The Student Room Group

My driving lessons aren't an hour long?

This always seems to be the problem with big driving schools like AA/Homer's.. but I've been with the AA for 3 weeks and my lessons have never been to the full hour! I had my first two hour lesson which finished five minutes early, I had last Tuesday a lesson which should've gone from 6:15 to 7:15 but it went from 6:10 to 6:55, then Saturday which took the mick completely, a lesson from 9am to 10:45 which should've been 9-11! :eek:

I never realise at the time, but only when we finish driving. So it's still like 45 minutes and it's building up and I have my test in the matter of a few weeks, how can I say it without really damaging anything as I don't want him to turn round and stop bothering :redface:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I don't think that this is a situation to be reserved in - if you're paying for an hour then you should get an hour (and two for two), cutting 15 minutes off a lesson is a bit of a joke (unless he spends those 15 minutes discussing your driving with you?) and you should ask him about it - you're paying for these lessons after all.
Reply 3
Original post by Mr. Tizzy XII
I don't think that this is a situation to be reserved in - if you're paying for an hour then you should get an hour (and two for two), cutting 15 minutes off a lesson is a bit of a joke (unless he spends those 15 minutes discussing your driving with you?) and you should ask him about it - you're paying for these lessons after all.

Not at all, I see myself coming in the house 15 minutes before my lesson ends, and this has been on two occasions now.,

Posted from TSR Mobile
Pfft. Awkward as it may be i'd confront him about it! Or just pay him 75% of the lesson fee and see if he takes the hint :unimpressed:
Next time you have to pay for your lesson only pay 3/4 of it. If the instructor says your short, simply reply by saying "looks who's talking".
Reply 6
Take it as a sign you are nearing test ready, remember the actual test is only 35-40 mins long, however if you are desperately unhappy about finishing early, then you are obliged to say so because it is your right.
Original post by St Tezza
Take it as a sign you are nearing test ready, remember the actual test is only 35-40 mins long, however if you are desperately unhappy about finishing early, then you are obliged to say so because it is your right.

Well that's nonsense, he's just getting ripped off. Even if they do a mock test, the instructor could still tack on an extra 15 minutes of something that didn't go so well in the test eg. may have bumped a kerb on a parallel park, so do that a few times.
Reply 8
I learnt with the AA, so one of the big companies like you, and generally on a 1hr lesson, it will consist of about 55 mins driving, due to a couple of mins at the beginning and ending of lesson for admin/debrief about the lesson, but it was never more than 5 mins total - there was one time when we only had a 45 min lesson as he had something on right after, but he made sure my next lesson was 1hr 15 mins, and I didn't mind that. I'd say just speak to your instructor about it.
Reply 9
Original post by TomWBA
This always seems to be the problem with big driving schools like AA/Homer's.. but I've been with the AA for 3 weeks and my lessons have never been to the full hour! I had my first two hour lesson which finished five minutes early, I had last Tuesday a lesson which should've gone from 6:15 to 7:15 but it went from 6:10 to 6:55, then Saturday which took the mick completely, a lesson from 9am to 10:45 which should've been 9-11! :eek:

I never realise at the time, but only when we finish driving. So it's still like 45 minutes and it's building up and I have my test in the matter of a few weeks, how can I say it without really damaging anything as I don't want him to turn round and stop bothering :redface:

Sounds like day light robbery. If you're paying for the hour you should be having a lesson for an hour. It might seem a bit uncomfortable bringing it up but at the end of the day, its your money which you don't seem to be getting the most out of!
I was always amazed how my driving instructor managed to time the 'and if you can drive home now' comment so we always arrived at my house exactly on time (within a minute either way).

Just say to him 'Would you mind if we could make the lesson a full hour this time because the last few lessons we have been finishing 15 minutes early?'.
Reply 11
Original post by Hedgeman49
Well that's nonsense, he's just getting ripped off. Even if they do a mock test, the instructor could still tack on an extra 15 minutes of something that didn't go so well in the test eg. may have bumped a kerb on a parallel park, so do that a few times.

That's your opinion and you are entitled to it within reason. Look, at the end of the day all he has to do is ask "why do we finish early on a frequent basis"? It is not rude to ask questions when one is paying for a purpose, furthermore a instructor should never allow their circumstances to dictate on the grounds that purely inflates their self-interests.
Definitely don't let it happen again. It's your money you're wasting otherwise.
Also worth considering doing 2hr lessons. In any lesson he or you may be a few minutes late, then there's the hello's, chat about last time and what you'll be doing this time, and then maybe a drive to a suitable practice location. At the end you need to get home, chat about how it went, book the next lesson, and in the OP's case lose another few minutes because the instructor is taking the Mick. If you do 2 hours, the second hour is solid learning as you're already in the car doing it, with no need for hello's etc. Over 2 hours can be tiring, but I did 2 hour lessons when I was learning and flew through it all. I highly recommend it.
Reply 14
Original post by Walter Ego
Also worth considering doing 2hr lessons. In any lesson he or you may be a few minutes late, then there's the hello's, chat about last time and what you'll be doing this time, and then maybe a drive to a suitable practice location. At the end you need to get home, chat about how it went, book the next lesson, and in the OP's case lose another few minutes because the instructor is taking the Mick. If you do 2 hours, the second hour is solid learning as you're already in the car doing it, with no need for hello's etc. Over 2 hours can be tiring, but I did 2 hour lessons when I was learning and flew through it all. I highly recommend it.

I kinda agree, however I would go for 1.5hour lessons. It gives a perfect amount of time to get used to the car at the beggining of the lesson and then be able to get a good amount done. I have been having 1.5hour lessons and they seem the perfect length.
Perhaps you're driving too fast.
Tell him straight up!! It's your money going down the drain.
Driving lessons are hugely marked up prices anyway, and you're not even getting what you pay for right now. Try forcing him to use the whole hour/two hours: when you're coming back to your house and you know it's early, keep him talking, giving you feedback or explaining things, or ask to practice a manoeuvre a couple of times, just to get your money's worth. Don't get out or hand over the key until your time's up. You're the client, you call the shots on what he teaches you. Make him work for it. :wink:
Reply 18
Original post by TomWBA
:redface:

Wow, the instructor needs to sort himself/herself out, is there a way to complain to AA? If so, I'd do that...but yeah, i'd confront him next lesson about it if I were you, and make sure you tell him that you noticed that he's been doing that for the past few lessons, if he looks like he doesn't bother then simply change instructors. My instructor only charges £15 and hour and gives me 10-15 minutes extra every lesson.
Original post by Fjarskafinn
Driving lessons are hugely marked up prices anyway

Consider....

Car finance around £2000 a year
Maintenance £1500+ (2 services/yr + repairs + wear & tear)
Insurance £1000±
Fuel £4000±
Promotion £1000+
CRB checks, DSA tests, training and qualifications £????

=£9500 as a guess. Probably lots of other costs to add.

30hrs/wk @ £20/hr = £28,200
- £9500 = £18700
- tax = approx £14600, maybe ?

TBH, when you think that they are giving people a life skill which not only gives freedom and joy, but may keep you alive, they're quite cheap.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending