The Student Room Group
University of York
York

Postgrads 2013

Anybody else applied for postgraduate studies at York and if so what course?

I've applied for Adv. Comp sci and got an unconditional offer but I need to wait for the CAS(I think that's what it's called) so I can apply and hopefully get my student visa.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MantaRey
Anybody else applied for postgraduate studies at York and if so what course?

I've applied for Adv. Comp sci and got an unconditional offer but I need to wait for the CAS(I think that's what it's called) so I can apply and hopefully get my student visa.

Sorry. Wanted to reply earlier, and can only give a quick message here as I have to rush somewhere.

I'm also a prospective postgrad. Looking to study a PhD in Medieval History. Like you, I'm left waiting for news on funding (I'm assuming CAS is the scholarship you've applied for? Sorry if I'm wrong). Its enough to drive you mad, isn't it?
University of York
York
Reply 2
Original post by Drunk In Time!
Sorry. Wanted to reply earlier, and can only give a quick message here as I have to rush somewhere.

I'm also a prospective postgrad. Looking to study a PhD in Medieval History. Like you, I'm left waiting for news on funding (I'm assuming CAS is the scholarship you've applied for? Sorry if I'm wrong). Its enough to drive you mad, isn't it?

Well I'm applying for a taught masters, so really no need of funding. The CAS is something they send the UKBA so I can get my visa, but they say they only do it 6 months before the course starts so I'm waiting for that.

How is the PhD application process? You submit a research proposal along with your application?
Well I'm applying for a taught masters, so really no need of funding. The CAS is something they send the UKBA so I can get my visa, but they say they only do it 6 months before the course starts so I'm waiting for that.

How is the PhD application process? You submit a research proposal along with your application?

Hmm. I needed funding to study my Masters. Was lucky to get it, too!

Whereabouts are you from? Well, whether its funding or a VISA, waiting is a pain in the arse, isn't it?

The PhD process is pretty straight forward, but - as you say - there is a lot of emphasis on the research proposal. Its the most important part of it, in fact, and the part that requires the most thought and effort. I didn't have any official interviews, per se, though I have met a lot of the relevant people and impressed them enough to get their input and approval.

Naturally, the application may vary depending on your course.

I take it you're thinking of studying a PhD? At York or elsewhere? Have any ideas on your research proposal yet? Too soon?
Reply 4
As to where I'm from I could give you a couple different answers, but as far as the UKBA is concerned I'm from the States so I'll go with that without boring you with my life story. I find it rather odd that people from places like Romania can study in the UK without a visa (I know it's EU, but still...) while I cannot.

Waiting is a huge pain. I'm filling out all sorts of applications along the side as well (renewing a drivers license, summer job app, scholarship app, etc), and then after the CAS comes through I need to fill out the visa app and hope I get it before my flight to another country for said job.

I am considering doing a PhD at some point down the line, though I haven't really had an idea on a research proposal on my own. At the end of the masters we have to do a research project over the summer so that should give me time and more exposure to figure that out. As to where I would do my PhD I can't really say. Since I am technically a California resident even though I don't live in the States anymore, I may apply there. I can't say that will work out though, since they seem to want a 4 years bachelors (I have 3) and a 2 years masters (I will have 1).
Reply 5
I've applied for the PPE MA, hoping to hear back soon! Any ideas on what college you guys might be going for? :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by JayGats
I've applied for the PPE MA, hoping to hear back soon! Any ideas on what college you guys might be going for? :smile:

Hooray, another postrgrad!

Though the CS department is on Heslington East I'm thinking I'd rather be on the main campus. Wentworth seems pretty nice, but James and Alcuin are also on my radar. I'd prefer to be some place peaceful. Best of luck with your application!
Reply 7
Hooray, another postrgrad!

Though the CS department is on Heslington East I'm thinking I'd rather be on the main campus. Wentworth seems pretty nice, but James and Alcuin are also on my radar. I'd prefer to be some place peaceful. Best of luck with your application!

Yeah for sure! Alcuin, James and Derwent seem to tickle for me. Politics and Philosophy seem to be located in Derwent so that would be handy, but i'm not sure how committed I am to it being the rowdiest college. I tell myself I want to party, but I also need to work. :smile:
Reply 8
Hi all,

In the course of doing an MA in Medieval Studies at York at the moment and will begin a PhD in History in September.
Reply 9
I'm on the MSc in Cyber Security at the moment, and I'm starting my PhD in cryptanalysis in October :smile:
Reply 10
Both of those postgrad degrees sound absolutely brilliant, haha! Thought that needed to be said. :smile:
Reply 11
I have applied and accepted my unconditional MSc Computing offer
Reply 12
Original post by JayGats
Both of those postgrad degrees sound absolutely brilliant, haha! Thought that needed to be said. :smile:

Thanks :smile: It's fun trying to explain my dissertation/thesis topic to people, but both can be kind of summed-up as trying to apply some techniques from artificial intelligence to breaking ciphers - it's a fun discipline!
Reply 13
how long did it take for you guys to get an offer? I'm waiting just over 5 weeks now... :frown:
Reply 14
Original post by JayGats
how long did it take for you guys to get an offer? I'm waiting just over 5 weeks now... :frown:

Ughhhhhhh.... I applied in mid December and got an interview in mid Jan and got admission in early Feb.
Reply 15
applied at 6 of April and offer received at 16-20 of May can't really remember, no interviews or anything

(for MSc)
Hi everyone

I'm starting an MA in Political Research in September.
Reply 17
Original post by Ex Lion Tamer
Hi everyone

I'm starting an MA in Political Research in September.

Nice! I've just been offered the MA in PPE :smile:
Reply 18
Congrats! I've also just received the offer for MA in PPE :smile:

If there is anybody else who is planning to go for MA in PPE it might be cool to have some chat, get to know each other, share some info etc :smile:
Reply 19
Is anyone planning on studying a postgrad English programme in York? I'll be enrolling in the Modern and Contemporary Literature and Culture course this October and can't wait to start!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending