The Student Room Group

AQA General Studies Unit 4 help/ discussion :)

Whilst, up to now, I have paid very little attention to doing well in General Studies I felt I should really pay it the attention it deserves considering my university accept it as an A-Level. So far I've got AAB in the other units, and an A would go a long way in helping me achieve the AAB I need overall. :smile:

The General Studies lessons at school haven't been helpful at all, really. I enjoy the discussion but I still don't know what I need to have a look at when revising. Obviously, reading the newspaper or watching the news; taking an interest in important stuff like politics is fine. What else, though, should I be looking for? And what exactly does the specification want? It seems rather vague to me..! :confused:

Any discussion would be great. I'd really like to get an A; I need 86/100 UMS to get an A overall :s-smilie:
Reply 1
Which unit is this again? I remember for one of the A2 there's pre-release case study material you're supposed to have read beforehand, but I might be mixing it up with Unit 3.

To be honest with you, the best thing to do is practise your exam technique and the exam is more about how you think rather than what you know. So that means looking at past papers, practising your comprehension skills and writing essays under timed conditions.
Reply 2
Original post by dark-blue
Which unit is this again? I remember for one of the A2 there's pre-release case study material you're supposed to have read beforehand, but I might be mixing it up with Unit 3.

To be honest with you, the best thing to do is practise your exam technique and the exam is more about how you think rather than what you know. So that means looking at past papers, practising your comprehension skills and writing essays under timed conditions.

Ahh! I didn't know about the pre-release stuff. I'll check it out. I did Unit 3 in January and didn't get any source material beforehand, so I can only assume it's this unit. GENB4 (spec. B).

I agree with you. I know I wouldn't have been able to do as well as I have without the help of doing three essay subjects!
Reply 3
It seems to me that critical thinking should be paid great attention to, as it becomes of great importance when dealing with college essay. Personally i had real troubles with expressing my own thoughts and had to apply for help of editing at Admission-Essays.org. If I had been more serious about these courses, I wouldn't have had so many problems.
Reply 4
Original post by AlexByron
Ahh! I didn't know about the pre-release stuff. I'll check it out. I did Unit 3 in January and didn't get any source material beforehand, so I can only assume it's this unit. GENB4 (spec. B).

I agree with you. I know I wouldn't have been able to do as well as I have without the help of doing three essay subjects!

Yeah, some of the actual knowledge from my social sciences came in handy for the society side as well. :tongue:

I was on Specification A, so not sure if you'd still have pre-release material. You do get a copy in the exam but reading it beforehand helps as it saves times, means you're more familiar with it, can research stuff you don't understand and could possibly guess what you'd be asked.
Reply 5
Ah I was worried when you said pre-release material but I also do spec B so I imagine its just spec A that has prerelease material

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest