The Student Room Group

Nee-Naw-Nee-Naw! Food Crimes we Cannot Abide!

Scroll to see replies

I eat the tails off king prawns...honestly, it's like my favourite bit. Ever. :colondollar:
Reply 961
Original post by TotoMimo
I personally find putting gravy on chips just a bit bizarre. The more watery, the more bizarre.

Now don't instantly neg me for this - I have reasoning. I love mash with gravy, so it's not potatoes and gravy I cannot fathom. It's the fact that chips are all about the crisp fried exterior, it's the fatty coating on the chips that give them the crisp outside and fluffy potato inside; the contrast makes them interesting and delicious. But when you douse them in gravy, they go soggy and mushy, rendering the concept of having chips moot.

They kinda just become fatty potatoes again when doused in gravy, because you lose any crispness, a sludgy kind of semi-solid mashed tatties.

I agree, although I think having a pot of gravy on the side to dip them in is lovely because they remain crisp :smile:
Reply 962
I find it really upsetting watching someone eat a Kit Kat without splitting it in half...or someone eat a chocolate bar 'upside down'. A few weeks ago I saw my sister eat a chocolate Hobnob with the chocolate facing down...painful.
I personally find putting gravy on chips just a bit bizarre. The more watery, the more bizarre.

Now don't instantly neg me for this - I have reasoning. I love mash with gravy, so it's not potatoes and gravy I cannot fathom. It's the fact that chips are all about the crisp fried exterior, it's the fatty coating on the chips that give them the crisp outside and fluffy potato inside; the contrast makes them interesting and delicious. But when you douse them in gravy, they go soggy and mushy, rendering the concept of having chips moot.

They kinda just become fatty potatoes again when doused in gravy, because you lose any crispness, a sludgy kind of semi-solid mashed tatties.

Depends on what it is, its great for lunchtime at college but even better when theres a Chinese near the college which does chips, rice AND gravy or curry sauce for £2 delicious.

Something nice to eat but not that often is chips cheese and gravy(normally chinese gravy) makes the cheese melt and is luvly
An absolute CRIME is never trying a Curry Wallop.
Original post by sentiment
I find it really upsetting watching someone eat a Kit Kat without splitting it in half...or someone eat a chocolate bar 'upside down'. A few weeks ago I saw my sister eat a chocolate Hobnob with the chocolate facing down...painful.

To be honest... I just shove it in my mouth..... It's better than waiting. =/
Reply 966
Original post by py0alb
I take it you don't like pears and stilton then? Or cranberry sauce and turkey? Or apple sauce and salty pork? Or bacon and maple syrup? Or salty peanuts in chocolate bars? Or lamb tagine? Or chocolate coated pretzels? Or prosciutto and cantaloupe melon? Or strawberrys with balsamic vinegar? or chinese five spice?

Some of the best flavour combinations ever discovered mix sweet and savoury flavours together. This unnatural obsession with dividing flavours into sweet and savoury is a rather provincial british one.

All of these combinations you have mentioned sound vile. I would probably be fighting the urge to throw up if I had any of them
Seeing people bite a galaxy chocolate bar. It's made for melting!
I don't get why people go for an Indian and don't order a starter. Some of the best Indian food around is stuff you'd have as a starter. Also, peshwaari naan. As an Indian myself...it's just wrong. It has to be savoury naan with your curry unless you're going to a fake Indian restaurant that does all sorts.
Original post by jazzykinks
I don't get why people go for an Indian and don't order a starter. Some of the best Indian food around is stuff you'd have as a starter. Also, peshwaari naan. As an Indian myself...it's just wrong. It has to be savoury naan with your curry unless you're going to a fake Indian restaurant that does all sorts.

I am not that fond of Indian food, prefer chiese but I love when people put cheese and chilli inside the naan so its like a giant toastie, shame all the ones around here put cheese on top so the naan dries out easily.

I dont like curry too much as theres too much waste with the nice sauce

Though in a resturant I prefer plain naan, only been to one once for a all youc an eat and just got loads of non indian dishes lol.
Reply 970
I'm guilty of frying an egg in the same pan as lamb chops being cooked - a fried egg tasting of lamb meat was revolting!
french toast smothered in tomato sauce. ****ing disgusting. I love beetroot but i have to eat it seperately, it just annihilates everything on the plate with its purpleness, it's a nightmare. I also hate people who won't try something once, my 22 year old brother still refuses to try food :lol:
(edited 10 years ago)
My brother eats pasta with jars of Pataks curry sauce and cheese on top. Makes me want to vomit.
Reply 973
Not so much a consumption thing, but I think it still applies:

People that cook/bake in a dish and then don't at least put water in it in the sink, making it IMPOSSIBLE to clean.
Taupo%u00252Bporridge%2Bpan%2Bempty%2Bp2.JPG

Porridge and weetabix can be a NIGHTMARE to clean.
When people say they like coffee but add 4 teaspoons of sugar in them :mmm:
( a couple is fine, but 4? :eek:)

if they liked coffee wouldn't they want to taste it? :tongue:
Reply 975
Original post by SmokeRose92
I eat peanut butter with all number of strange things; cheese, cucumber, pancakes, jam, marmite, chicken :tongue:

Oooh that looks intriguing, where can you get it from? I'm hoping not exclusively from the U.S. I've never seen it about here :frown:

I'm a little late but I just wanted to say I also eat chicken with a peanut butter sauce! It's a thing in the Netherlands, you get these chicken brochette things and dip them in peanut sauce (saté saus :biggrin:). It tastes amazing! It might be inspired from the Indonesian cuisine :smile:
I took my dad to Nando's and he took the skin off the chicken. WHAT'S THE POINT THEN?
Reply 977
Original post by sentiment

chocolate facing down tastes better though, as you get the chocolate n your tastebuds
Reply 978
Original post by c_al
chocolate facing down tastes better though, as you get the chocolate n your tastebuds

Yeah, I can get on board with the Kit Kat cross-finger munchers, they want the world to burn. But there is a specific ancient Japanese practice of palate placement that accurately specifies the order in which particular taste sensations should occur for maximum enjoyment of each mouthful of food.

It is actually why you *should* eat a nigiri (ie, a slab-style sushi piece, such as I have pictured) by placing it rice-side UP on the tongue, so the fish, meat or tamago (omelette) piece tickles your tastebuds first. The iron, salt and delicate sweetness of the fish flavouring develops on the palate, and then the more bitter, sour vinegared rice afterwards. Basically the salt should be prominent first, then the sweet, and then sour, and then salt again.

So when eating a chocolate digestive, you should actually eat it with chocolate facing UP, in order to let the salty, malt oat biscuit melt on the tongue before developing into the sweet, creamy chocolate for a full flavour development. This is why custard creams and other sandwich biscuits are so addictively brilliant; if our tongues experienced the cream on the outside (think, an inverted custard cream) before the biscuit, then the biscuit would be overwhelmed and the salty, grain, butter tastes would be lost.
Reply 979
Yeah, I can get on board with the Kit Kat cross-finger munchers, they want the world to burn. But there is a specific ancient Japanese practice of palate placement that accurately specifies the order in which particular taste sensations should occur for maximum enjoyment of each mouthful of food.

It is actually why you *should* eat a nigiri (ie, a slab-style sushi piece, such as I have pictured) by placing it rice-side UP on the tongue, so the fish, meat or tamago (omelette) piece tickles your tastebuds first. The iron, salt and delicate sweetness of the fish flavouring develops on the palate, and then the more bitter, sour vinegared rice afterwards. Basically the salt should be prominent first, then the sweet, and then sour, and then salt again.

So when eating a chocolate digestive, you should actually eat it with chocolate facing UP, in order to let the salty, malt oat biscuit melt on the tongue before developing into the sweet, creamy chocolate for a full flavour development. This is why custard creams and other sandwich biscuits are so addictively brilliant; if our tongues experienced the cream on the outside (think, an inverted custard cream) before the biscuit, then the biscuit would be overwhelmed and the salty, grain, butter tastes would be lost.

You're my hero (also, love how you got negged for that).

Quick Reply

Latest