The Student Room Group

Higher Human Biology 2013

I'm so worried about this human biology exam on Wednesday!:frown:

I'm averaging about 70% in multiple choice and around 68% in Section B. I'm worried about the essays as I do not know where to start when it comes to revising for them. I usually get about 11/20 section C. I'm predicting that the essays will be based on unit 1 and unit 3 but I'm not really sure what topics... anyone else got any predictions?

Also, to anyone who has sat this before, did you find it difficult? I really don't know what to expect.... here's hoping it's a good paper!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
same! worried and stressed out so badly. i've done almost all the past papers on the sqa website leaving out the essay question and i keep getting C :'( i need an A so badly, no idea how i'm going to manage that if i can't even get a B feel like giving up!

For essay questions im just going through them separately writing by own answers and then marking it with the answer scheme. so far the only pattern i see is that most of it is from unit 3.

A check list is also useful! whats your prediction the type of essay question?
Reply 2
Original post by stahh.x
same! worried and stressed out so badly. i've done almost all the past papers on the sqa website leaving out the essay question and i keep getting C :'( i need an A so badly, no idea how i'm going to manage that if i can't even get a B feel like giving up!

For essay questions im just going through them separately writing by own answers and then marking it with the answer scheme. so far the only pattern i see is that most of it is from unit 3.

A check list is also useful! whats your prediction the type of essay question?

I've mainly been focusing on section A and B since they're worth more but to be honest I have no idea how I'm going to do (I failed my prelim terribly, didn't even get a D). I feel the exact same right now, I just want to sleep haha.

Yeah that's what I'm doing as well. I've used a check list for all the past papers I've done and the grades I've got in them. I think repeating past papers after marking them help to get things into your head, it helped me quite a bit anyway! :smile:

I think that unit 1 could come up in the essays, as well as unit 3 obviously. I think that meiosis might come up, possibly something to do with water supply, behavior or maybe DNA or protein synthesis!

I think if you're wanting to try and get your grade up a bit just focus on the part A and B revision as they're worth more and don't worry so much about the essays, maybe just read over the marking schemes for a few different topics :smile: I have left essay revision until today and tomorrow so I'm hoping it's not too late... oh well!
Reply 3
Original post by lmmmmmmm
I've mainly been focusing on section A and B since they're worth more but to be honest I have no idea how I'm going to do (I failed my prelim terribly, didn't even get a D). I feel the exact same right now, I just want to sleep haha.

Yeah that's what I'm doing as well. I've used a check list for all the past papers I've done and the grades I've got in them. I think repeating past papers after marking them help to get things into your head, it helped me quite a bit anyway! :smile:

I think that unit 1 could come up in the essays, as well as unit 3 obviously. I think that meiosis might come up, possibly something to do with water supply, behavior or maybe DNA or protein synthesis!

I think if you're wanting to try and get your grade up a bit just focus on the part A and B revision as they're worth more and don't worry so much about the essays, maybe just read over the marking schemes for a few different topics :smile: I have left essay revision until today and tomorrow so I'm hoping it's not too late... oh well!

Yeah ive seen that too repeating the past paper diffenetly got me a better grade cant believe its just today left to revise :O okay most deffinetly do something on meiois thanks & just it help to imagine the marker is dumb and just write down whatever comes to your mind when you read the topic question state the obvious might even get you the mark like for a carbon type question saying that carbon dioxide is in the atmospher is one mark right there. But you cant ramble on too much and go off topic or you'll lose marks! Every little revision helps & good luck for tomorrow! :biggrin:
Really hope it's something easy like structure of red blood cells or temperature control :frown:!!! I keep getting Bs but I need an A! HAVE MERCY SQA!!!!
Original post by stahh.x
Yeah ive seen that too repeating the past paper diffenetly got me a better grade cant believe its just today left to revise :O okay most deffinetly do something on meiois thanks & just it help to imagine the marker is dumb and just write down whatever comes to your mind when you read the topic question state the obvious might even get you the mark like for a carbon type question saying that carbon dioxide is in the atmospher is one mark right there. But you cant ramble on too much and go off topic or you'll lose marks! Every little revision helps & good luck for tomorrow! :biggrin:

Ive revised so much I think I'm going crazy!!! :frown: I hope it isn't meiosis :eek::confused:
Also remember to learn nitrogen cycle, it's a couple of marks every year!!!
Reply 7
Original post by stahh.x

Yeah! I know, I'm trying not to worry too much but I'm feeling okay about just now. Yea exactly haha, oh I also forgot to mention that the menstrual cycle hasn't came up in essays since about 2004 (I think) so that could be a possibility as well :smile: Yeah that's something I need to try and not do, ramble on and go off topic! It's a bad habit for me unfortunately. Yep, good luck to you as well! :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by Faye__1996
Also remember to learn nitrogen cycle, it's a couple of marks every year!!!

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. Thanks for reminding me!
Reply 9
Ive basically did pastpapers today from 2002 to 2012, going to start refreshing myself of notes and essays between tonight and tomorrow morning.
Reply 10
Original post by Faye__1996
Really hope it's something easy like structure of red blood cells or temperature control :frown:!!! I keep getting Bs but I need an A! HAVE MERCY SQA!!!!

I doubt it that it's going to be on that since last years paper i think was on that? But your never know?
Hey guys, How did everyone find the exam today ?? Essay for Section A was decent but Section B ......... :s was confusing But overall, I thought it was a decent paper but the format of questions were odd :s-smilie: anyone else realised that :s-smilie: ??
Reply 12
If I may say so, I thought that that was a horrible paper. The only good part was the essays, Urghhh, horrible.
Reply 13
I thought that it was a horrible paper :frown:! The essays were extremely good, however some of the multiple choice were challenging and section B was just odd! Unlike any
Reply 14
Original post by itsGrand131415
Hey guys, How did everyone find the exam today ?? Essay for Section A was decent but Section B ......... :s was confusing But overall, I thought it was a decent paper but the format of questions were odd :s-smilie: anyone else realised that :s-smilie: ??

Original post by StudyMe
I thought that it was a horrible paper :frown:! The essays were extremely good, however some of the multiple choice were challenging and section B was just odd! Unlike any

Ive failed it. Went so bad. I even messed up the essays. The paper was so weird. Ah man.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by Aay
Ive failed it. Went so bad. I even messed up the essays. The paper was so weird. Ah man.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Really? I done Essays 1A and 2A on the membrane and liver. They went well, I've definitely got a B but it's an A I want. Section B was just dreadful. Waaaa.
Original post by StudyMe
If I may say so, I thought that that was a horrible paper. The only good part was the essays, Urghhh, horrible.

I thought the essays were awful!! Which did you do? Section B could probably been worse, the way the worded the respiration question was horrid!!
Original post by StudyMe

HOW BAD WAS THAT PAPER OMG. I can't even -
Reply 18
Original post by LovePeaceChocolate
I thought the essays were awful!! Which did you do? Section B could probably been worse, the way the worded the respiration question was horrid!!

I done 1A and 2A, membrane and liver! They went okayish, but there was some tough multiple choice and section b questions :frown:
Anyone if you have the answers please put them up and put me out my MISERY!!! Under the kidney I started talking about deamination and inactivation, feeeeck!!! Is that two marks off ALREADY?

Quick Reply