and their futures than those that study at Penrhyn Road I feel, as the facilities at KH are vastly superior and less crowded, so offer a substantially better experience and place to study.

Given that the 8,500 for my course is the standard fee across all unis, I can't fathom what my lecturers could have gone any further to help with the course, which personally I have found so much a breeze I have not yet had to approach them for actual help, but whenever I wish to go over work or have general queries about the content of the following year they are always willing to over it when available and discuss matters in a friendly manner.

The Business and Law Faculty is just that, one faculty, to answer your following question.
Reply 6
Original post by Seaton
Well the students at Kingston Hill are on the whole a lot more positive about the uni and their futures than those that study at Penrhyn Road I feel, as the facilities at KH are vastly superior and less crowded, so offer a substantially better experience and place to study.

Given that the 8,500 for my course is the standard fee across all unis, I can't fathom what my lecturers could have gone any further to help with the course, which personally I have found so much a breeze I have not yet had to approach them for actual help, but whenever I wish to go over work or have general queries about the content of the following year they are always willing to over it when available and discuss matters in a friendly manner.

The Business and Law Faculty is just that, one faculty, to answer your following question.

Oh I see. Thanks a lot. Good stuff. Its very unlikely I would get on campus accomodation as its my insurance choice and even firmers dont seem to get on campus accomodation. If I had to live off campus,would the uni bus be free?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Oh I see. Thanks a lot. Good stuff. Its very unlikely I would get on campus accomodation as its my insurance choice and even firmers dont seem to get on campus accomodation. If I had to live off campus,would the uni bus be free?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Indeed it is, you need only be a student of Kingston uni, or have the air about as one as the drivers never check, to use the uni buses. :smile:

The buses can't be used otherwise, always strange to see non-locals try and board, Oyster cards in hand haha. Mind the buses don't run on weekends.
Reply 8
Original post by Seaton
Indeed it is, you need only be a student of Kingston uni, or have the air about as one as the drivers never check, to use the uni buses. :smile:

The buses can't be used otherwise, always strange to see non-locals try and board, Oyster cards in hand haha. Mind the buses don't run on weekends.

Hahaha If I go KU, that will be entertaining to watch every morning/noon . Thanks again
Reply 9
Hello guys! Anyone will be studying marketing communications and advertising next year at Kingston? :-)
I am considering Kingston for MA in Creative Writing and Publishing. Anyone else here who would be joining this September?
Reply 11
Approximately how many first years dont end up with on campus accomodation?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Approximately how many first years dont end up with on campus accomodation?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are you asking how many that don't get campus accommodation that applied for it? Or in total regardless?
Reply 13
Yeah, how many apply that dont get accomodation
Reply 14
Yeah, how many apply that dont get accomodation

Not a black and white answer either I am afraid! (nor ones that I have)

A lot of students who qualify for student housing but don't get it initially are put on stand by in temporary accomodation, waiting for the first batch to drop out in November when the first payment is due... which they promptly don't pay or move out/ drop out.

My guess is that the waiting list is quite long, although a number of course mates managed to get a place in halls relatively quickly, especially considering they live just outside the exclusion zone and having applied with a month of uni already under their belts.

Thus people may drop interest after apply and go private, remain on and get, never do, etc... So the figure will be changing constantly for the first few months.

Really is best to ask accommodation services... they won't bite I promise haha :wink:
Reply 15
Aha I hope not. Alright thanks a lot. Appreciate it.
Reply 16
Original post by adzyyt

As for living in Kingston. Is it generally safe? And are there any areas that are better to go for as for the private accommodation and any to avoid?
Reply 17
Original post by klika89
As for living in Kingston. Is it generally safe? And are there any areas that are better to go for as for the private accommodation and any to avoid?

A news reports showed that kingston/kingston uni was one of the safest places to live in london.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
There were definitely times during my 3 year spell at Kingston where I hated the organisation of the business and law faculty. Sometimes lecturers were not great, sometimes coursework wasn't explained properly. I think to be successful there you need to be ready to pester people for things. Ie constantly emailing or meeting lectures to explain things further. Also you need to be able to read things on your own. I won't lie, the lecturers are not always the best. During my b2b module in my final year (just finished) I learnt absolutely nothing from the lecturer. He gave us the exam topics and I had to revise myself in order to get a mark.

TL:biggrin:R There is definitely a lack of organisation in some parts, but it is still a good university and I would say you would experience little things like this wherever you go.
Reply 19
Yeea I wouldnt mind being more independent but I certainly hope the lecturers will be willing to help me if I was to get stuck. How motivated do you think students are in the faculty.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending