The Student Room Group

Higher Biology Exam?!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
I should really stop changing my answers, I had crossing over then changed it to independent assortment :frown:

Edit: I found this on internet "Recombination may be caused by loci on different chromosomes that sort independently or by a physical crossing over" does that mean it could be either?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by lion542
So did you get 0.4 +0.4+0.2+1=2 then divide by 4 since 4 months to get 0.5?

I got 3.5 hours :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 102
Original post by OliviaTurner
I got 3.5 hours :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Like I said earlier I managed to get 5 somehow, everyone I know is saying 0.5 :frown: Looks like we missed out

@CSM I put random alignment. Im sure everything along those lines is fine
Original post by Gt1996
Like I said earlier I managed to get 5 somehow, everyone I know is saying 0.5 :frown: Looks like we missed out

@CSM I put random alignment. Im sure everything along those lines is fine

Did you make sure you were getting it from the right side of the table cause I used the wrong one to begin with AND SORRY I MEANT 0.5 hours!! & I got 5 originally from the wrong side, the question before was on one side then that one was on the other, that's what confused me!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 104
Why did the hummingbirds gain mass over the Summer? And why was stupor beneficial or something?
Original post by xoJennyox
Why did the hummingbirds gain mass over the Summer? And why was stupor beneficial or something?

I said there was more food available and the decreased temperature decreases the metabolism conserving energy!

Posted from TSR Mobile
the damn bird one.

why do their body mass increase in summer? increased food availability in summer compared to winter months
why is it good to go into tupor during migration? can conserve energy for flying/migration across long distance
why they do it less in the winter? need high level of resperation (metabolic rate) for increased heat production in colder months

advantage of territorial behaviour? reduced compittion
Does anyone know when the marking scheme comes out? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 108
Original post by JackoGeddes
the damn bird one.

why do their body mass increase in summer? increased food availability in summer compared to winter months
why is it good to go into tupor during migration? can conserve energy for flying/migration across long distance
why they do it less in the winter? need high level of resperation (metabolic rate) for increased heat production in colder months

advantage of territorial behaviour? reduced compittion

Yeah I got the first two. But did I need that exact wording for the migration question? I just put "conserves energy" in a mad rush because I had 5 minutes left.

Third one I missed out and and for the competition I put that it ensures that the birds get food and use less energy foraging alone. I don't know if that is right...probably not.
Reply 109
Does anyone know when the marking scheme comes out? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

August, when me get our results so they are no use to us then. If someone had the paper and scanned it then we could work out all the answers!
I said there was more food available and the decreased temperature decreases the metabolism conserving energy!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Bang on! I hope you also said that the conservation of energy leads to increased conversion to fat, which is what increases the mass? :tongue:
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
Bang on! I hope you also said that the conservation of energy leads to increased conversion to fat, which is what increases the mass? :tongue:

No I didn't, didn't have enough time, I didn't think :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
No I didn't, didn't have enough time, I didn't think :frown:

Well, who knows what the mark scheme says? They might take it as an obvious thing and give you the mark! :smile:
Reply 114
What were the essay questions again?
Photosynthesis (Light Dependent Stage + Pigments)
Protein Synthesis ? ( mRNA and Function of proteins)

Osmoregulation
Succession
Reply 116
Osmoregulation in response to decreasing water concetrations right?
I thought it was okay, it's my second year doing Biology because I had to have an operation last year during May which meant I couldn't sit my exams.

ALTHOUGH how unvaried was it?! There was nothing about viruses, metabolic pathways, effects of drugs on foetal development... etc etc.

I found it easy enough, I am good at biology and my only downfall is stupid mistakes like reading graphs wrong. But I would have enjoyed a broader exam... It was a pretty **** performance from the SQA!
Original post by xoJennyox
Yeah I got the first two. But did I need that exact wording for the migration question? I just put "conserves energy" in a mad rush because I had 5 minutes left.

Third one I missed out and and for the competition I put that it ensures that the birds get food and use less energy foraging alone. I don't know if that is right...probably not.

By god that bird one was a bastard. Graph reading and evaluation skills are NIL in me...
Original post by Tistor
Osmoregulation in response to decreasing water concetrations right?

yep :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending