The Student Room Group

What happens if I fail my Foundation Maths GCSE?

Hi, I'm currently studying for my foundation Maths GCSE, in June, and I'm really not confident about getting a C, at all. I very rarely get D's in practice papers. I'm trying my best though, but it's become apparent that doing my best will probably not be good enough. If I fail, will I retake year 9 maths? And if I do retake year 9 maths, will I fall behind when I eventually move on to higher tier? Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

If you're doing foundation, you've already failed
Reply 2
Original post by jargonglossary
Hi, I'm currently studying for my foundation Maths GCSE, in June, and I'm really not confident about getting a C, at all. I very rarely get D's in practice papers. I'm trying my best though, but it's become apparent that doing my best will probably not be good enough. If I fail, will I retake year 9 maths? And if I do retake year 9 maths, will I fall behind when I eventually move on to higher tier? Thanks.

ignore the above comment,

what year are you in? If you're in year 10 you will have many chances to resit it if you don't manage to get a C, or if you do get a C and can change to higher tier
Okay, I don't know what year your in but I was in that very position last year. I had no hope of getting a C, I was completely rubbish at maths and to be honest, I only scraped a C and that was during my last maths exam of year 11.
Foundation maths is harder to get a C in because you need more marks, over 80% I think which means you really can't afford to drop marks on silly mistakes. Whereas, on higher you can afford to drop those marks because not only are the questions worth more 6/8 marks, but you need less than half of the questions on the paper to get a C.
If you're in year 11 and want to go to sixth form, please try desperately to get a C now as it will be so much easier, but you're school should offer retakes in year 12. Getting a C in maths is so crucial if you want to go into higher education.
What I did:
Had a tutor- I know these can be expensive, but some things are worth it.
PRACTICE PAPPPERRS- goodness me, I'm not saying they massively helped but they really got me familiar on exam questions and what to do.
And if you're in year 9- don't stress! You have two years left to get a C or even higher!
Original post by Blake-inator

Seeing as I'm thirteen years old, and have learning difficulties, I don't appreciate your comment. But thank you for making me feel fantastic and positive about myself!

Original post by gomg
ignore the above comment,

what year are you in? If you're in year 10 you will have many chances to resit it if you don't manage to get a C, or if you do get a C and can change to higher tier

I'm in year 9 at the moment. Oh okay, thank you!

You are such a cheeky one.

She's year 9. So there's plenty of time to improve.
Original post by weirdnessandcoffee
Okay, I don't know what year your in but I was in that very position last year. I had no hope of getting a C, I was completely rubbish at maths and to be honest, I only scraped a C and that was during my last maths exam of year 11.
Foundation maths is harder to get a C in because you need more marks, over 80% I think which means you really can't afford to drop marks on silly mistakes. Whereas, on higher you can afford to drop those marks because not only are the questions worth more 6/8 marks, but you need less than half of the questions on the paper to get a C.
If you're in year 11 and want to go to sixth form, please try desperately to get a C now as it will be so much easier, but you're school should offer retakes in year 12. Getting a C in maths is so crucial if you want to go into higher education.
What I did:
PRACTICE PAPPPERRS- goodness me, I'm not saying they massively helped but they really got me familiar on exam questions and what to do.
And if you're in year 9- don't stress! You have two years left to get a C or even higher!

This was really helpful, thank you! I've invested in a revision guide and do practice papers every other day. Thanks ever so much.
Reply 7
Seeing as I'm thirteen years old, and have learning difficulties, I don't appreciate your comment. But thank you for making me feel fantastic and positive about myself!

ok don't worry about it then, you'll have lots more chances to improve your grade
you wont fail i am in foundation as well all u have to do is revise my maths is probably a d but since i have been revising its been a c
Reply 9
If your in year nine it doesn't matter you can resit in November if you want to but it wont matter if you get a better grade in hihger because the foundation wont count. PS if your in england you can just resit a year

No problem! I live to help!
Why would you take something early when the best you can get is a C? That is the most stupid thing I have heard in a long time!
No problem! I live to help!
Why would you take something early when the best you can get is a C? That is the most stupid thing I have heard in a long time!

Why are you asking me? Apparently I've already failed, I must be too stupid to know.
Reply 12
Original post by weirdnessandcoffee
What I did:

More harder? The reason you do need more marks is because it is easier
I'm not an expert, but is it possible to ask to be entered into higher next time? Also, in response to Chicago, I find that Higher is easier than Foundation, although the questions are easier, I don't find it that much easier compared to higher tier papers.
Always think positive , work hard and you will achieve what you want .

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Chicago
More harder? The reason you do need more marks is because it is easier

Sorry in advance, as that's what I've always been told.

In that sense- yes, it is foundation therefore it is easier. However, for a D grade student silly mistakes do happen, therefore for them it makes it harder.

Wow, aren't you a nice person? Get off your high horse.
Reply 17
Try not to fail it. That way, it eliminates the question.

Just joking, just do a tonne of papers. That's what I did, and it helped me greatly :smile:
Original post by Lightning.
Wow, aren't you a nice person? Get off your high horse.

Wow, what a dick! My horse is sick! And she needs to learn that being **** at maths ISN'T a good thing!
why are you doing gcse in year 9?? your getting a D most probably because you havent learnt everything yet, i started my gcse in year 10 and sat my exam at the end of year 11 and got a high A. its not that hard you are aiming to low in my opinion also you havent learnt the gcse material!

Quick Reply

Latest