The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Feminists are such massive hypocrites

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
These types of arguments are becoming so ridiculously virulent on the internet in recent history. They are a product of a complete lack of understanding about the aims and objectives of feminism and the typical view of a feminist as this hairy-legged, man hating woman. First of all, the actual role of feminism in society is much more about progressing it in a positive way and attacking the generally misogynistic representation of women that is still fairly dominant in our society. This is opposed to the belief that the aims of feminism are to create a society where women are dominant. This is not the case and I wish that people started to recognise this. About this view of the typical feminist, I feel the need to point out that I am in fact a guy. Although I don't think I could be considered a true feminist, due to a few points (I completely oppose allowing women into the military), it's possible for a dude to support feminism. Thus, it is clearly obvious that absolutely everyone can consider themselves a feminist, should they wish too. To stereotype feminists is a completely ridiculous thing to do due to the many reasons that one can support feminism.
Original post by C_G
These types of arguments are becoming so ridiculously virulent on the internet in recent history. They are a product of a complete lack of understanding about the aims and objectives of feminism and the typical view of a feminist as this hairy-legged, man hating woman. First of all, the actual role of feminism in society is much more about progressing it in a positive way and attacking the generally misogynistic representation of women that is still fairly dominant in our society. This is opposed to the belief that the aims of feminism are to create a society where women are dominant. This is not the case and I wish that people started to recognise this. About this view of the typical feminist, I feel the need to point out that I am in fact a guy. Although I don't think I could be considered a true feminist, due to a few points (I completely oppose allowing women into the military), it's possible for a dude to support feminism. Thus, it is clearly obvious that absolutely everyone can consider themselves a feminist, should they wish too. To stereotype feminists is a completely ridiculous thing to do due to the many reasons that one can support feminism.

Good post! (I'd rep but all out for today). Out of interest, why don't you think women should be allowed in the military? Do you mean front line combat, or just any military jobs?
Reply 22
Original post by edithwashere
Good post! (I'd rep but all out for today). Out of interest, why don't you think women should be allowed in the military? Do you mean front line combat, or just any military jobs?

I've just seen interviews from women that have been on the front lines and they regret it massively. It has a much more negative effect on the life of a woman than it does on a man, or so it seems. It's difficult though, since I advocate individual freedom in most cases too.
"Last week, I appeared on the panel of the BBC’s Any Questions? in Guildford. We were asked whether we thought women should be allowed to take part in full front-line combat roles in the Armed Services. I said I didn’t think that it would be an advance in human civilisation if women abandoned their traditional association with peace and started killing people as men do. This did not please the questioner, an intelligent student from the politics department of Surrey University, or her supporters sitting with her. They thought that the only question was the ability of the woman if she was fit to fight, fight she should, and no one should stop her.

Afterwards, I reflected on the oddity of the situation. It did not seem that the student and her colleagues were particularly interested in military matters in themselves. They also did not seem the sort of people who, in other circumstances, would be at all keen on people killing people. I could imagine them protesting against militarism. Yet here they were, pushing for a woman’s right to kill.

Why? Because of Equality, of course. It gets you into strange situations."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/womens-politics/9842384/This-Equality-obsession-is-mad-bad-and-very-dangerous.html
Original post by Sherlockedd
You can't say that women's body's aren't sexualised and stuff, it happens.

And men's aren't? And men can't also be viewed in shallow terms (i.e. walking wallets)?

An example, Angelina Jolie being slated for having a double mastectomy by men who are saying stuff like 'she shouldn't have done it, what a waste of a perfectly good rack' etc and it's like... she is saving her life here. That's far more important than how good her tits look, surely? Not to some men. I'm not saying this is all men as I realise that's stupid. But some people still hold these views, and that's why we need feminism.

What a compelling argument. SOME men find a pretty woman's body so attractive, that they think that this outweights the potential health benefits of a mastectomy? Amazing. I'm sure that some women would say a similar thing, were there to be a comparable case scenario in a man (being as there don't tend to body parts that women find attractive in men, removed due to cancer/risks of which, there isn't a great comparison available). Let's note that she didn't actually HAVE breast cancer, but was merely at risk of it. I still respect her decision, but using ANECDOTAL evidence, in the form of some men thinking that she shouldn't have it done, as an argument in favour of feminism, is, frankly, ridiculous.
Reply 25
Im surprises about your response. -how many examples do you want?

Latest

Trending

Trending