The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Boy_wonder_95
Sorry but Jan 2009 M1 was actually a hard paper throughout! that's the exception.

This is weird but I found Jan 2009 a lot easier, I think it was an easy exam overall, but found the exams between 2000 and 2005 a lot harder. Well maybe it was just exam pressure after all.
Reply 801
A boy with a mass of 50kg runs at 5 m/s on to a 20 kg trolley in the same direction at 1.5 m/s what's the common velocity?
Original post by Robbie242
Why do people keep saying this, unless you mean contextually back then, I went through the M1 Jan 2009 paper and dropped 5marks for the exerted on pulley question and nothing else (blind as well) and one of the first papers I did... It wasn't that hard of a paper and losing the pulley question still got you full ums...

I felt this one was around the same difficulty

You wouldn't be saying that if you sat M1 Jan 2009 for the real thing under exam pressure.
Reply 803
You wouldn't be saying that if you sat M1 Jan 2009 for the real thing under exam pressure.

Probably yeah but if you did all book questions/ if they had CGP books back then, I would be able to tackle most questions
Original post by MAyman12
This is weird but I found Jan 2009 a lot easier, I think it was an easy exam overall, but found the exams between 2000 and 2005 a lot harder. Well maybe it was just exam pressure after all.

Didn't you sit a different paper since you're international?
Reply 805
Original post by Kosovaa
A boy with a mass of 50kg runs at 5 m/s on to a 20 kg trolley in the same direction at 1.5 m/s what's the common velocity?

I'll assume this is conservation of momentum question? set your equation total momentum before impact=total momentum after impact

Add both masses together and multiply them by a common velocity v on the right hand side

m1u1+m2u2=m1v1+m2v2m_1u_1+m_2u_2=m_1v_1+m_2v_2 but since the velocity is common in both objects (assuming they combine as one) you take v1=v2 and can just say that speed is v
(edited 10 years ago)
Why do people keep saying this, unless you mean contextually back then, I went through the M1 Jan 2009 paper and dropped 5marks for the exerted on pulley question and nothing else (blind as well) and one of the first papers I did... It wasn't that hard of a paper and losing the pulley question still got you full ums...

I felt this one was around the same difficulty. If anything I thought jan13 was the hardest paper so far

No, just no. I will be the first to say that Jan 2009 is overrated in terms of difficulty but this paper certainly wasn't harder.

(And if we're throwing around anecdotal evidence my friend who sat this paper is looking at full raw marks, but only managed 63/75 on Jan 2009 the night before.)
Didn't you sit a different paper since you're international?

No I sat the English one. I wish I took the International one as I found it easier.
Reply 808
Original post by DJMayes
No, just no. I will be the first to say that Jan 2009 is overrated in terms of difficulty but this paper certainly wasn't harder.

(And if we're throwing around anecdotal evidence my friend who sat this paper is looking at full raw marks, but only managed 63/75 on Jan 2009 the night before.)

I suppose, different elements were tougher, for instance dynamics in jan2009 was much harder whilst moments was fairly simple. I thought the suvat in our paper was also slightly tougher than jan09 for the speed time graph (lorry was very easy).

Generally though I found that if I sat down to this paper or jan09 blind then I would do better in Jan09. But maybe that is because I was weaker on the easier topics, as opposed to the moments question that got many people instantly
Original post by DJMayes

It wasn't hard, but people still ****ed up. Congrats for him anyways:biggrin:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by MAyman12
It wasn't hard, but people still ****ed up. Congrats for him anyways:biggrin:

*her :wink:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 811
Instead of arguing about the paper can somebody help me with this question please? A boy with a mass of 50kg runs at 5 m/s on to a 20 kg trolley in the same direction at 1.5 m/s what's the common velocity?
Reply 812
Original post by Kosovaa
Instead of arguing about the paper can somebody help me with this question please? A boy with a mass of 50kg runs at 5 m/s on to a 20 kg trolley in the same direction at 1.5 m/s what's the common velocity?

What did I just say above?

I'll assume this is conservation of momentum question? set your equation total momentum before impact=total momentum after impact

Add both masses together and multiply them by a common velocity v on the right hand side

m1u1+m2u2=m1v1+m2v2m_1u_1+m_2u_2=m_1v_1+m_2v_2 but since the velocity is common in both objects (assuming they combine as one or move with the same velocity) you take v1=v2 and can just say that speed is v
(edited 10 years ago)
I think people need to stop comparing the M1 paper to the likes of Jan 09 as this was pretty much nothing in comparison, for this one you just had to give the questions a little thought and the answers came out without much work, I honestly think the boundaries will be like normal as it seemed pretty straightforward, even under exam pressure. I just made a stupid mistake because I always make them, I had all the correct methods but I just tried to be too clever and I forgot about such a basic formula.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DJMayes

In relative terms, I think it is if you compare it to other M1 papers it is, but in terms of difficulty then yh it doesn't hold against M2 papers or the like.

And similar happened with me, I also got a 'low' score in that paper when I did it 3 days before the real exam, then I got full raw in Jan 2013 which imo was significantly easier. (Only tricky part was SW vectors :tongue:)
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 815
What did I just say above?
Would you mind showing me the working out?
Reply 816
Original post by Kosovaa
Would you mind showing me the working out?

Since they are running in the same direction, we will take that direction to be positive lets say -> +ve

Then with conservation of linear momentum we have:

50(5)+20(1.5)=50(v)+20(v)[br][br]70v=280[br][br]v=450(5)+20(1.5)=50(v)+20(v)[br][br]70v=280[br][br]v=4
Reply 817

Since they are running in the same direction, we will take that direction to be positive lets say -> +ve

Then with conservation of linear momentum we have:

50(5)+20(1.5)=50(v)+20(v)[br][br]70v=280[br][br]v=450(5)+20(1.5)=50(v)+20(v)[br][br]70v=280[br][br]v=4
Sorry to be really annoying but why did you put the two masses on the right side? Edit: I know it now, because you calculated the total momentum, and to calculate the velocity you divide by the masses added together. Thank you very much!
(edited 10 years ago)
In relative terms, I think it is if you compare it to other M1 papers it is, but in terms of difficulty then yh it doesn't hold against M2 papers or the like.

And similar happened with me, I also got a 'low' score in that paper when I did it 3 days before the real exam, then I got full raw in Jan 2013 which imo was significantly easier. (Only tricky part was SW vectors :tongue:)

No, I'm talking relative. I think the relationship between M1 Jun 2013 and Jan 2009 is similar to that of M2 June 2012 and M2 Jan 2010 - the people sitting the former exams think that it's as difficult as the latter but it isn't.

(However, I wouldn't compare M1 Jan 2009 with M2 Jan 2010 in any other way though - whilst Jan 2009 is almost certainly the hardest exam paper for M1 it is not as noticeable as the difference between M2 Jan 2010 and any other M2 paper. There's an M3 paper which was noticeably more difficult than any other M3 paper (It technically went into M4 content) but I cannot remember which one it is specifically.)
Reply 819
Original post by Kosovaa
Sorry to be really annoying but why did you put the two masses on the right side? Edit: I know it now, because you calculated the total momentum, and to calculate the velocity you divide by the masses added together. Thank you very much!

Oh no problem, glad to help!

Latest

Trending

Trending