The Student Room Group

Can Someone Explain Clearing To Me?

I'm getting confused as to how this process works. I don't think I'm gonna need to go through it but just in case I'd like to understand it.

How does one go about securing a place via clearing? The main thing that's confusing me is how much of the process is online and how much is ringing up unis like PLZ LET ME IN.

Can anyone shed some light? :smile:
Original post by BioIz
I'm getting confused as to how this process works. I don't think I'm gonna need to go through it but just in case I'd like to understand it.

How does one go about securing a place via clearing? The main thing that's confusing me is how much of the process is online and how much is ringing up unis like PLZ LET ME IN.

Can anyone shed some light? :smile:

Clearing opens in July. However the majority of course are added on results day. If you don't meet your conditions for your firm and insurance places, and they won't accept you with the grades you did get, then you'll go through clearing.

On results day, you'll look on UCAS at their clearing list and see which uni's have the course you're looking for. You then have to phone the university you're interested in telling them your grades etc etc, and they say whether they'll accept you. If they say yes, you apply via UCAS Clearing online. if they say no you then phone another university.
Reply 2
If you don't get into your firm or insurance then UCAS will tell you that you are in clearing. On your online UCAS form they will give you your clearing number.

You then need to look at the vacancies. The official vacancy lists are published on the UCAS website and in The Telegraph newspaper.

Once you have your exam results you need to start contacting universities by phone. You will need to tell them which course you are interested in and if they will consider your application. They will ask you for all of the information they need, including your clearing number.

Some of the universities might give you an informal offer. You need to decide which one to accept.

You then go onto your online UCAS track and click on the 'add clearing choice' button, where you will enter the details of the university and course that you have an informal offer for (you may only add one choice).

If the university accepts you, they will let UCAS know and this acceptance will be displayed on track.

Look at the UCAS website for more information on clearing:

UCAS clearing
Lots of good sensible info and advice here : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Guide_to_Clearing

Read it all carefully.
Reply 4
Original post by Knalchemist
Clearing opens in July. However the majority of course are added on results day. If you don't meet your conditions for your firm and insurance places, and they won't accept you with the grades you did get, then you'll go through clearing.<br />
<br />
On results day, you'll look on UCAS at their clearing list and see which uni's have the course you're looking for. You then have to phone the university you're interested in telling them your grades etc etc, and they say whether they'll accept you. If they say yes, you apply via UCAS Clearing online. if they say no you then phone another university.
<br />
<br />

Original post by Zottula
If you don't get into your firm or insurance then UCAS will tell you that you are in clearing. On your online UCAS form they will give you your clearing number. <br />
<br />
You then need to look at the vacancies. The official vacancy lists are published on the UCAS website and in The Telegraph newspaper.<br />
<br />
Once you have your exam results you need to start contacting universities by phone. You will need to tell them which course you are interested in and if they will consider your application. They will ask you for all of the information they need, including your clearing number. <br />
<br />
Some of the universities might give you an informal offer. You need to decide which one to accept.<br />
<br />
You then go onto your online UCAS track and click on the 'add clearing choice' button, where you will enter the details of the university and course that you have an informal offer for (you may only add one choice).<br />
<br />
If the university accepts you, they will let UCAS know and this acceptance will be displayed on track.<br />
<br />
Look at the UCAS website for more information on clearing:<br />
<br />
<a rel="nofollow" href="http://www.ucas.ac.uk/students/nextsteps/clearing/todo" target="_blank">UCAS clearing</a>
<br />
<br />

Original post by returnmigrant
Lots of good sensible info and advice here : <a href="http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Guide_to_Clearing" target="_blank">http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Guide_to_Clearing</a><br />
<br />
Read it <i>all</i> carefully.
<br />

thanks for the info :smile:
<br />

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending