The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Feminists are such massive hypocrites

Feminists are such hypocrites. They demand a ban on anything that they don't agree with, but which other people like. They then force things onto people they themselves want, but which other people do not want. You can't have it both ways. It's like they want all the good things that come with being female, but they throw a big toddler tantrum when they have to accept the bad things that come with it.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by G8D
The feminism you see, the 'vocal' feminists, are nowadays more concerned with female superiority than equality. It's a real shame.

I hate radical feminists.
well, i'm a feminist and i'm not a hypocrite. i don't want things 'banned', could you give an example of what you mean?? and i'm also for males having equal rights to women (eg. the stigma attached to a man hitting awoman is extremely unfair)

also, i don't want superiority. i believe in equal rights, simple as. don't generalise and stereotype dude :smile:. there are some extremely radical feminists but that's not everyone
Reply 3
What are the bad things that come with being female that we dont accept? All i can think of are maybe periods and childbirth, which quite frankly we've all been quite happy with dealing with for years thanks.

I imagine almost everything else is (or should be) not gender specific if you are talking about rights and stuff.
Reply 4
Original post by kunoichi
What are the bad things that come with being female that we dont accept? All i can think of are maybe periods and childbirth, which quite frankly we've all been quite happy with dealing with for years thanks.

I imagine almost everything else is (or should be) not gender specific if you are talking about rights and stuff.

The inevitably lower pay women endure because of their time out of the workplace and (the potential for) maternity pay which employers have to cover.

That's a disadvantage to being a woman.

Not sure that it is reasonable to expect the benefits of maternity pay and law (which men don't get) and also expect the same pay.

Inb4 "what if I don't want children" -- it's all about potential costs to the employer. It was feminists that banned employers from asking about plans for family/impotence etc. so you reap what you sow.

For the record, my solution to this is to give men the same allowances - and watch the pay gap disappear. Interesting that the feminists don't take this view though, isn't it? They're only interested in benefiting one side.
Reply 5
Original post by OMGWTFBBQ
The inevitably lower pay women endure because of their time out of the workplace and (the potential for) maternity pay which employers have to cover.

That's a disadvantage to being a woman.

Not sure that it is reasonable to expect the benefits of maternity pay and law (which men don't get) and also expect the same pay.

Inb4 "what if I don't want children" -- it's all about potential costs to the employer. It was feminists that banned employers from asking about plans for family/impotence etc. so you reap what you sow.

For the record, my solution to this is to give men the same allowances - and watch the pay gap disappear. Interesting that the feminists don't take this view though, isn't it? They're only interested in benefiting one side.

I think most women accept that if they take time off work to have children then their career isnt going to progress as fast. Its only common sense.

I havent seen anyone paid differently ever tbh for the same job tbh,so im not going to comment on if people are paid differently because of their gender. In each company i work for there is standard pay for each position regardless of gender.

(But you cant moan women dont want to help the disadvantages against men and then support them being less because they may want to have children in the future. You then have become a hypocrite)

Actually an equal maternity and paternity leave is being put in place i believe. I havent spoken to one feminist who is against this.

The other thing i dont understand about a lot of guys is you expect women to have your children, expect us to help pay for it (or if a break up happens, moan about maintenece payments for the children) but then think its reasonable that we should be paid less or not employed because we are having those children that you want us to have. Seems those type of guys just want it all and then throw a strop when it doesnt happen, to me.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by kunoichi
I think most women accept that if they take time off work to have children then their career isnt going to progress as fast. Its only common sense.

Then why the fascination with the pay gap?

I havent seen anyone paid differently ever tbh for the same job tbh,so im not going to comment on if people are paid differently because of their gender. In each company i work for there is standard pay for each position regardless of gender.

It happens directly in small business, and comes about through lack of promotion in large businesses.

(But you cant moan women dont want to help the disadvantages against men and then support them being less because they may want to have children in the future. You then have become a hypocrite)

What? I don't support women getting less pay in return for better conditions. I support men and women getting the same pay and conditions. Pay and conditions should be standard. Nothing hypocritical about that. I endorse reducing men's pay and improving their conditions - which would close the pay gap.

Actually an equal maternity and paternity leave is being put in place i believe. I havent spoken to one feminist who is against this.

It was planned but didn't happen. Some allowance can be transfered from mother to father at her request - that's a) not all the allowance and b) only at her request. ie. not equal.

The other thing i dont understand about a lot of guys is you expect women to have your children, expect us to help pay for it but then think its reasonable that we should be paid less or not employed because we are having those children that you want us to have.

I don't care what "guys" think or expect. I deal in economic reality. Why should a company pay for some employees to have better conditions on the same pay as those who do not?

How women and men address the financial demands of pregnancy is up to them - not private businesses.

Seems those type of guys just want it all and then throw a strop when it doesnt happen, to me.

Whereas that sounds like feminism to me.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7
Then why the fascination with the pay gap?

I couldnt care less so i have no idea

It happens directly in small business, and comes about through lack of promotion in large businesses.

Guess im lucky with the businesses i know about and work for then.

What? I don't support women getting less pay in return for better conditions. I support men and women getting the same pay and conditions. Pay and conditions should be standard. Nothing hypocritical about that. I endorse reducing men's pay and improving their conditions - which would close the pay gap.

Guess i mis understood what you meant

It was planned but didn't happen. Some allowance can be transfered from mother to father at her request - that's a) not all the allowance and b) only at her request. ie. not equal.

Well at least thats an improvement then isnt it? I imagine that is to protect some women from maybe abusive husbands forcing them to go back before they are ready and then taking a legal paid break using the paternity leave? Thats just a guess though.

I don't care what "guys" think or expect. I deal in economic reality. Why should a company pay for some employees to have better conditions on the same pay as those who do not?

How women and men address the financial demands of pregnancy is up to them - not private businesses.

My point was that the men who think like this need to stop trying to take everything they can get and then complain that women do the same thing.

Whereas that sounds like feminism to me.

Well thats exactly what you said about feminists/women, so sounds like hypocrisy again to me. :smile:
Gee whiz, I'm such a hypocrite for wanting equal treatment. Be careful I'll be wanting the vote soon! :rolleyes:
The problem is that whilst women are pretty much equal in every way now, they haven't been for the last 100,000 years.

Hopefully very soon there will be no need for feminism at all. There is certainly no need for any attempt at the superiority of women, as opposed to equality. However, women still have problems that you only really feel if they affect you - the main one being lack of real female role models, particularly in the sciences.

I'm not saying boys have no problems, and I have absolutely no problem with putting a similar support programme in place for men. However, I don't think it's right to belittle feminism just because of a few people. This has become a trend on TSR. Real feminists only want gender to not be a factor in what opportunities you have, and this benefits both genders - you might have daughters one day. Granted in modern society the nit-picking involved sometimes seems unnecessary, but the core message was hard-won, and it's something I would happily fight for.
In fairness, it's radical feminists you want to aim your anger at rather than feminism in general, there are several strands and it's the vocal shove-my-opinions-down-your-throat ones you're talking about. I hate that too, and the same goes for religious people who try to argue out with you that what you think is wrong and you should convert. I'll come to you if I need help thanks!
feminazis
Reply 12
I like feminists, they disregard logic and doesn't afraid of anything
Reply 13
"Women want equality. To me, that lacks ambition. And that is why men are better than women."

I'm kidding of course.

I agree with the original statement, I think a lot of women are willing to accept the perks of equality without truly accepting everything else. However, having said that, it would be unfair to place a blanket statement over the whole of womankind when this type of feminism is actually only supported by a minority of people.
Reply 14
Original post by SpicyStrawberry
In fairness, it's radical feminists you want to aim your anger at rather than feminism in general, there are several strands and it's the vocal shove-my-opinions-down-your-throat ones you're talking about. I hate that too, and the same goes for religious people who try to argue out with you that what you think is wrong and you should convert. I'll come to you if I need help thanks!

But it really isnt radical feminists that cause me anger. It's the so called "Normal" or "Sane" ones, or maybe it's just the guardians feminists?
This is why labelling yourself something like 'feminist' is dumb because there will be people bringing bad stigma upon your label, unless you want to go down the 'No True Scotsman' route.
Hold onto your hats, here comes another anti-feminist thread!

:rolleyes: seriously though, its just the same posters making the same generalised points in these threads. we get it. why not try and do something productive for human rights rather than getting all aggro at feminists? it doesn't exactly achieve anything.
Reply 17

Feminists are one of the most vocal groups on bringing in equal parental leave for men. I'd call balancing parental duties between women and men a feminist agenda. I'm a feminist and I'm completely in support of men having equal rights to parental leave. I've never met a feminist who disagrees.

Why don't you ask feminists their opinions instead of creating them out of your imagination?
Well the thing is most 'feminists' aren't that radical. You can't say that women's body's aren't sexualised and stuff, it happens.

An example, Angelina Jolie being slated for having a double mastectomy by men who are saying stuff like 'she shouldn't have done it, what a waste of a perfectly good rack' etc and it's like... she is saving her life here. That's far more important than how good her tits look, surely? Not to some men. I'm not saying this is all men as I realise that's stupid. But some people still hold these views, and that's why we need feminism.
Yes we all want equality, we all want to live a peaceful life. But the radical feminists who want "equality" actually want to overpower others which in all honesty will wreck the whole peace process and send us back to a mirror version of the victorian times

Latest

Trending

Trending