The Student Room Group

Higher Biology Exam?!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Oh thank god thank you Nessie.
Reply 121
What is the normal percentage for an A band 1?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 122
what are we thinkin the basic pass mark will be for this ? The last two years has been 62 and the year before that 58. Thinking around about the same ?
Reply 123
Original post by mwellno1
what are we thinkin the basic pass mark will be for this ? The last two years has been 62 and the year before that 58. Thinking around about the same ?

Due to the problem solving difficulty, I think the pass mark may be lowered, maybe not as low as 58 but I don't see any chance of the pass mark going up above 65 :lol:
Reply 124
Original post by RHIANALESSANDRA
By god that bird one was a bastard. Graph reading and evaluation skills are NIL in me...

And that is probably why I feel like crying. I wanted to sit Higher Biology not bloody Higher Graphs.
What did everyone write for the question on the curled leaf where it asked for the advantage of the leaf bring curled to reduce water loss?
Reply 126
Original post by Hannah1709
What did everyone write for the question on the curled leaf where it asked for the advantage of the leaf bring curled to reduce water loss?

I put that it traps moist air and thus lowers the evaporation gradient and also transpiration rate.
Reply 127
Original post by Nessie162
Photosynthesis (Light Dependent Stage + Pigments)
Protein Synthesis ? ( mRNA and Function of proteins)

Osmoregulation
Succession

You know for the essays questions in biology? Do you HAVE to write the essays questions under headings?

reduced air movements which lowers wind speed and reduces transpiration
Reply 129

Surface area decreased so water loss by transpiration is reduced.
Original post by xoJennyox
I put that it traps moist air and thus lowers the evaporation gradient and also transpiration rate.

Aw ok! I think I've done it wrong, I put the conditions would be dark as no light would get in and so the stomata would be closed and flaccid therefore reducing water loss, so wrong! :frown:
Also, see for the succession essay, did you have to mention both primary and secondary succession?
If you had to guess the cut-off scores for this what would they be? I was hoping for an A but I can't see myself getting at least 91 marks :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by eilidhb
What is the normal percentage for an A band 1?

I got an A band 1 in my Biology higher (sat it last year). I got 94% but I think the cut off is around 85% :smile:
Reply 134
Original post by Eilidh.DearX
I got an A band 1 in my Biology higher (sat it last year). I got 94% but I think the cut off is around 85% :smile:

That's so amazing!

Reply 135
Did anyone do the translation of mRNA essay question ? What did you write about ?
for god sake, every time I think of a question it gets worse.. no chance anyone has the paper? I just want to do damage limitations
Reply 137
Original post by Eilidh.DearX

I think it may be go down a bit to maybe 82% this year because of the increased problem solving questions... whereas last year the exam was easier.
2012 Revised Paper Q8
http://www.sqa.org.uk/pastpapers/papers/papers/2012/H_Biology-(Revised)_All_2012.pdf

Similar to question in our paper.... Almost identical I'd say...
Here's the answer from the marking scheme
"Resistance gene has been interrupted/split/broken
up/disrupted" Unacceptable Answer: part removed/changed
Original post by Nessie162
2012 Revised Paper Q8
http://www.sqa.org.uk/pastpapers/papers/papers/2012/H_Biology-(Revised)_All_2012.pdf

Similar to question in our paper.... Almost identical I'd say...
Here's the answer from the marking scheme
"Resistance gene has been interrupted/split/broken
up/disrupted" Unacceptable Answer: part removed/changed

i wrote the location was wrong, it has been split by human blood clotting gene and would be wrong coded for and wouldn't arise

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending