The Student Room Group

AS-Level English Literature OCR Exam

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
Original post by yugiohtheawesome
Oh my god, the exam's not tomorrow is it?! I thought it was on Friday!

sorry that was my fault, the exam is on Friday, I will make sure to edit my last post. Sorry if caused you any worry :redface:
Reply 141
Original post by sophie5
I'm doing the same as you Edward Thomas and Frankenstein, I don't know the exact question, but I know the poem was The Sun Used To Shine,
What do you think will come up this year?

I'm not sure what I think it'll be but I really want it to be March! What about you?
Reply 142
Original post by JessLB
I'm not sure what I think it'll be but I really want it to be March! What about you?

Yeah March would be ok, I don't want Words or Petty case. Id be pleased if As the teams head brass or lights out came up
Original post by maxtate
Same! I'm gonna post 15 page Dorian Gray notes in a bit after I finish them (themes, characters, preface, aphorisms, edition changes, critics) so look out for them! Going through the book all over again so it may take long :P

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey, I'm sure we'd all really appreciate your notes, so thank you! :biggrin:
What question do you think's going to come for Dorian Gray? I have a suspicion that it's going to be on women, or maybe the presentation of aestheticism.

For poetry, I'm praying that it's either Easter 1916, or September 1913. The Stolen Child is just a load of twaddle to me -____- Wouldn't mind Leda coming up either, but our teacher said the poem was to short to be in the exam. :frown:
Original post by BC95
sorry that was my fault, the exam is on Friday, I will make sure to edit my last post. Sorry if caused you any worry :redface:

Don't worry, you didn't cause me any worry, I'm just scared that some question will come up in the exam which I have no clue how to answer, and I'll just be staring at it for a good 10 minutes cursing the world. :colone:
Reply 145
Original post by sophie5
Yeah March would be ok, I don't want Words or Petty case. Id be pleased if As the teams head brass or lights out came up

Yeah I don't want Petty Case either or Aspens! Yeah lights Out would be gooood
Hey!

Does anyone know the specific questions they asked in the January exam for Dorian Gray? I can only find one past paper from June to look at!
Thank youuu
xx
Reply 147
hey guys, I'm doing Edward 'moody b*stard' Thomas :P and Turn of the Screw, how do you structure your poetry?
Reply 148
Original post by ChrisP8
hey guys, I'm doing Edward 'moody b*stard' Thomas :P and Turn of the Screw, how do you structure your poetry?

I just do an intro and then in each para make a point linked to the focus poem, then link that point to another poem, and then link it back to the question with the focus poem. (If that made any sense, aha.) So quite a few paras making sure to include all the AOs.
Reply 149
Original post by lauralauraanne
Hey!

Does anyone know the specific questions they asked in the January exam for Dorian Gray? I can only find one past paper from June to look at!
Thank youuu
xx

Don't know the exact question but one was on moral and spiritual corruption, the other on the presentation of time passing.

I got them from the examiners report for jan 2013:
http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/137474-examiners-reports-january.pdf
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Piguy
Don't know the exact question but one was on moral and spiritual corruption, the other on the presentation of time passing.

I got them from the examiners report for jan 2013:
http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/137474-examiners-reports-january.pdf

Ah, thank you so so much!
Reply 151
Can someone please reply asap. I do ocr exam board and according to last year grade boundaries i got an E for my coursework FML. Can i still get a B overall ? and what grade do I need for the exam ....
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 152
Original post by JessLB
I just do an intro and then in each para make a point linked to the focus poem, then link that point to another poem, and then link it back to the question with the focus poem. (If that made any sense, aha.) So quite a few paras making sure to include all the AOs.

ah okay cool! have you done one before? if so what grade was it for doing that structure?
Jan 2013 paper:

'The novel is heavy with moral and spiritual corruption' (Victorian review)

How far and in what ways do you agree with this view of The Picture of Dorian Gray?

'Time is not really suspended, even for the novel's beautiful young hero'.

In light of this comment, discuss ways in which Wilde portrays time passing in The Picture of Dorian Gray

I really hope women come up too... was hoping for corruption/temptation/innocence too, but not too sure about these given the Jan 2013 question. I guess there could be something on aestheticism/class divides/art (which I have nothing to say), but if you look at all of the past papers, the trend is for there to be a REALLY DIFFICULT, RANDOM QUESTION (e.g. the passing of time - yes it's answerable, but it's unlikely that anyone's going to have loads of quotes/insightful comments on it), and also a KIND, NICE QUESTION (e.g. whether the novel is full of corruption both spiritual and moral - which there is quite a bit to say, and can elicit both high and low level responses and there's lots of AO3/AO4 stuff to say for this too).

So I'm hoping that women come up! :smile:
Reply 154
What question do you think's going to come for Dorian Gray? I have a suspicion that it's going to be on women, or maybe the presentation of aestheticism.

For poetry, I'm praying that it's either Easter 1916, or September 1913. The Stolen Child is just a load of twaddle to me -____- Wouldn't mind Leda coming up either, but our teacher said the poem was to short to be in the exam. :frown:

Umm I think Aestheticism (a genre/themed essay) and poetry no idea but counting on The Second Coming because I wrote a 15 page analysis of it so it's the best for me :P
Reply 155
Original post by ChrisP8
ah okay cool! have you done one before? if so what grade was it for doing that structure?

Have done a few practice ones for homework at school and have got A grades but I guess also how much of each of the AOs you include, like how good analysis is and stuff... Sorry if not very helpful!
Reply 156
Original post by ChrisP8

Any thoughts on what poem is going to come up?!

If you judge by length that would rule out half the collection like Cold Heaven and Second Coming. It's more a question of is the poem rich in stylistic features or is it not. A poem lacking a strong AO2 basis would not be chosen because the essay is primarily a stylistic analysis.

Can't really rule any out bar Broken Dreams and Wild Swans. I would be surprised if they select Cat and Moon, Echo or School Children given the complexities of such and the lack of AO2 for Cat and Moon
I was just reading the Cold Heaven and trying to think about what to say on structure and form, but I'm stumped :frown: Can anyone help me out please? I know it's in iambic tetrameter and it has a chiasmus to highlight the Airman's solitude, but is there anything else I could say?
Reply 159
Original post by JessLB
Any thoughts on what poem is going to come up?!

no clue! just praying its a good question!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending