The Student Room Group

Higher Biology Exam?!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kh19
I put deoxyribose sugar? Is that the same thing?

Yeah it is:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
for the phototropism one.. first bit was phototropism

something like the benefit of it to the plant i said ; able to curve towards light source needed for photosynthisis thus growth

and how it occurs was ; IAA destroyed by light, most IAA on the dark side so elongation occurs at that side which causes the plant to curve towards the direction of light

and the substance made by shoot tips was obviously; IAA.
and for the DNA one at the beggining - first box was hydrogen bonds break between base pairs
second box was - chemical bond form between phosphate of one nucleotide and deoxyribose of another giving it 'backbone'

help :P
Original post by Kh19
I put deoxyribose sugar? Is that the same thing?

Deoxyribose sugar is the best answer of all. :biggrin:
Original post by xoJennyox
Yep I know :smile:. But the SQA want the word Deoxyribose on the paper and not just sugar!

The question consisted of a diagram of a nucleotide.

Understood, captain!
Reply 64
W
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
Deoxyribose sugar is the best answer of all. :biggrin:

Understood, captain!

Woo! :smile:
Reply 65
What headings did you guys have for the osmoregulation headings?
Reply 66
*ERQ's
Reply 67
Original post by lion542
What headings did you guys have for the osmoregulation headings?

"Regulation of blood water concentration"
"Decrease in blood water concentration"
I panicked and done them haha.

See for DNA replication for number 4, did anyone write about strong sugar phosphate bonds forming between adjacent nucleotides? My mind went blank and I was like eh I'll write that haha
Original post by JackoGeddes
and for the DNA one at the beggining - first box was hydrogen bonds break between base pairs
second box was - chemical bond form between phosphate of one nucleotide and deoxyribose of another giving it 'backbone'

help :P

Ahh I never wrote that hydrogen bonds broke, I just said that the DNA unzipped:frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 69
Original post by danaa
Ahh I never wrote that hydrogen bonds broke, I just said that the DNA unzipped:frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I put DNA unzips too!
Original post by Kh19

I put DNA unzips too!

Did you say anything about the hydrogen bonds breaking tho?:/ hope just saying that it unzips is sufficient

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 71
see for the first question of the written bit, did we get a mark each for phosphate and deoxyribose sugar or 1 point altogether ?
Reply 72
Original post by CSM1996
"Regulation of blood water concentration"
"Decrease in blood water concentration"
I panicked and done them haha.

See for DNA replication for number 4, did anyone write about strong sugar phosphate bonds forming between adjacent nucleotides? My mind went blank and I was like eh I'll write that haha

I only said Regulation of blood water concentration but put everything under it. You think I'll lose the coherence mark?
I'm pretty sure part 1 said that DNA unzips... that's why I wrote that hydrogen bonds break...
Original post by mwellno1
see for the first question of the written bit, did we get a mark each for phosphate and deoxyribose sugar or 1 point altogether ?

It was a mark each was it not?:/ I cant quite remeber! What order did you put them, as in which did you write down first?:/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Nessie162
I'm pretty sure part 1 said that DNA unzips... that's why I wrote that hydrogen bonds break...

For part one it just said that the DNA uncoiled I think?:/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 76
Original post by lion542
I only said Regulation of blood water concentration but put everything under it. You think I'll lose the coherence mark?

I doubt it, they didn't specify anything so I doubt they could really take a mark of for that. It was only really one part to the question which I've never seen before in ma puff.
Reply 77
Original post by danaa
It was a mark each was it not?:/ I cant quite remeber! What order did you put them, as in which did you write down first?:/

Posted from TSR Mobile

No I think it was 1 for both and then 1 for the bond.
Original post by lion542
No I think it was 1 for both and then 1 for the bond.

Oh, my bad! Sorry!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Gt1996
Well, that question was worded strangely

In the question it said work out how many hours the spend on average per MONTH but the answer part said hours per day

I remember getting 5 hours a day though?

I think that stumped everyone, what a lot of people didn't see was that it had 0.0 (start) and then (0.5) then went up in hours, so there was half an hour in the answer whereas everyone counted it as an hour!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending