The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Mental Health Support Society Mk X

Scroll to see replies

Reply 580
Original post by Delain
I'm going on Friday with my dad (if she doesn't get any worse). Gah I'm so tired right now, been awake for nearly a day. :s-smilie:

:hugs: Sorry, just after I sent that I realised you said that in the original post :colondollar: I really really hope that you're able to visit her, and get a chance to say goodbye at least, even if it's still not good news. I'm sure whatever happens she knows that you love her dearly :hugs: You must be very tired! I hope you can relax and sleep well tonight, though I can imagine how worried you might be feeling right now :console:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 581
Original post by Anonymous
Hi everyone,

I feel so hopeless right now and I really don't know what to do. My whole family is so upset right now.
Could someone, anyone, please explain to me what it feels like to be depressed? My older brother had been suffering from depression for about 7 years now. I was pretty young when it first started so I just thought that this was a phase which he would eventually grow out of. I didn't really take it very serious because I had no idea what depression actually was and my parents used to pretty much hid their feelings and emotions from me to make it seem like everything was ok.

Now that I have grown up a bit and read up on depression I am just curious what is going through his mind. Him and my dad just had a pretty massive argument and he said "If only you could live my life for a day and see how I feel". That had always been his argument, but he never tells us how he feels. He has told us many times he thought about suicide but thankfully he hasn't commited it and I really hope to God that he will never commit it. He said the main reason he never did it was because he knew that it would have destroyed my mum.

What I do know is that the depression has been build up over a number of tragedies during his youth. He has been through a lot even as a child; I guess he never really had a proper childhood, he was always kinda like a miniature adult.

He used to be pretty health conscious and go to the gym and eat healthy, but over the past couple of months he stopped doing so. He also drinks alcohol from time to time and doesn't believe in God which is a pretty big deal since we are a muslim family.

So what I am saying is that i know different people obviously react differently but what should I do as a little sister. I tried talking to him but he keeps the conversation fairly short and I tried buying him stiff to try and cheer him up. But I honestly don't know what else to do to try and lift up his spirits and to show him that I actually care.

How would you want your siblings to be like around you. Would you rather they left you alone or for them to show you that they care?

Thanks for anyone who has read this.

I think you should just tell him that you're there for him, like you'll always listen to him whatever he wants to say. I personally dont think you need to do anything else. I think you should talk about normal things, thats what i do with my sister. My sisters 16, and i cant ever imagine telling her how i feel (i have depression too):frown: because i feel like she wouldnt understand.

I hope your brother gets through this :jumphug:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Have you got special arrangements for your exams? I'm not quite sure how these things work at secondary school level but there must be things your school can do to support you :hugs:

I haven't. I've been thinking about it but I never looked into it. Do you reckon I should?
Reply 583
Original post by 08batee
:hugs: Sorry, just after I sent that I realised you said that in the original post :colondollar: I really really hope that you're able to visit her, and get a chance to say goodbye at least, even if it's still not good news. I'm sure whatever happens she knows that you love her dearly :hugs: You must be very tired! I hope you can relax and sleep well tonight, though I can imagine how worried you might be feeling right now :console:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Mum said she'd been asking about me, that made me cry so much. :frown:
Original post by 08batee
:jumphug: Sorry you're feeling so awful. I'm here if you want to talk. I'm sure it didn't go as badly as you may have felt it did - with those kind of things I think it's natural to think about the mistakes you made rather than the good stuff you said :hugs:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks. I felt really **** before the exam (not about the exam just about life) then the exam just added to it. Feel like the only thing going for me is intelligence and even that I'm doubting now. :hugs: doesn't help that the teacher who refuses to mark my work until I get learning support teachers involved cancelled my oral exam so I turned up and another teacher was like wtf why are you here? Luckily she sorted it out for me. Just mehh. How are you :hugs:

Original post by PonchoKid
if it helps, i was thinking of you earlier as i made a whole roast chicken and only me to eat it. i needed a chicken companion and only thought of you :hugs:
im sure they wernt looking at you like you were crazy at all :nah:
.......................................................................................................................................................................................
just had a beautiful conversation with my mum where i had to be for money off her, then she was going on about how i need to apply for jobs and blah blah blah i love her to peices but i need to finish uni first
i just need a break, like along break away from everything on a desert island.
failing that i could just sit and cry

Posted from TSR Mobile

Awwwwwww. Not going to lie I always think of you and nut when I see a roastie :smile:
As fir your mum have you explained how bad things are for you atm and that a job would most likely worsen things before end of uni :hugs:

---------------
Anyone know if android app has somewhere the who quoted me thing... because I'm just randomly refreshing the thread and it's **** probably missing people's comments
Reply 585
Amg oing all flashbackyy bleh. rerally dont wa t to atall btt dont think i can sttop it either. hopign is jst minor tactieles not about to turn into mre full blown, scaredt though.
Reply 586
Original post by Delain
Mum said she'd been asking about me, that made me cry so much. :frown:

Oh hun :frown: :jumphug: :jumphug: I feel awful for you, I know it can be so difficult. I just really hope, for you and her, that you're able to see her again. :hugs: Im always here if you want to talk things through. :console:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 587
Original post by 08batee
Oh hun :frown: :jumphug: :jumphug: I feel awful for you, I know it can be so difficult. I just really hope, for you and her, that you're able to see her again. :hugs: Im always here if you want to talk things through. :console:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you, you're lovely. :hugs: Like my other half just said to me, I should be thankful I got so many years with her in my life. He's ever the source of wisdom.
Reply 588
Original post by ANONYM00SE
Thanks. I felt really **** before the exam (not about the exam just about life) then the exam just added to it. Feel like the only thing going for me is intelligence and even that I'm doubting now. :hugs: doesn't help that the teacher who refuses to mark my work until I get learning support teachers involved cancelled my oral exam so I turned up and another teacher was like wtf why are you here? Luckily she sorted it out for me. Just mehh. How are you :hugs:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Awwwwwww. Not going to lie I always think of you and nut when I see a roastie :smile:
As fir your mum have you explained how bad things are for you atm and that a job would most likely worsen things before end of uni :hugs:

---------------
Anyone know if android app has somewhere the who quoted me thing... because I'm just randomly refreshing the thread and it's **** probably missing people's comments

No way is that the only thing going for you, not AT all :jumphug: You're so lovely and compassionate, you've been there a lot for me, I can tell that you're totally genuine about it as well. And you're super strong, you've been through do much and you're still fighting. You're determined and persevere with things, the fact you're still trying with your A levels despite everything is nothing but a credit to yourself - I know I couldn't do it. And on top of that, you're incredibly intelligent and I know you'll achieve the best. I promise you, you have a lot going for you :jumphug: You can do this, I'm sorry you're feeling rubbish though. Hopefully when you're exams are over you'll have time to have a bit of a breather and things will improve :hugs:
I'm up and down, currently down, but I'll be alright, thanks :hugs: (see, even when things are **** for you, you're asking how I am :tongue: you're lovely)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 589
Original post by Delain
Thank you, you're lovely. :hugs: Like my other half just said to me, I should be thankful I got so many years with her in my life. He's ever the source of wisdom.

Not at all, I wish I could be more helpful. I do know how awful things like this can be though, but I promise that although it's so upsetting, with time you'll be able to look over your time with her with the fondest memories :hugs: Im glad you have such a supportive parter :yes: I was going to say the same but I wasn't sure whether it would upset you more or not so I thought I'd better just send some hugs instead :hugs:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 590
Original post by 08batee
Not at all, I wish I could be more helpful. I do know how awful things like this can be though, but I promise that although it's so upsetting, with time you'll be able to look over your time with her with the fondest memories :hugs: Im glad you have such a supportive parter :yes: I was going to say the same but I wasn't sure whether it would upset you more or not so I thought I'd better just send some hugs instead :hugs:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aww no it's fine, it's really nice of you to even talk to me cos I don't know you. :hugs:
can feel a beautiful break down coming on. how how i love uni.
Reply 592
Original post by Delain
Aww no it's fine, it's really nice of you to even talk to me cos I don't know you. :hugs:

No worries at all hun :smile: Sending best wishes to you and your nan :jumphug:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sultana
Sorry I've run out of words, but it really doesn't make you an awful person at all. There are lots of awful people in this world, but someone who is really struggling and has to make this tough choice to miss a funeral and maybe doesnt make their exam is definitely not included.

Don't worry, words are hard :yes: Yeah I guess. I'm just relying on Sparknotes to get me through the next 15 hours! That's about all I can manage haha
I feel so oddly disconnected and out-of-it, in the highest, most gleefully uncaring way, all of a sudden. I'm not complaining, though I know I'll do something to regret...
Original post by asdfgah
Amg oing all flashbackyy bleh. rerally dont wa t to atall btt dont think i can sttop it either. hopign is jst minor tactieles not about to turn into mre full blown, scaredt though.

:jumphug: hope your okay now hun!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Spoiler

Reply 597
Feel quite teary. Think it's gonna be a long night tonight

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well, eek. I did do something to regret, and now [possible TW]

Spoiler

I do the silliest things for momentary highs. Whee.
Reply 599
Original post by ParadoxSocks
I'm sure you'll pull it off, just breathe and stay focused and you will be great :hugs:

Thanks, only got as far as opening my books that day, the furthest I've got :sad:

Latest