The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2440
Original post by Multitalented me
Yeh I totally agree with this tbh, but also I think we need to be better at spotting young talent that we can get in cheaper then spending big money on more well known players.

We bought KDB and courtois for not too much money, we were the first to get into the current belgium market tbh so I think we've been getting better. We're no arsenal in this respect but even they make mistakes. We tried for marin as a backup for malouda and hoped he'd get into form reminiscent of his days before the injury. We also tried for ozil iirc but madrid got him I think.

Courtois will go on to be a legend at whatever club he plays for and KDB is looking like he would be a quality player.
Reminds me... we need to get Courtois to a premier league club. Who would take him?

edit: I forgot about Piazon as a winger/attacking mid. Should he stay at Malaga (he's been doing pretty good there) or join the premier league?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by The Assassin
Reminds me... we need to get Courtois to a premier league club. Who would take him?

edit: I forgot about Piazon as a winger/attacking mid. Should he stay at Malaga (he's been doing pretty good there) or join the premier league?

Want to loan him to us for a season? We Need a keeper or two with Valdez possibly going and Pinto retiring :colone:
Original post by jam277
We bought KDB and courtois for not too much money, we were the first to get into the current belgium market tbh so I think we've been getting better. We're no arsenal in this respect but even they make mistakes. We tried for marin as a backup for malouda and hoped he'd get into form reminiscent of his days before the injury. We also tried for ozil iirc but madrid got him I think.

Courtois will go on to be a legend at whatever club he plays for and KDB is looking like he would be a quality player.
Also Lukaku I feel will be great but need to look outside of Belgium even though they do have some quality youngsters coming through :tongue: I guess it's to do with out scouts though, & we need to make sure they are all top draw when looking around England & the rest the world. It is somewhat difficult when they're at a young age to know how good these players will be though, they'll just have to go on what they've seen & potential shown.
Predictions about later.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Don't understand how qpr finished bottom and look at what they were doing to Chelsea earlier in the season

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by The Assassin

West Ham would. Jaaskelainen's nearly 40 and was terrible last time I saw him.
Reply 2447
Original post by Zürich
West Ham would. Jaaskelainen's nearly 40 and was terrible last time I saw him.

Tbh, I'd like him to go to liverpool. If barca go for reina e.g. he'd be a good fit for liverpool, don't see the point of him playing for a pretty much midtable club in the prem when he could easily get a dose of CL football at atletico madrid. It makes less sense much easier for him to progress at atletico in the CL than at west ham.
Reply 2448
Also Lukaku I feel will be great but need to look outside of Belgium even though they do have some quality youngsters coming through :tongue: I guess it's to do with out scouts though, & we need to make sure they are all top draw when looking around England & the rest the world. It is somewhat difficult when they're at a young age to know how good these players will be though, they'll just have to go on what they've seen & potential shown.

The thing is that our scouts have done very well the past year and a half. Getting rid of arnesen has possibly been the best thing our club has done in terms of the youth. Feruz e.g. is someone we got for cheap at a young age. We see a new market and we exploited it first which I'm happy about. The german market was exploited by madrid right after the world cup e.g. and people have got onto it now the german players will cost top draw for clubs. The belgium market were exploited by us e.g. and bar us and aston villa who have got coups in KDB and benteke the players will now cost more than usual due to the demand.

Personally I feel italy is where you can get quality players coming in. They always have a good team due to the clubs being pretty good at youth(bar inter but go figure, they still had coutinho and balotelli), a weaker league than before so they have an incentive to come to the prem unlike in the 90s/early 2000s. Players like verratti who we could have got if we really tried for him would have been great for us this season.

I personally think the scouts are doing as well as they can, also remember that because chelsea have money when we come knocking for a player, the seller will raise the price up. Take the mata saga e.g. how we payed 10million more than what arsenal were going to pay for him had there been no other offer for him. So I'm pretty happy with our squad. We'll see with the wallace kid too.

It's better than what we did before and just buy loads of wonderkids with no intention of playing them and loaning them off to vitesse for their career to stagnate.
Original post by jam277
Tbh, I'd like him to go to liverpool. If barca go for reina e.g. he'd be a good fit for liverpool, don't see the point of him playing for a pretty much midtable club in the prem when he could easily get a dose of CL football at atletico madrid. It makes less sense much easier for him to progress at atletico in the CL than at west ham.

No harm leaving him in Spain really. He's still young and enjoying kicking back in the sun at a top3 club so hard to improve in England. Goalkeepers develop very differently to outfield players anyway so not sure it matters if its a top club or not. In many ways, a **** club is better as tyey get lots of shot stopping practice etc. Szczesny went to Barnet and had balls raining down on him and it didnt do him any harm!

Reina is **** these days, especially since he was so good 3 years ago, but they have a complex about taking players on loan probs. Still think its 1988. :rolleyes:

I see Cech maintaining his class level until he's 40 so down the road Chelsea are gonna have a decision on their hand though.
(edited 10 years ago)
Good luck today you guys! Have invested some serious dollar in Chelsea FC, I got the faith!
Original post by jam277
The thing is that our scouts have done very well the past year and a half. Getting rid of arnesen has possibly been the best thing our club has done in terms of the youth. Feruz e.g. is someone we got for cheap at a young age. We see a new market and we exploited it first which I'm happy about. The german market was exploited by madrid right after the world cup e.g. and people have got onto it now the german players will cost top draw for clubs. The belgium market were exploited by us e.g. and bar us and aston villa who have got coups in KDB and benteke the players will now cost more than usual due to the demand.

Personally I feel italy is where you can get quality players coming in. They always have a good team due to the clubs being pretty good at youth(bar inter but go figure, they still had coutinho and balotelli), a weaker league than before so they have an incentive to come to the prem unlike in the 90s/early 2000s. Players like verratti who we could have got if we really tried for him would have been great for us this season.

I personally think the scouts are doing as well as they can, also remember that because chelsea have money when we come knocking for a player, the seller will raise the price up. Take the mata saga e.g. how we payed 10million more than what arsenal were going to pay for him had there been no other offer for him. So I'm pretty happy with our squad. We'll see with the wallace kid too.

It's better than what we did before and just buy loads of wonderkids with no intention of playing them and loaning them off to vitesse for their career to stagnate.
Yeah I agree, the situation has definitely improved from the past at least, I'd like us to give our own academy players more of a chance to break through though, I'd like to see someone like Mceachran play in our first team like Wilshere does for Arsenal ideally but obviously he'd have to be good enough :tongue: Most clubs are probably looking at the Spanish/German/English leagues at the moment so as a results we can try & exploit the Italian/French/Dutch/Portuguse/ leagues where there is less competition for players, & I know some good young players from them leagues such as Jovetic, Lamela, Ljajic, Rodriquez, Capoue, Strootman etc.
Reply 2452
Yeah I agree, the situation has definitely improved from the past at least, I'd like us to give our own academy players more of a chance to break through though, I'd like to see someone like Mceachran play in our first team like Wilshere does for Arsenal ideally but obviously he'd have to be good enough :tongue: Most clubs are probably looking at the Spanish/German/English leagues at the moment so as a results we can try & exploit the Italian/French/Dutch/Portuguse/ leagues where there is less competition for players, & I know some good young players from them leagues such as Jovetic, Lamela, Ljajic, Rodriquez, Capoue, Strootman etc.

I agree here, although tbh the signing of oscar showed our intent that we're just not about buying the biggest name. We have improved massively in this regard. Dutch league is hit and miss so I'd like to avoid that whenever possible for every suarez and van nistelrooy you get a kezman and emanuelson. Portuguese league can be like that too porto are the best at mugging people off, see anderson, guarin, bosingwa, quaresma and more I'd avoid them unless there is another paulo ferreira/carvalho/deco about who can clearly fill a void in our squad.

French signings and italians should be where we should look at though there are many good players there. Although tbf it's not as big as it was in 2006, hence why wenger no longer looks in the french market as often as he used to and has shifted to the german/spanish leagues for quality young players. Italy is a bit of an unknown quantity though. Should give it a try.

Chalobah is looking the most likely to break through tbh, we have bertrand already anyway. Mceachran we'll see with him but I think he'll end up like jack cork unless we're short in that position in the summer like what happened with bertrand.
Reply 2453
http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11668/8713660/Chelsea-s-Frank-Lampard-focused-amid-reportedly-agreeing-new-deal

Okay, so apparently Frank's getting a new deal and he's reportedly agreed to it. That's always good news!
Reply 2454
That's great then. Really looking forward to next season now!
This is an interesting story, wonder what he's doing staying in a hotel in Chelsea...? And of course the robbery was committed by an Arsenal fan, thieving little rats.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/10056300/Jose-Mourinho-had-100000-of-jewellery-stolen-from-hotel-room.html

Telegraph's also saying Lampard's agreed a new deal.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/chelsea/10057773/Chelsea-midfielder-Frank-Lampard-agrees-one-year-deal-to-remain-at-Stamford-Bridge.html
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Cannotbelieveit
This is an interesting story, wonder what he's doing staying in a hotel in Chelsea...? And of course the robbery was committed by an Arsenal fan, thieving little rats.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/10056300/Jose-Mourinho-had-100000-of-jewellery-stolen-from-hotel-room.html

Just proof that you get **** people regardless of who they support. There was a worse case involving 4 fans beating a Liverpool fan to death and I think they were Arsenal fans too.

It better not :stomp: it's gonna be hard at Everton and Newcastle are safe so I don't know if they're gonna pull a surprise win
Poor Wigan :frown:
Reply 2459
I wouldn't mind the play off as long as it happened at least 10 days after Sunday, the players need some rest! Anyway I have faith in Chelsea scoring one or two goals on Sunday, with the Europa League being won (hopefully) the atmosphere at the Bridge would be eccentric and I can see us bagging two goals at least :smile:

Latest