The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Mental Health Support Society Mk X

Scroll to see replies

managed to go shopping today and speak to real live people, terrifying considering iv not really left the house in over a week :s-smilie:

just started another monkey and already done it wrong :frown: also have to write a 3000 word essay for tomorrow but cant even concentrate :frown:
my sleeping is proper messed up atm which really isnt helping with everything.
i can even concentrate on what im writing here let alone writing an essay that a 3rd year is meant to be able to write :s-smilie:
Original post by -FireFlies-
Tell me about it! I hated it honestly. Just glad I don't need to have it anymore.. Been threatened a few times with it if I didn't eat :erm:

Wow, if they're aware they should at least offer you something else! Don't you get one to one support?

That's the exact reason why I don't wanna go inpatient! Plus my doc here doesn't think it'll be beneficial to me... Especially at the amount of times I've kicked off here in a regular hospital! What in earth would I be like in the ED one :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think the one to one therapy is the only thing that helps me.
i kick off so violently sometimes that I'm afraid of myself. I know only one thing that prevents it, and I'm not supposed to take it. Sigh! I'm convinced that other patients, and, in fact, staff, laugh at me when I do. I've had patients tell me I act worse than their little sisters.
managed to go shopping today and speak to real live people, terrifying considering iv not really left the house in over a week :s-smilie:

just started another monkey and already done it wrong :frown: also have to write a 3000 word essay for tomorrow but cant even concentrate :frown:
i can even concentrate on what im writing here let alone writing an essay that a 3rd year is meant to be able to write :s-smilie:
Reply 543
Original post by HmMusic
Studio Ghibli films have to be the most uplifting, depression-friendly films I have seen in a long time. I love that they are so easy to watch and the colours and the characters are so beautiful. I think my favourite is Ponyo.

- -

Managed to make it through the day in one piece. Late finish at Uni so I'm really knackered but I feel ok now. Managed to get everything done at least.

Oh yes, definitely agree with you. Always feel better watching them. Especially the more sentimental ones like Whisper of the Heart. Grave of the Fireflies however is not a good idea as it is SO SAD. ;_;
Reply 544
Feel like I've been crumbling over the last couple of hours. No idea why I'm letting such stupid things affect me

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi everyone,

I feel so hopeless right now and I really don't know what to do. My whole family is so upset right now.
Could someone, anyone, please explain to me what it feels like to be depressed? My older brother had been suffering from depression for about 7 years now. I was pretty young when it first started so I just thought that this was a phase which he would eventually grow out of. I didn't really take it very serious because I had no idea what depression actually was and my parents used to pretty much hid their feelings and emotions from me to make it seem like everything was ok.

Now that I have grown up a bit and read up on depression I am just curious what is going through his mind. Him and my dad just had a pretty massive argument and he said "If only you could live my life for a day and see how I feel". That had always been his argument, but he never tells us how he feels. He has told us many times he thought about suicide but thankfully he hasn't commited it and I really hope to God that he will never commit it. He said the main reason he never did it was because he knew that it would have destroyed my mum.

What I do know is that the depression has been build up over a number of tragedies during his youth. He has been through a lot even as a child; I guess he never really had a proper childhood, he was always kinda like a miniature adult.

He used to be pretty health conscious and go to the gym and eat healthy, but over the past couple of months he stopped doing so. He also drinks alcohol from time to time and doesn't believe in God which is a pretty big deal since we are a muslim family.

So what I am saying is that i know different people obviously react differently but what should I do as a little sister. I tried talking to him but he keeps the conversation fairly short and I tried buying him stiff to try and cheer him up. But I honestly don't know what else to do to try and lift up his spirits and to show him that I actually care.

How would you want your siblings to be like around you. Would you rather they left you alone or for them to show you that they care?

Thanks for anyone who has read this.
Reply 546
Tired tired tired and having lots of thoughts which a couple of weeks ago I would have thought were bad but now just seem really sensible so it's confusing me loads. Just feel like getting into bed and not getting out again ever, and I'm not entirely sure that would be a problem.

Original post by PonchoKid

Well done on leaving the house. :smile: For the sleeping, have you tried just literally turning everything with a screen off at about 11PM and lying in bed? It sounds patronising and obvious and silly, but something that simple can really help. Artificial light is known to **** with sleep patterns.
In one of those moods where i feel on the verge of utter ****, but something is keeping me from being there. I just don't know where i am and kinda feel like i've lost touch with reality :s-smilie: Hope everyone else is managing to cope.
Original post by Meaty_man
In one of those moods where i feel on the verge of utter ****, but something is keeping me from being there. I just don't know where i am and kinda feel like i've lost touch with reality :s-smilie: Hope everyone else is managing to cope.

I was feeling like this recently. Hope you're okay Meaty_man! Have you got anyone you can talk to there with you? :hugs:
Reply 549
:hugs: to everyone who is feeling bad or suffering today. :hugs:
I am really panicky and lowish at the minute, paid £100 for a holiday then realised the fares to get there were another £75 so readvertised it(considering people were desperate to get a holiday that price) and no one wanted it so £100 down and yet I get £65 a week from DWP to live off and this was my years holiday :frown:

Added to the fact now I am worried as still havent got my deposit back from LL 3 months after moving and them claiming I trashed place and I was supposed to get support to take it to court but now looks like I would have to do it and also go to court alone which I cannot do.
Original post by PonchoKid

Well done for going shopping! :biggrin: get anything nice ?:smile: yay for monkeys! They are too cute :tongue:

Hope your sleeping pattern gets sorted soon! What's happening with your sleeping pills? :hugs:

Original post by lethean girl
I think the one to one therapy is the only thing that helps me.
i kick off so violently sometimes that I'm afraid of myself. I know only one thing that prevents it, and I'm not supposed to take it. Sigh! I'm convinced that other patients, and, in fact, staff, laugh at me when I do. I've had patients tell me I act worse than their little sisters.

:hugs: it's not easy but just remember they are there to help you and get better.. And I sound like such a hypocrite :facepalm:

That's wrong that they laugh at you! They shouldn't do that.. You're ill and you can't help it!

-----------

Dinner time :eek:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 552
Original post by Meaty_man

:jumphug: :jumphug:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well done for going shopping! :biggrin: get anything nice ?:smile: yay for monkeys! They are too cute :tongue:

Hope your sleeping pattern gets sorted soon! What's happening with your sleeping pills? :hugs:

:hugs: it's not easy but just remember they are there to help you and get better.. And I sound like such a hypocrite :facepalm:

That's wrong that they laugh at you! They shouldn't do that.. You're ill and you can't help it!

-----------

Posted from TSR Mobile

i just had dinner, and feel horrible. I wish I could wash the taste away somehow... But, no, I'm stuck in the common room on observation. Fun.
Original post by lethean girl
i just had dinner, and feel horrible. I wish I could wash the taste away somehow... But, no, I'm stuck in the common room on observation. Fun.

What's your daily routine like in there if you don't mind me asking?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by asdfgah
Well done on leaving the house. :smile: For the sleeping, have you tried just literally turning everything with a screen off at about 11PM and lying in bed? It sounds patronising and obvious and silly, but something that simple can really help. Artificial light is known to **** with sleep patterns.

i had to cos its a housemates birthday tomorrow and i had to get her birthday present and me some form of food :s-smilie:
at the moment i cant do that, have to sleep with a lamp and the radio on due to being scared of the silence and dark mostly due to mice. but iv tried that before and i just lay there for hours in the dark getting angry at myself cos i cant sleep. proper sucks
Original post by Noodlzzz
Has anyone had any experience in withdrawal/cutting down of antipsychotic and a psychotic episode? I would really like to know how to spot the difference.

This is my really unprofessional TLG-style logic here, so this is not to say that it is what a psychiatrist/trained professional would agree with/say:

- For me personally, a period of psychosis has to be reasonably lengthy to be termed a psychotic episode. Anything under a week, I personally term a "psychotic blip". Anything between a week and say, two months, I'd term a "minor psychotic episode". Anything beyond that - particularly if it includes my really bad time of Jan-April - is a major psychotic episode, in TLG terminology :yes:

- For me at least, a psychotic episode will have (in retrospect) several identifiable triggers, that lead to some kinda brain explosion, which is the start of a minor or major psychotic episode. Anything with only one trigger, I usually term a psychotic blip, coz it rarely lasts very long

Not sure that really helps you, tbh :colondollar:

Original post by jargonglossary
Hey, how is everyone today? Been pretty depressed this week. First GCSE ever coming up in three weeks too. So perfect timing! :/

Have you got special arrangements for your exams? I'm not quite sure how these things work at secondary school level but there must be things your school can do to support you :hugs:

Original post by meganht
I feel a bit out of place here saying I really enjoyed my school. It wasn't in the best area but the pastoral side really helped me with all this mental stuff going off in my head, and I didn't come out with too bad grades or friends.
This makes me feel slightly guilty though, are normal children with boring normal school lives allowed to go off the rails? :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I got bullied at school, which was quite detrimental, but generally I have very positive memories of my time at secondary school. Even though I was depressed, I just lost myself in a little musical bubble by spending all my time in the music department :musicus:

Hope your sleeping pattern gets sorted soon! What's happening with your sleeping pills? :hugs: -----------

just went to asda and bought food and sweets and cereal haha, oh and a chicken for a roast tonight :ninja:
they are, but i did the legs wrong :frown: so i dont think it will work :frown:

hopefully, off to the boyfriends tomorrow so i can get some safe sleepp :smile: i dont want to take them every night because there addictive, and i dont want to become reliant on them, which i think i was becoming

good luck, you can do it! :smile:
Original post by Noodlzzz
Has anyone had any experience in withdrawal/cutting down of antipsychotic and a psychotic episode? I would really like to know how to spot the difference.

I think the biggest indicator is length of time, from what I've read and experienced there doesn't really seem any other way to easily tell the difference.
Anyone know how to tell if this is a bipolar depression or a depression caused by a side effect of my contraceptive? I was warned it could cause depression and went with one with the lowest risk but obviously that doesn't eliminate it. Not sure whether this has anything to do with it

Latest